luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - May 2022

Rate this topic

115 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

New De state record

279948267_7592280280812597_3973497290521532468_n.jpg

Kinda sad that fish was probably over 40 years old

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Haycreekrambler said:

Kinda sad that fish was probably over 40 years old

I was thinking that too. I never keep large fish. Can’t bring myself to do it for some reason. They’ve lived this long so who am I to end their life right then. I let them go to live another day.  I’ll keep smaller fish sometimes. At least it didn’t go to waste

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not always catching on AI in recent years but a great 4 days before the blow and rain. 2 drum 2 stripers and 1 blue. Also ran into a few big Ray's and experienced Skate city. All stripers and big drum released. Can't wait till next year!

PXL_20220429_160811507.jpg

PXL_20220429_205740858.jpg

PXL_20220501_171523528.jpg

PXL_20220429_164433617.jpg

IMG_1585(1).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2022 at 6:22 PM, Captain Ahab said:

New De state record

279948267_7592280280812597_3973497290521532468_n.jpg

Congratulations Capt Brent on a well deserved fish ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The other day I was out on AI and I had just brought in my lines to rebait. Got the one on the far left in, fixed it up, casted out again. About 5 seconds later I look at my rod tip, bouncing like crazy. I said "No way I have a fish that fast." I was right about that. A sandpiper ran into my line and was going crazy. Had to bring him in from 50 yards out, finally got him in and tried to grab hold of him to get him off. Thankfully he was barely tangled because he got free before I could even touch him. Flew away fine. Felt bad for him. Didn't get anything other than a bird that day. That was a first lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't underestimate fresh bait dropping in front of a hungry fish,  I have had some grab it as soon as it hit the water.  Now mind you most of this was with the toothy variety.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, spinr0k said:

Don't underestimate fresh bait dropping in front of a hungry fish,  I have had some grab it as soon as it hit the water.  Now mind you most of this was with the toothy variety.

Yup.  I always hold the rod for a bit after splash down.  Was fresh water but I'll never forget.  30  plus years ago. Cast out a peeler crawfish on a bobber.  Bobber never came up.  It was instant.  Drag screemed and my dumb ass cranked it down.  Never got to see it.

Edited by Stryper Snyper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, spinr0k said:

Don't underestimate fresh bait dropping in front of a hungry fish,  I have had some grab it as soon as it hit the water.  Now mind you most of this was with the toothy variety.

I’ve had this happen with dogfish in november. The bait can’t even sit for 3 seconds. That same day I caught the dogs I caught that huge skate. 7 pounds, couldn’t believe it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stryper Snyper said:

Yup.  I always hold the rod for a bit after splash down.  Was fresh water but I'll never forget.  30  plus years ago. Cast out a peeler crawfish on a bobber.  Bobber never came up.  It was instant.  Drag screened and my dumb ass cranked it down.  Never got to see it.

Freshwater you say? Gonna say carp. Or a huge smallmouth. I’ve caught 40 pound carp on crayfish. They LOVE crayfish. If you want to catch a carp in a water that has an abundance of crayfish, use them. If there aren’t crayfish in the water use corn. Using crayfish I’ve also caught medium-large sized smallmouths as bycatch. Also could have been a muskie. I’ve watched big (40”+) muskies pick up crayfish and eat them. Of course they won’t eat anything you throw at them lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

The other day I was out on AI and I had just brought in my lines to rebait. Got the one on the far left in, fixed it up, casted out again. About 5 seconds later I look at my rod tip, bouncing like crazy. I said "No way I have a fish that fast." I was right about that. A sandpiper ran into my line and was going crazy. Had to bring him in from 50 yards out, finally got him in and tried to grab hold of him to get him off. Thankfully he was barely tangled because he got free before I could even touch him. Flew away fine. Felt bad for him. Didn't get anything other than a bird that day. That was a first lol.

Gets fun as they get bigger.  Pelicans are the worst I've dealt with.  Worth keeping a towel in the truck to calm them down to untie them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dj1975232 said:

Gets fun as they get bigger.  Pelicans are the worst I've dealt with.  Worth keeping a towel in the truck to calm them down to untie them.  

I caught a seagull once on the OC beach. Got himself out, but I was even able to get near it. Highly aggressive. And I had beach goers watching, judging from afar. Then I caught a seagull on a pier and this guy came over to help and almost cracked my rod tip in half. Thank god that seagull wasn’t hooked because my brand new, custom made inshore/smallmouth rod made by myself for myself almost got snapped in half by some tourists fat hand. Gull came off right as he was about to grab the rod. Never fishing plugs on a crowded pier ever again. Can’t stand people touching my stuff. And people letting their dogs eat my bait! Keep your damned dog away from my bunker! And people not picking up dog crap… ugh! I can’t stand these people! :banghd: I could rant about tourists and dog walkers all day lol. I’m blessed to have only had 2 encounters with birds in my surf fishing career. Only problem I’ve had with pelicans is they wait at piers and when you release a fish they come over and eat it mid air. That’s down in Florida though, not up here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

I caught a seagull once on the OC beach. Got himself out, but I was even able to get near it. Highly aggressive. And I had beach goers watching, judging from afar. Then I caught a seagull on a pier and this guy came over to help and almost cracked my rod tip in half. Thank god that seagull wasn’t hooked because my brand new, custom made inshore/smallmouth rod made by myself for myself almost got snapped in half by some tourists fat hand. Gull came off right as he was about to grab the rod. Never fishing plugs on a crowded pier ever again. Can’t stand people touching my stuff. And people letting their dogs eat my bait! Keep your damned dog away from my bunker! And people not picking up dog crap… ugh! I can’t stand these people! :banghd: I could rant about tourists and dog walkers all day lol. I’m blessed to have only had 2 encounters with birds in my surf fishing career. Only problem I’ve had with pelicans is they wait at piers and when you release a fish they come over and eat it mid air. That’s down in Florida though, not up here.

Trying to deal with a seagull that ate a subsurface plug while on a kayak and then gets hooked on every place possible is more fun to deal with. Ask me how I know lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

fwiw when you get a bird, get it to the beach and drop a shirt or towel on it's head so it can't see.   It will go limp and allow you to untangle it.  

 

Edited by Steve Coleman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 mins ago, Steve Coleman said:

fwiw when you get a bird, get it to the beach and drop a shirt or towel on it's head so it can't see.   It will go limp and allow you to untangle it.  

 

Sounds like a good idea. I normally don’t carry any towels because normally a towel is for wiping fish slime off of hands and that’s what my pants are for lol. I guess I’ll make sure to carry one from now on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.