High Winds

Rate this topic

Big Biscuit

How do you guys deal with the conditions like we have this week? Do you stay home and wait for it to settle down? Do you like certain spots you think will produce in these conditions? Do you like going out in the beginning of this pattern and call it quits after a few days before the water gets too snotty? What kind of lures are you throwing? I'd be throwing bucktail jigs, big swimmers that dig in, and needles. 

Edited by Big Biscuit

18 mins ago, Big Biscuit said:

What about lure selection? What are you going to be throwing? 

Lol, I just realized this is a CT thread.  I'm in ME.  

Anyhow, I just got back and was relatively sheltered from wind.  No stripers up here yet, was trying for sea run browns, but no luck.  Was throwing spinners and small minnow lures.

7 hours ago, Big Biscuit said:

How do you guys deal with the conditions like we have this week? Do you stay home and wait for it to settle down? Do you like certain spots you think will produce in these conditions? Do you like going out in the beginning of this pattern and call it quits after a few days before the water gets too snotty? What kind of lures are you throwing? I'd be throwing bucktail jigs, big swimmers that dig in, and needles. 

Depends. Sometimes the best fishing is into the face of the wind, even if it’s blowing 30. On a shallow sloping beach it can be tough to reach ‘em, but if it’s a steeper sloping shore or a deeper trough along the beach the fish can be at your feet. One of my best sessions in recent years was throwing a 9” SlugGo into a 30+ mph wind. Don’t think I cast 40 feet, was too rough to wade but I had no trouble reaching the cow pasture. Frankly I’d rather cast directly into a head wind than a flanking wind that creates a belly in the line. 
I think the first day of a strong onshore wind can be better than the following days. Water will tend to weed up and make it difficult to keep your lure clean. When weedy conditions prevail sometimes short casts into where the fish may be feeding are better than long casts that weed up before you reach the strike zone. 
Most times I’ll try bucktails first, then sinking needles or bottle plugs. 
Love the start of a strong Southeaster. 

21 hours ago, patabate said:

Depends. Sometimes the best fishing is into the face of the wind, even if it’s blowing 30. On a shallow sloping beach it can be tough to reach ‘em, but if it’s a steeper sloping shore or a deeper trough along the beach the fish can be at your feet. One of my best sessions in recent years was throwing a 9” SlugGo into a 30+ mph wind. Don’t think I cast 40 feet, was too rough to wade but I had no trouble reaching the cow pasture. Frankly I’d rather cast directly into a head wind than a flanking wind that creates a belly in the line. 
I think the first day of a strong onshore wind can be better than the following days. Water will tend to weed up and make it difficult to keep your lure clean. When weedy conditions prevail sometimes short casts into where the fish may be feeding are better than long casts that weed up before you reach the strike zone. 
Most times I’ll try bucktails first, then sinking needles or bottle plugs. 
Love the start of a strong Southeaster. 

Would that have been a McKenna rigged sluggo with the nail weights, a weightless sluggo, or a sluggo on a jig? I can't imagine a weightless sluggo going more than 5' into a 30 mph wind. 

4 hours ago, Big Biscuit said:

Would that have been a McKenna rigged sluggo with the nail weights, a weightless sluggo, or a sluggo on a jig? I can't imagine a weightless sluggo going more than 5' into a 30 mph wind. 

It was rigged on a single 8/0 weighted Owner Beast hook. Still my preferred way to rig the 9” SlugGo.