luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - May 2022

Rate this topic

115 posts in this topic

As always, this is the place for your reports... as little or as much detail as you care to share, with hopefully a good bit less focus posted on exact spots, times, and locations. Any and all word from the local waters welcome here, and "no fish" reports are welcome as well; always good to have gotten out there at least, wasn't it? 

;)

Finally found a nice striper after only catching runts. Took a 3in paddle tail. I was fishing for schoolers using a 7'6" medium rod with a 4000 Stradic and felt very under gunned. Just happy I was able to land it. Didn't have a tape measure either but I wear a size 13 shoe for reference. Picture doesn't do it justice the fish was pretty thick. Any estimations on sizes? I feel like I'm definitely over estimating what I think the length is. 

Other than that there's a lot of shad around. And a lot of runt stripers. I ended up leaving a certain popular spot that was just producing like 12in fish. I understand people like catching but we need to give these little guys a break. Most of the fish had gaping holes on their mouth from being caught non stop. 

25E0EB6B-DCEF-4EA2-9345-CFC3D88BD785.jpeg

D967808D-56B7-4E0F-AFED-66E9AB53D406.jpeg

Fished AI with the kids yesterday.  Nothing but skate city but the kids still have fun with that.  

IMG_1117.jpg

Looks like it's going to be a little nautical this weekend and for like 4 days after. Hopefully it doesn't wreck the fishing things were starting to heat up. 

E96647BC-81BA-453C-A238-0037E5F67FD4.png

44 mins ago, ATBfish said:

Looks like it's going to be a little nautical this weekend and for like 4 days after. Hopefully it doesn't wreck the fishing things were starting to heat up. 

E96647BC-81BA-453C-A238-0037E5F67FD4.png

Old inlets tournament is Saturday. Beaches will probably be closed

Went out on AI, just for an hour, but I did catch some skates. Good to get out on the beach on such a nice day. Got a wicked backlash on my heaver. Forgot to set the mags and spool tension and I didn’t thumb it enough for the settings and it went boom when I casted. Thankfully I was able to pick it out with my fingers. Overall a good day.

Found this neat little spotted hake on the beach37024695-5D79-4D02-B93B-6A3AECD42788.jpeg.4c14ee2002813c197998e2ed18471444.jpeg

He was dead. Saw him while walking and picked him up before he got washed away. Never seen this kind of fish before. Freshly dead, not stiff in the slightest. No wounds or anything. I wonder how he died. Fishing wise, I caught nothing and got a salad on my line every cast. I also found a bunker that a bird picked out of the water and killed. The bird tore its spine and eyes out. For catching nothing, it was a pretty interesting day.

12 hours ago, Jimichanga said:

Just left a bay beach in delaware. 

Only stayed 20 minutes.

Weeds weeds weeds unfishable.

Had the exact same experience yesterday. 

Posted (edited)

Caught my PB tog. 18”, 3 pounds. Giganticly fat. Then I caught another keeper tog, 16”, 2 pounds. I caught another tog that was just short at 15”, but it was also super fat. Missed a couple other tog and lost a striper. All in the span of 10-15 minutes. Good quick session of fishing. I also caught a burrfish on the beach this morning. He must have been on the hook for 30 minutes to an hour. He was too small to bend the rod and I couldn’t feel him on the line so I didn’t know. By the time I got him in he was so tired he couldn’t even puff up. Got him back quick and he swam off. Poor little guy. Left when I saw dolphins.3D7730A9-921B-4813-85DC-2DAAEF283B52.jpeg.089a6b5c92be61f3c9684924dfdfb9ee.jpeg

Edited by ProSkateFisherman

34 mins ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

Caught my PB tog. 18”, 3 pounds. Giganticly fat. Then I caught another keeper tog, 16”, 2 pounds. I caught another tog that was just short at 15”, but it was also super fat. Missed a couple other tog and lost a striper. All in the span of 10-15 minutes. Good quick session of fishing. I also caught a burrfish on the beach this morning. He must have been on the hook for 30 minutes to an hour. He was too small to bend the rod and I couldn’t feel him on the line so I didn’t know. By the time I got him in he was so tired he couldn’t even puff up. Got him back quick and he swam off. Poor little guy. Left when I saw dolphins.3D7730A9-921B-4813-85DC-2DAAEF283B52.jpeg.089a6b5c92be61f3c9684924dfdfb9ee.jpeg

I want one for my aquarium.  Had puffs but not a burr.

Heading down tomorrow morning. Plan to be waiting when the bait shop opens. Debating about doing CHSP, 3R or Fenwick. We'll see what happens!

8 hours ago, Frank2104 said:

Heading down tomorrow morning. Plan to be waiting when the bait shop opens. Debating about doing CHSP, 3R or Fenwick. We'll see what happens!

I personaly would give Fenwick a try. I don't know why I would , just a gut feeling. You could have the Fenwick beach for yourself. Good luck.