i_like_poppers

Fat bike question

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

For those who have fat bikes on the beach, do you air down the tires? If so, what do you recommend? On a youtube video one guy had barely any air in the tires, think he said 2psi but that seems awfully low. 

3-4psi is about right. It does sound low, but it works. The low pressure creates a lot of rolling resistance, so it takes a lot of effort to pedal the bike, but it also prevents the tires from digging into the sand and give lots of traction.  

If you take the inner tubes out of your fat-tire-bike tiers, you can carefully build up the rims with tape and then run tubeless. The ride is nowhere as good on pavement but it allows you to air down to about 3 lb per tire which is needed in very soft fluffy sand. 

I built a Fat tire bike on an old Surly Moonlander frame and I put carbon rims on, set up with with 5 inch Clown Shoes tires. 

The reason I needed the steel frame is that I haul a lot of weight with the bike at times on Long freshwater river rides that can last for days, during which I'm camping, riding train tracks moving along trails as well. 

She doubles pretty nicely on the beach as long as your rinse with salt-x & fresh water and really lubricate everything, including the chain, each time you ride in the sand. 

Obviously the more you load the bikes down the worst they do in the sand as well so try to travel light. 

19510.jpeg.d2b34f388ea809be363fa24ab0c0d858.jpeg13711.jpeg.0c3127f5d40f92612b670a919d5b1422.jpeg

I'm very happy I went tubeless as well I also drilled out my old Rolling Daryl rims. There's lots of info out there on going ghetto I chose to use the fattystripper dot com method. 

20190813_105018[1].jpg

20190813_175151[1].jpg

20190817_163511[1].jpg

1 hour ago, YakDawg said:

I'm very happy I went tubeless as well I also drilled out my old Rolling Daryl rims. There's lots of info out there on going ghetto I chose to use the fattystripper dot com method. 

20190813_105018[1].jpg

20190813_175151[1].jpg

20190817_163511[1].jpg

Wow.  Nice job.