luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - May 2022

Rate this topic

115 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, luckyOC said:

To each their own... Ill sway ya if we fished a tide together on the sand :howdy:.  I would say 99% of the time i need them on delmarva

...and i was referring to normally, spinner reels cost more than conv. 

I love my 3k stratic on the wepon jr i built... i can catch spot with it, and fun with 20-30lb class fish from the floating jetty.

It only took one tide fishing with your and Rocks and Reds to convince me years ago!   I'll never forget it. :hi5:

19 hours ago, Catskill John said:

And never tell your wife how much that reel/rod cost.....

I'm lucky.  I always got away with gear I wanted to purchase.  

I've gotten a few not so subtle hints about the bourbon collection though....

4 hours ago, KOSS said:

I've gotten a few not so subtle hints about the bourbon collection though....

Trouble with bourbon, it eventually is turned into pee :howdy:

Kind of slow yesterday down by the VA line.  Some dogfish early and then skates, skates and more skates.  On the way out we noticed this guy getting a tan.  

Crappy phone pic

IMG_1172.jpg

5 hours ago, dj1975232 said:

Kind of slow yesterday down by the VA line.  Some dogfish early and then skates, skates and more skates.  On the way out we noticed this guy getting a tan.  

Crappy phone pic

IMG_1172.jpg

Well now I know why I didn't catch anything.   Waged war against the striped Burrfish and clearnose skates for 4 days.  Had a great knockdown sunday about 7am but by time I reached the rod either the striper spit the bait or I pulled it out of his mouth.  Such is my life.  Oh well there is always next year.

AIMD today, 2 striped ones, a 40" released and a slot fish at 35", all on sand flea.  Had another decent sized fish cut off my 50 lb leader.  It is either blue or shark, but on fleas?  I caught plenty of blues on sand fleas in FL when pompano fishing, but never on AI.

When wind switched to E, ocean water was super clean and surf was beautiful.  All day only had 3 bites, resulting in 2 fish.  Not a single skate or dog fish.  Not complaining but unusual for late May.

striper.jpg

2 hours ago, nano said:

AIMD today, 2 striped ones, a 40" released and a slot fish at 35", all on sand flea.  Had another decent sized fish cut off my 50 lb leader.  It is either blue or shark, but on fleas?  I caught plenty of blues on sand fleas in FL when pompano fishing, but never on AI.

When wind switched to E, ocean water was super clean and surf was beautiful.  All day only had 3 bites, resulting in 2 fish.  Not a single skate or dog fish.  Not complaining but unusual for late May.

striper.jpg

Nice work Nano. I fished AI-VA Saturday and Sunday morning...sand fleas , peeler and bloodworms...one skate. 

13 hours ago, dixiekraut said:

Nice work Nano. I fished AI-VA Saturday and Sunday morning...sand fleas , peeler and bloodworms...one skate. 

Thanks.  May be they moved up to MD :).

When I left around 3 pm, the surf was as fishy as can be.  I suspect that I would caught more if I had stayed into the golden hours with the tide dropping from the high.  Yet, there was nobody around fishing.  Very few vehicles on the beach.  Most were tourists type, few fishermen.  In the past, the beach would have been packed this time of the year.

16 mins ago, nano said:

Thanks.  May be they moved up to MD :).

When I left around 3 pm, the surf was as fishy as can be.  I suspect that I would caught more if I had stayed into the golden hours with the tide dropping from the high.  Yet, there was nobody around fishing.  Very few vehicles on the beach.  Most were tourists type, few fishermen.  In the past, the beach would have been packed this time of the year.

In my humble opinion striper fishing at AI-Md & Va peaked around 2005-2006 ( all those juvenile rockfish saved during the moratorium in the 80's grew up to be tackle busters ...as the slammer bluefish population declined. ) I managed to get in on some of that big striper activity in the early 2000's...but sadly I think over fishing has drastically dwindled their numbers. We are lucky to have the spring black drum and some reds in the fall......but it looks like we are going through another transition.

3 hours ago, spinr0k said:

I see drum on the menu of many restaurant's so I guess someone is getting them (in nets).

Probably the ones that surround the hook 50 yards off the beach 

Posted (edited) · Report post

A couple pics of some blues from last outings, dropped some bigger fish while fishing some holes out front.

B9AC4ED7-FBDC-4E58-A9E6-482B672ACE4D.png

5928DB56-1779-474F-AF15-816AC4470933.jpeg

Edited by rdiezel