Sister # 4's Bathroom reno

Rate this topic

Ben Lippen

A bit different from my original design, 

bettys.jpg.c4f1e3a927c600828be5ab25893afc33.jpg

But she likes it. Talked her into the electric floor mat under the tile, and got rid of the one last wall heat loop. That allowed me to build the drawer cabinet that she really wanted. 

20220501_162116.jpg.5dd188c0b7ab5433459d05be4cb4a5a1.jpg

20220501_162047.jpg.ba986395274db2e755b3c01c89fc196e.jpg

Still waiting on a couple of towel bars and hooks. And gotta install her grab bar on the back wall of the shower. Touch up, and she's done. 

Edited by Ben Lippen

Excellent choices and work. How did you go about getting the small vanity top? I'm going to need a 14 sq ft counter soon.  Years back I gave up on small slab counters and made my own from granite tiles because the stone guys were such asshats. High minimum job costs, or they jerked me around. 

4 hours ago, gellfex said:

Excellent choices and work. How did you go about getting the small vanity top? I'm going to need a 14 sq ft counter soon.  Years back I gave up on small slab counters and made my own from granite tiles because the stone guys were such asshats. High minimum job costs, or they jerked me around. 

Thanks. I have friends who own a local stone place. Ben working with them for years. They do great work, real god prices. Big stuff like whole kitchens or bars, I let them do the whole thing. But this one, because of the time crunch ( 7 days ) and I had to make the cabinets, I was behind the ball from day one.  After demo, the tub went in, and the floor tile I made the two carcasses, then made some mock-up face frame parts out of scrap 1 x  and installed them where they were going to live. 

20220424_174651.jpg.6d7492fd262f8344c99283016c5be098.jpg

Then I templated the top just like it's always ben done. Strips of luan and a hot melt glue gun.  Marked it out for them, backsplash and sink center. Dropped it off to them Monday morning and they called me about 1:00 the next afternoon to pick it up. That's good turnaround in my book.

3 hours ago, foxfai said:

Is it me or the lightning in there is horrendous?

The lighting is fine. I had the ceiling lights off, and just the lightbar on. That and the camera flash in the mirror, makes it look crappy. 

Cool. I was going to pitch templating it myself when I price the countertop. Doesn't look like rocket science! Is that actual granite or quartz? Hard to tell these days. In 2004 when I did my 1st tile kitchen top, it made financial sense, but now granite has gotten so cheap it's not even trendy anymore! I don't think tiling is worth it, especially as the plywood I'd need for underlayment has gotten crazy expensive. I'd have to have them actually install, I'm not gonna carry a 14 sq ft slab to the 3rd floor!

Edited by gellfex

3 mins ago, gellfex said:

Cool. I was going to pitch templating it myself when I price the countertop. Doesn't look like rocket science! Is that actual granite or quartz? Hard to tell these days. In 2004 when I did my 1st tile kitchen top, it made financial sense, but now granite has gotten so cheap it's not even trendy anymore! I don't think it's worth it, especially as the plywood I'd need for underlayment has gotten crazy expensive. I'd have to have them actually install, I'm not gonna carry a 14 sq ft slab to the 3rd floor!

Ya have to ask the stone place if they will let you do the templating. Other places I've dealt with refuse. These folks know me and my work, so they have no issues. 

Like I said, other than a few companies that use a laser arm computer thingy, most places still use the old tried and true method.  

I think it's a quartz top, but I'm not sure. I'll ask her tomorrow.