Goldy

The new van staal vsx model.

Rate this topic

102 posts in this topic

Visser concept is looking better and better lol. I think ICAST will be a big tell tale this year. I have a strong feeling the Penn Torque was also discontinued, even before the supply chain stuff they haven't been in stock in any of the big online retailers. Only place you seem them is old stock on eBay. I'm guessing Van Staals niche market of the northeast and Florida wasn't selling enough and they are trying to appeal to a larger market.

12 mins ago, jk20a3 said:

Visser concept is looking better and better lol. I think ICAST will be a big tell tale this year. I have a strong feeling the Penn Torque was also discontinued, even before the supply chain stuff they haven't been in stock in any of the big online retailers. Only place you seem them is old stock on eBay. I'm guessing Van Staals niche market of the northeast and Florida wasn't selling enough and they are trying to appeal to a larger market.

:laugh:

13 mins ago, BrooklynSurfCaster said:

it looks like a bail less vsb, why the entire redesign process? 

Mo’ money!

On 5/8/2022 at 4:56 PM, Detcher said:

I just bought a VSX200 a week ago, wondering if I should have waited.

Short term yes. For the long term? Donno. Well see. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

A non-skirted spool is an antiquated design originally developed in the early mid 20th century which pretty much became the standard by the 1960's. The original VS development (another story all together) was pretty much based off the Crack/Luxor. How many fishing reels are now being made with this design should answer your question.

Edited by BernOC

The body of the reel looks the same as the original. So why would pure fishing retool everything as far as seals, gears etc for a small niche fishing reel?  I think all the internals will be the same minus the the spool, rotor and maybe the main shaft.  I personally am not worried about getting parts.  Why you say because they rarely fail, check periodically for water if your a hardcore dunker and maintain it.  All will be good. Just my 2 cents.  

45 mins ago, BernOC said:

A non-skirted spool is an antiquated design originally developed in the early mid 20th century which pretty much became the standard by the 1960's. The original VS development (another story all together) was pretty much based off the Crack/Luxor. How many fishing reels are now being made with this design should answer your question.                                                                                              

2  that come to mind, 704/706 and the VS.

Antiquated? No, just the best toughest proven reels ever made.

Skirted spool reels have been around almost as long as cupped.

Maybe VS is trying to change their businesses model because too many of these reels are still in service, therefore they are forcing you to buy something new.

Not for nothing but I could have bought several new VS reels just from the money I spent on service over the years. If that doesn’t fit their business model now then shame on them.

Mine have been cranking for 17 years.

As a matter of fact, the skirted spool version VR has backed up service with VS because warranty claims come first over all general maintenance.
Never had a warranty claim on my antiquated cupped spool reels.

On 5/1/2022 at 6:31 AM, ged said:

I don’t think the prototype rotor is convertible. The black lefty has a counter weight side that looks longer than the roller side. 

D590F3D0-5ED8-42BC-BB87-844BE4EE70A0.jpeg

D061BA4D-30CA-4275-8221-AB04FAED807D.jpeg

B7260198-A696-441D-8993-075BDB6FF164.jpeg

that is the test version :) 

On 4/28/2022 at 6:18 AM, Goldy said:

I’ve seen rumors on here. Did I miss a dedicated thread to the new VS yet?  

does anyone have information on this

Best idea since the new Guinness glasses came out……