Goldy

The new van staal vsx model.

Rate this topic

102 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

The ofset handle hints to the possibility of a bailed/bail less option.

The rotor may not be converted to bailed (like the VR),

however, it may be that a separate bailed rotor can be switched out similar to the ZB.

More money to be made since the second rotor must be purchased.

Edited by recoil

3 hours ago, recoil said:

The ofset handle hints to the possibility of a bailed/bail less option.

The rotor may not be converted to bailed (like the VR),

however, it may be that a separate bailed rotor can be switched out similar to the ZB.

More money to be made since the second rotor must be purchased.

Would not be cost effective to make.  

1 hour ago, Goldy said:

Would not be cost effective to make.  

How so?

By the looks of it only the handle and rotor are different from current VSX models.

If it cost more to manufacture then that cost will be passed on to all of the VS fanboys who will have to have one.

I may get one if I see any big advantage over my VSX.

As far as gold, they can keep it!

I would not consider any of their reels until they make the self service kit available in the stores.

If Pure Fishing discontinues making parts for the VSX line; wouldn't be surprised to see anglers selling them and switching to a different brand altogether. I can see why pure fishing would do that. Have to force change to get you buy more reels from them. Bad for Pure Fishing. Good for Pure Fishing's competition.

Edited by OnlyChunk

3 hours ago, levari said:

I would not consider any of their reels until they make the self service kit available in the stores.

I think that ship has sailed and sunk. Craig mentioned it and it sounded like they have no intention of offering the self service kit. He pointed out all the great service centers available. 

Edited by Surfratiam

5 hours ago, levari said:

the only thing you need in the kit really is the wrench. All the rest just call up a shop and pick up or have it shipped.

2 hours ago, Clbay1971 said:

the only thing you need in the kit really is the wrench. All the rest just call up a shop and pick up or have it shipped.

You also need the quad seal tool that comes with the kit..Without those tools how are you going to service your reel?

38 mins ago, levari said:

You also need the quad seal tool that comes with the kit..Without those tools how are you going to service your reel?

I forgot that one but even with the kit you can't replace the pinion seal. The other option is to buy a Zeebaas they sell service kits online and all the seals for the reel are in the kit.

16 hours ago, Goldy said:

Ged - i know right now we are all speculating but why do u think they changed the rotor?

as a side note there is going to have to be something really amazing for me to buy this reel. 

the problem for most who have vsx there really is no reason to change.  But at some point Pure needs to move the bottom line.  

they are sitting there thinking how do we get all these vsx owners and vs owners to buy new reels.   They cant do what apple does by draining your battery with code updates.  So they are stuck.  Its a tough business model. 

how many working VS can you have?   I have 4. Some people have 10-20.  At what point are we buying because we need or want

I just need one, i would prefer an older original model but ill settle for a second gen. My issue is im not paying 1300 for a 20 year old used reel and thats what the lefty market is looking like.

17 hours ago, ImBigNate said:

I just need one, i would prefer an older original model but ill settle for a second gen. My issue is im not paying 1300 for a 20 year old used reel and thats what the lefty market is looking like.

As a lefty that owns a bunch of vs's.

My advice if to keep looking and don't blow stupid money on a fb vs. Deals are out there you just have to be patient. 

It will be years to you can buy one of those new van staal's in a shop. That's their mo hype up a new reel. Then not come thru with lead times at all.

If you really want a van staal. I suggest looking at the vr lefty's. I've got no complaints with mine yet.

53 mins ago, Haycreekrambler said:

As a lefty that owns a bunch of vs's.

My advice if to keep looking and don't blow stupid money on a fb vs. Deals are out there you just have to be patient. 

It will be years to you can buy one of those new van staal's in a shop. That's their mo hype up a new reel. Then not come thru with lead times at all.

If you really want a van staal. I suggest looking at the vr lefty's. I've got no complaints with mine yet.

Thank you for the advice. What would you consider reasonable for a Vs150L or even 250L? Ive been trying to find one in the $850-950 price range

Would hate to see no support for the VS or VSX.

For the most part, seals and bearings are standard items.  Easily replaced and serviceable. Pinion can be serviced with special tool and can be found for around $100

Main shaft and traverse guide will be problematic to replace without support.

Other than that, these reels should be good for decades.

Basically un-fished with box and bag. Unfortunately your probably not far off. I've seen a bunch go for that price on fleabay. Fished hard and serviced on this site less. There was a 150L on here recently. Now if you want gold, good luck. Personally I don't understand the gold fad. 

I was hoping that van staal  would make good on their word of vsx's in lefty's. That obviously never happened. So, now the OG L's will always command big $. You can thank pure fishing for that.

Edited by Haycreekrambler

1 hour ago, LowEnd said:

Would hate to see no support for the VS or VSX.

For the most part, seals and bearings are standard items.  Easily replaced and serviceable. Pinion can be serviced with special tool and can be found for around $100

Main shaft and traverse guide will be problematic to replace without support.

Other than that, these reels should be good for decades.

There are many more parts that you may need to replace beyond the traverse guide and the main shaft. Screws, knobs, bearings, rotor, spool etc etc.