coastalfreak

Quality, Cheap 1-2 oz Casting Rod

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Picked up an old Pflueger Rocket 1375 and am looking to put it into service. Looking for a casting rod in the 7’-8’ range that will pair nicely with it, probably will be fishing small cut baits and live baits on 1-2 oz bait rigs. Any suggestions? Thinking of going the Ugly Stik route but not quite sure. Really will be fishing for whatever bites but I expect black drum, freshwater and saltwater cats, smaller redfish, stuff like that. I’ll be in lower salinity brackish water mainly. 

Ideally don’t want to breach 75 dollars or so.

Thanks in advance!

Posted (edited)

Pick up a $40 BPS Graphite Series 7'6" telescopic heavy action, aka "flipping stick". 12-30# line and 3/8-2oz.

I lengthen the butt and balance.....YMMV

Edited by drumbum

2 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

Picked up an old Pflueger Rocket 1375 and am looking to put it into service. Looking for a casting rod in the 7’-8’ range that will pair nicely with it, probably will be fishing small cut baits and live baits on 1-2 oz bait rigs. Any suggestions? Thinking of going the Ugly Stik route but not quite sure. Really will be fishing for whatever bites but I expect black drum, freshwater and saltwater cats, smaller redfish, stuff like that. I’ll be in lower salinity brackish water mainly. 

Ideally don’t want to breach 75 dollars or so.

Thanks in advance!

Fiblink @ Amazon ?

HH

The ugly stick is a little softer and will flex more to help cast the lighter baits …as a side note.. I found a pflueger size 30 bait caster that is great as a 8 n bait heaver … the quality for the money is well worth it … 10 years old just normal maintainance and it will throw 80-100 yds no problem .. 

Okuma makes very good rods at a reasonable price.  I have a 9'6" Celilo ML that I use to cast Lucky Craft 110 Flashminnows and loan to my kids and their friends to cast ounce weight.  They are about $55 delivered now.  I expect their casting rods will be similar in quality to their spinning rods.

I’ve been using a similar flipping stick for years, Berkeley 7’6”, 3/8-2 oz, 12-30 lb with an old daiwa reel, and 20 lb mono. It casts 2 oz great; not so much with 1 oz!

Posted (edited)

17 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

Fiblink @ Amazon ?

HH

I have 3 spinning travel rods.  And have zero complaints.  Each was around $50 +/-.

I know they have casting rods as well.  

Edited by PSegnatelli

On 4/30/2022 at 11:44 AM, drumbum said:

Pick up a $40 BPS Graphite Series 7'6" telescopic heavy action, aka "flipping stick". 12-30# line and 3/8-2oz.

I lengthen the butt and balance.....YMMV

I've got one in each line class for 7ft and 7.5ft and in the Muskie rods. Love them. Held up great for me over the years and cheap. Use them for boat inshore bottom fishing, kayaks, and back bay shores. 

Plenty of reasonable priced tackle that will last with normal fishing and maintainance … but if you plan on dunking your reel my suggestion would be to drain your off shore account ( the one the wife supposedly don’t know about ) and get what you need …. Lol lol lol