Goldy

The new van staal vsx model.

Rate this topic

416 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, bassmaster said:

I think these new reels dump sand better not being cupped

My 201 just came in.

This is my experience fishing VSBs and Zeebaas in the wash of Longisland where we get that fine sand and grit between the flyer and spool. I still like the cupped flyer but the open rotor definitely passed the sand and never locked up from a pebble. Unfortunately most of the bottom of my spools from the classic VS look like someone took sandpaper all around. 

17 hours ago, Camhabib said:

My issue with sand is getting caught in the bail springs. This alone has made me want to slap the conversion kit on my VR or spring for a new VSX2.

If you're not bait or boat fishing switch it to bail less...no brainer.

I was so close to pulling the trigger on this till I saw someone complaining about flex and also roller mount flex in this thread.  For ones who actually have this, especially 150, do you see this becoming an issue?

I had 2500 Conflict II for Fluke fishing and just hated it.  This was the first reel I actually felt flex and really bad flex at that too.

On 9/21/2022 at 6:04 PM, bassmaster said:

My 201 just came in.

Fishing the swells yesterday morning my VR201 locked and needed to be dunked a few times, no better than a cupped flyer VS or Penn Z...although I might have jammed it straight into the sand a few times when the backwash almost got me ! I'm liking it so far though, we'll see.

16 hours ago, surfrat59 said:

Fishing the swells yesterday morning my VR201 locked and needed to be dunked a few times, no better than a cupped flyer VS or Penn Z...although I might have jammed it straight into the sand a few times when the backwash almost got me ! I'm liking it so far though, we'll see.

I forgot the VR has a tapered bottom on its spool, the new VSX2 has that taper as well leaving a tighter space inbetween the spool and rotor/pinion housing. The older VSBs just had a straight walled spool with a huge space so stuff would just wash through. Now I want to compare them lol. My Penn Torque 2 would lock up bad when the wash was like that, the space between the spool and rotor was really tight on that reel even more so, good in theory bad when you’re getting hit with all that crap. 

16 hours ago, jk20a3 said:

I forgot the VR has a tapered bottom on its spool, the new VSX2 has that taper as well leaving a tighter space inbetween the spool and rotor/pinion housing. The older VSBs just had a straight walled spool with a huge space so stuff would just wash through. Now I want to compare them lol. My Penn Torque 2 would lock up bad when the wash was like that, the space between the spool and rotor was really tight on that reel even more so, good in theory bad when you’re getting hit with all that crap. 

Yep, that heavily ported spool lets sand in easy but the spool to rotor is tight, mine did the coffee grinder until I dunked it a few times. Same today, and only from being blasted in sandy wash, not submerged...had to dunk and crank to clear. No better than any other reel I've ever fished.

Where is the service kit for these reels

I had my 201 under water all night playing in the rocks.

I notice it spins freely, want to inspect and grease to stop the spinning and see if it has water and or is dry

vsx2, look to be the same as older vs, so the service kit should be similar to the vs,

1.you need the vs wrench

2. tool to open the lock ring of clutch assembly

overall should be similar to the VS/VSB service 

Posted (edited)

On 9/21/2022 at 6:04 PM, bassmaster said:

My 201 just came in.

201- is that a VSX-2 or VR? Im following for reviews but didn't want to get confused . thanks

Edited by jeffapeikin

43 mins ago, avet4life said:

vsx2, look to be the same as older vs, so the service kit should be similar to the vs,

1.you need the vs wrench

2. tool to open the lock ring of clutch assembly

overall should be similar to the VS/VSB service 

Nope

Welp they dont sell the wrench, they want you to send in the reel.

Need to find a plastic wrench.

Wonder who else this leaves a bad taste with.

11 mins ago, bassmaster said:

keep eyes on ebay, the wrench come up often.

20 mins ago, bassmaster said:

Vsx2 is different 

vsx2 use the same wrench as VSx,  but thread direction is reverse i believe 

58 mins ago, bassmaster said:

You can make a VSX200 wrench from a VR 125-200 size wrench.