Goldy

The new van staal vsx model.

Rate this topic

416 posts in this topic

On 5/1/2022 at 8:17 PM, levari said:

You also need the quad seal tool that comes with the kit..Without those tools how are you going to service your reel?

Ive done it without the tool. Bit of a pia (2 opened paperclips) but can be done. 

On 5/2/2022 at 7:45 PM, levari said:

There are many more parts that you may need to replace beyond the traverse guide and the main shaft. Screws, knobs, bearings, rotor, spool etc etc. 

Correct but usually the stuff that needs replacing- seals and bearings are all off the shelf parts.

Main gear and pinion gear assembly would be 2 other items. 
Never had any of them fail.

Only had to replace the traverse guide once.

1 hour ago, Bergallmaster said:

Ive done it without the tool. Bit of a pia (2 opened paperclips) but can be done. 

Correct but usually the stuff that needs replacing- seals and bearings are all off the shelf parts.

Screw this… I would buy Zeebass and won’t be bother with this crap..I rather invest $1200 on a reel knowing there is a company behind the product than $900 on a reel that I don’t know if I can use it a year or two after spending that money.

3 mins ago, levari said:

Screw this… I would buy Zeebass and won’t be bother with this crap..I rather invest $1200 on a reel knowing there is a company behind the product than $900 on a reel that I don’t know if I can use it a year or two after spending that money.

Agreed. At least with zb you get support. Cant really blame VS for following daiwa or shimanos business model. It sucks though.

What exactly do the self-service kits offer that you can't get from a repair/warranty center?  Or why not just send the reel into a repair/warranty center.  I have my own reels that literally don't need nor have they ever needed anything in the past 5 years of ownership.  Can't say that for the rest of the companies out there for sure.  Also have friends who have 20+ years on their staals without service, only to have to get service this past year after things started to feel a little off from catching a 100+ BFT on them.  The self service kits are an okay start if you want to service your reels I guess, but regardless your most likely going to be replacing the seals over time which you certainly don't get 20+ years with in the purchase of one self-service kit.  Are they prohibiting you from buying any parts or the dog bones?  

44 mins ago, Waverider23 said:

What exactly do the self-service kits offer that you can't get from a repair/warranty center?  Or why not just send the reel into a repair/warranty center.  I have my own reels that literally don't need nor have they ever needed anything in the past 5 years of ownership.  Can't say that for the rest of the companies out there for sure.  Also have friends who have 20+ years on their staals without service, only to have to get service this past year after things started to feel a little off from catching a 100+ BFT on them.  The self service kits are an okay start if you want to service your reels I guess, but regardless your most likely going to be replacing the seals over time which you certainly don't get 20+ years with in the purchase of one self-service kit.  Are they prohibiting you from buying any parts or the dog bones?  

I own 5 of these reels and 90% of my fishing is wet suiting so they require more service than those reels that most of the time sit in the closet. Shipping those reels to service centers is expensive and that’s the reason why I want to service my reels. 
when I bought my reels the service kit was available. If it wasn’t available I wouldn’t  have bought my VS reels..

1 hour ago, Detcher said:

I just bought a VSX200 a week ago, wondering if I should have waited.

If you like the cupped rotor you made the right decision 

Posted (edited)

My buying decision will be based on what improvements are made.

The last VSX 150 bailed is too heavy for such a small reel at nearly 17 ounces compared to the bail less at around 12 ounces. The drag is also very weak.

I have seen the pictures but I have yet to see any specs, I'll just have to wait and see.

Edited by recoil

3 hours ago, linesiderdemdnj said:

That looks awful. Did Craig cantelmo have any word in that pos

Did you visit Van Staal web site lately? The web site looks like a company that  is shutting down the business. Other than few photos there is nothing else. 

4 hours ago, levari said:

Did you visit Van Staal web site lately? The web site looks like a company that  is shutting down the business. Other than few photos there is nothing else. 

That’s too bad. That reel looks freakin awful. Looks like a cross between a vs, zb, and a spinfisher v. 

8 hours ago, linesiderdemdnj said:

That looks awful. Did Craig cantelmo have any word in that pos

And of course the guy has his no live bait swim shad on his reel. I’m surprised all these guys don’t need live bait

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2022 at 11:10 AM, levari said:

when they stop making parts for the vsx series that's exactly what I'm doing

42 mins ago, OnlyChunk said:

when they stop making parts for the vsx series that's exactly what I'm doing

Can't say I disagree with you