MDsurffishing

Truck camper questions for Assateague

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Hi All, I finally got a new truck camper and getting everything together to start the season and had a few questions.

1. what type jack does everyone use, originally I had they typical 2 ton car jack but that might be a little undersized now

2. what changes to the tire pressure will I need to make so I don't roll the tire off the bead, I run ~18psi now 

Truck info: F250 7.3 diesel supercab 8ft bed 37" tires. Camper wet ~2000lbs

I run 25psi with no issues with my TC on the back.

I keep a 6 ton jack behind the rear seat on my f350 along with all the other required goodies.

25 is good

remember, you can always let air out if you run into problems. Also recomend a good 12 volt air compressor. 

Enjoy and good luck with it. 

I run a F350 (V10) club cab with a Lance 1030 (10'11"; 2100# dry) on 285/75R16 (loadE) and always start with 32psi rear and 18psi front.  Been doing it since 2002 and never had a problem anywhere, but I've never been on AI.  If it's really sugaree, I'll go to 16 in front and 29 in rear -but that is only a handfull of times.  If you have issues let out 2# at a time.  2# makes a BIG difference when you're close.  Make sure you have as much rubber on the pavement with the fronts as the rears.  The front tires can't float if they are too hard.  They have to pull their share.  Good luck.

Went pretty good, only had a few things to change before next week Frisco trip. The hardest part was finding enough sand between me and the ocean in AIVA Thursday. moved 3 times during the first high tide and the night high pushed us up to the bird closure with 45min to go so we moved to the parking lot.

20220520_101133.jpg

20220519_141919.jpg

1 hour ago, MDsurffishing said:

Went pretty good, only had a few things to change before next week Frisco trip. The hardest part was finding enough sand between me and the ocean in AIVA Thursday. moved 3 times during the first high tide and the night high pushed us up to the bird closure with 45min to go so we moved to the parking lot.

20220520_101133.jpg

20220519_141919.jpg

Looks like you're all set equipment wise. Now how was the fishing when you were at AI VA? ( I fished top of the tide heading out Sat and falling tide Sun...only caught one skate )

I have a camco portapot we put in the green popup or in the camper. We figured it was more room than most built-in ones. Much better than using the fold up one with a bucket that we used for years in the bed of the truck 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Don't knock the luggable loo :)

Whatever it takes to be able to stay on the sand.  Hope you get on some fish down to OBX, or what is left of it.  One of the houses down there we stayed at once fell into the ocean with this last storm.

Edited by spinr0k

Thanks, I hope the beach isn't too off-camber. The thing feels stable but I still worry about tilting it too far on the sand, at 12 1/2' tall I don't want to take any chances

Last year I notice those houses were awfully close to the ocean with no dune protection. Looks like the fishing has resumed down at the point and hopefully the weather stays good

it doesn't roll at all, the sway bar is aftermarket but not sure what brand. I did the air bags and frame mounts, ProComp springs were a stiffer stack than stock with more leaves and overload. When we dropped the camper in the bed it might have squatted the bed 1" before adding any air to the bags. Mostly it's just me needing to trust it