luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - May 2022

Rate this topic

115 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Steve Coleman said:

fwiw when you get a bird, get it to the beach and drop a shirt or towel on it's head so it can't see.   It will go limp and allow you to untangle it.  

Yep.  Had to use my t shirt more than once.  If you are dealing with a bird of prey giving them a stick to hold with their talons can help too.

12 hours ago, Steve Coleman said:

fwiw when you get a bird, get it to the beach and drop a shirt or towel on it's head so it can't see.   It will go limp and allow you to untangle it.  

This is one of the best pieces of advice I've gotten on here lately! Thanks

Posted (edited) · Report post

I once ended a seagull with a 8oz sinker, sounded like a shotgun and a big poof of feathers… thing flew right into a cast right at the start… wasnt intentional, cant see it happening again… didn't need a towel  for that instance :wee:

just saw NPS update…

DBA7D6A1-CCE4-41A2-ACDD-988D227AFA2E.jpeg.d71641a334a0c29b17ab97f378dc41e9.jpeg

Edited by luckyOC

23 mins ago, luckyOC said:

I once ended a seagull with a 8oz sinker, sounded like a shotgun and a big poof of feathers… thing flew right into a cast right at the start… wasnt intentional, cant see it happening again… didn't need a towel  for that instance :wee:

just saw NPS update…

DBA7D6A1-CCE4-41A2-ACDD-988D227AFA2E.jpeg.d71641a334a0c29b17ab97f378dc41e9.jpeg

Thanks for that update!  Figures that when I decide to possibly go, mother nature has different plans. 

13 hours ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

Sounds like a good idea. I normally don’t carry any towels because normally a towel is for wiping fish slime off of hands and that’s what my pants are for lol. I guess I’ll make sure to carry one from now on.

I have an outdoor shower bag that I hang from my ladder rack. Love it  for rinsing my hands, rinsing off weights when putting them away etc.df0e71fd-3618-4834-90ce-b97ff71f87dd.d4b

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, cdsleeve said:

I have an outdoor shower bag that I hang from my ladder rack. Love it  for rinsing my hands, rinsing off weights when putting them away etc.df0e71fd-3618-4834-90ce-b97ff71f87dd.d4b

This is what I came up with last year. The shower bag looks nice though. I could hang it over the side of the bed out of the way. 

IMG_8857.jpg

Edited by Frank2104

Mind your eye balls!  A buddy of mine got tangled up with a big gull the first fall we graduated from high school -1974.  The bird poked his eye out.  He's been sporting a glass one ever since.

We did come up with a honey of a variation to a poem though:

Georgie Porgie puddin' and pie

Hooked a gull and lost an eye

When the girls came out to play

He could see only half of they

No mercy...  lol

On 5/10/2022 at 0:40 PM, ProSkateFisherman said:

The other day I was out on AI and I had just brought in my lines to rebait. Got the one on the far left in, fixed it up, casted out again. About 5 seconds later I look at my rod tip, bouncing like crazy. I said "No way I have a fish that fast." I was right about that. A sandpiper ran into my line and was going crazy. Had to bring him in from 50 yards out, finally got him in and tried to grab hold of him to get him off. Thankfully he was barely tangled because he got free before I could even touch him. Flew away fine. Felt bad for him. Didn't get anything other than a bird that day. That was a first lol.

I’ve tangled a few different species of gulls many times. I’ve caught cormorants and loons while live lining.. one cormorant got hooked three times in one day, he made me rethink my stance on how smart birds are. I’ve had ospreys dive on poppers and grab short stripers that were being reeling in. Somehow managed to catch a pigeon at night - it flew out from under a pier while I was jigging. My most recent accomplishment was a bat - I know, not a bird, but close enough. He flew off and seemed to be fine. The birds can be a PITA, the bat was cool.

FDD2475E-020A-419C-B5CB-A5BF19A01670.jpeg

Speaking of catching birds.  A seagull got tangled in my line last fall while drum fishing.   Only benefit I was able to derive from the experience was that it kept the skunk off.  Always look on the bright side.

On 5/12/2022 at 2:23 AM, Tyger92 said:

I’ve tangled a few different species of gulls many times. I’ve caught cormorants and loons while live lining.. one cormorant got hooked three times in one day, he made me rethink my stance on how smart birds are. I’ve had ospreys dive on poppers and grab short stripers that were being reeling in. Somehow managed to catch a pigeon at night - it flew out from under a pier while I was jigging. My most recent accomplishment was a bat - I know, not a bird, but close enough. He flew off and seemed to be fine. The birds can be a PITA, the bat was cool.

FDD2475E-020A-419C-B5CB-A5BF19A01670.jpeg

It's times like these where I wish the rat-on-a-mirrorlure video my dad took was watchable.

Without proof it's just another fish story....

On 5/10/2022 at 8:54 PM, Steve Coleman said:

That is exactly how I met my wife.

She still goes limp everytime I whip out my rod.

Any signs of bait around? Water has been looking pretty good these past days, will be heading out tonight to hopefully get into something out front.

1 hour ago, rdiezel said:

Any signs of bait around? Water has been looking pretty good these past days, will be heading out tonight to hopefully get into something out front.

Saw a bunch of peanut bunker washed up on a de bay beach. I missed the bite the few times I tried but couldn't get away from the fam for the right tides. There's been a lot bluefish around nearing 30". Hopefully they stick around a few more weeks. 

19 hours ago, rdiezel said:

I saw some small birds diving into the water out past the bar. Couldn't see what they were on, and it lasted but a second or two.