Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
40shades-of-blue

Removing felt wallpaper?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I’ve removed regular wallpaper before. Not to bad. I have this hideous thing in my hallway. Feels like felt. My Mom used to like it but she passed away last month. Lot of things I want to change/improve now. How hard you think it’s to get off? 

93621CBE-C922-453A-A6E4-4ED3BC654C3E.jpeg

Was a pretty heavy backing if I remember right. It may peel off easily. If not then a paper tiger and some of the remover spray should make it scrape off easily.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 5/1/2022 at 10:30 AM, 40shades-of-blue said:

I’ve removed regular wallpaper before. Not to bad. I have this hideous thing in my hallway. Feels like felt. My Mom used to like it but she passed away last month. Lot of things I want to change/improve now. How hard you think it’s to get off? 

93621CBE-C922-453A-A6E4-4ED3BC654C3E.jpeg

RIP Mom,,,,,Its been a while but I've removed my share of flocked paper that was applied in the groovy 60' and70':laugh:. It always had a fairly heavy paper backing IIRC that the design would peel off of easily. Try lifting a corner off the backing and see what happens, it might just peel off in sheets. If it doesnt and you have to use a Paper Tiger use ONLY enough pressure to perforate the design then mix warm water and white vinegar in a spray bottle/garden sprayer to remove the paper. Let the mixture do the work! You deal with the glue the same way using a Scotchbrite pad and lightly scrubbing . If the walls were sized properly the process is relatively easy.  RC

Edited by richie c

I had the same exact wallpaper throughout the entire first floor of my house. With a layer underneath it. Paper tiger like crazy, like all over it. If you have a big area, get yourself a tank sprayer. Use super hot water. I would get it to just under boiling. Add about 25% white vinegar and start spraying. Its best to start at the top and work down as the water will drip. Let it soak in then come back and spray again. Let that soak in then spray again. It really needs to be sopping wet to come off easily. It may take a few hours to really get soaked. Once its wet, start following behind peeling with a wall scraper. It should come right off. I had plaster walls that were sized. I dont know if sheetrock will make a difference.

Wallpaper itself came right off. Glue underneath is really thick. Took me about four hours to do a 6x8 ft section. Not hard just time consuming. Done for today.  Got a 12pk of beer so that helps. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Man I don't miss doing that. 

I used to lay a tarp on the floor and line it with newspapers.  If the glue was heavy, I'd keep the walls saturated with warm water using a garden pump sprayer.  Spray the water on heavy and let it sit to activate the glue.  Then spray it again.  Scrape the glue with a drywall knife and let the glue fall on the newspaper.  After the wall was scraped, go back with a green scrubbing pad and get the rest of the glue off.  End of the day, just roll up the newspapers and toss them in a contractor bag.  Tarp will be wet, but not covered with glue. 

Hopefully you're working on plaster and not drywall.

Edited by north-shore fisha

On 6/29/2022 at 3:18 PM, Baccigalup said:

What about a steam machine. Wo t that help loosen up the glue?  

Those work from what I have read.  I'm all done now.  I used a mix of warm water, baking soda and dish soap.  Soaked with a sponge a small section at a time.  Then scraped with a putty knife and 5 in 1 tool.  It wasn't to difficult.  Prepping the walls today for painting tomorrow. Keeping it simple and just going all white.