The new van staal vsx model.

Rate this topic

Goldy

52 mins ago, bassmaster said:

Yes, i dont send nothing out, its a fishing reel, nothing hard to service this

Your a man after my own heart, l would open the reel right after l looked at it for a while and mounted it on a rod, then to my workbench to see if l had the right tools for making it easy to take it apart and service, l'm thinking it will need tooling similar to the VS line of reels and I'm hoping the pinion was crossed drilled for a pin to remove the pinion like the VR if they did that would a home run to most users of this reel, a tool like this a 7/16 nut driver would be all you need to take to take the pinion assembly apart slots cut with Dremel, so until l get a reel to take apart l can only make assumptions, l know l'm not far from being totally right.

20201029_160429.jpg.c15ceb9334ca7973580c70790d2d90e9.jpg20201029_160521.jpg.2e50d3b42a378face97bd50dfc3789f1.jpg20201029_160553.jpg.b2b4d35b82d09e8383631e0ee61f2192.jpg

Me and my wife are recovering from Corvid it started one week ago the medicine is doing its job and we had our shoots it could of been worse without the shots. things look brighter for this week.

Maybe some will chime in with pictures with the reel apart.

Edited by LB

1 min ago, LB said:

Your a man after my own heart, l would open the reel right after l looked at it for a while and mounted it on a rod, then to my workbench to see if l had the right tools for making it easy to take it apart and service, l'm thinking it will need tooling similar to the VS line of reels and I'm hoping the pinion was crossed drilled for a pin to remove the pinion like the VR if they did that would a home run to most users of this reel, a tool like this a 7/16 nut driver would be all you need to take to take the pinion assembly apart slots cut with Dremel, so until l get a reel to take apart l can only make assumptions, l know l'm not far from being totally right.

20201029_160429.jpg.c15ceb9334ca7973580c70790d2d90e9.jpg20201029_160521.jpg.2e50d3b42a378face97bd50dfc3789f1.jpg20201029_160553.jpg.b2b4d35b82d09e8383631e0ee61f2192.jpg

Me and my wife are recovering from Corvid it started one week ago the medicine is doing its job and we had our shoots it could of been worse without the shots. things look brighter for this week.

Welp get healthy 

Make tools is always good if you cant buy them

Plug Ho!

bassmaster_skunk.gif

2 mins ago, bassmaster said:

I think the pinion on my old vs reels is threaded,  wonder how many people mauled that.

For most of the VS line of reels that l worked on the pinion was threaded on, on the VR reels the pinion is the easiest to remove with the tool that l had made pinion is also threaded on, picture in post #331.

avet4life, for a long time you were able to help with information on VS reels when l was at a loss with some information, have you been able to find any schematics on the VSX2 line of reels something had to leak out?

Edited by LB

54 mins ago, LB said:

avet4life, for a long time you were able to help with information on VS reels when l was at a loss with some information, have you been able to find any schematics on the VSX2 line of reels something had to leak out?

I've asked Van Staal customer service, and they don't have the schematics yet.

1 hour ago, PnoT said:

I've asked Van Staal customer service, and they don't have the schematics yet.

l think that is BS, they are selling reels claiming it's serviceable with no parts layout or instructions on how to take the reel apart it's a piece of paper the same company in China that prints the box label could print the schematics sheet. There is no excuse for not putting one in every reel box.

Edited by LB

35 mins ago, levari said:

It’s even better to buy a reel from a company that makes the tools available. 

What tools are you talking about? for the VS to the VSX2 the only tool you could buy was the dog bone and that only gets the side cover off if they sell other tools to completely take the reel where are they listed on their website?

l have no beef with VS reels l have four of them.

1 hour ago, LB said:

What tools are you talking about? for the VS to the VSX2 the only tool you could buy was the dog bone and that only gets the side cover off if they sell other tools to completely take the reel where are they listed on their website?

l have no beef with VS reels l have four of them.

I am aware that VS does not sell the tooling that are necessary to service VS and VSX. I was referring to Zeebass which sells the complete toolset to service their reels.

18 hours ago, LB said:

_LB curious how tight was that pinion...only ask because I have a new VR201 and wanted to remove the side cover for inspection and maybe lubrication. The cover was so tight the supplied delrin wrench was useless. It's not a conventional hex head design like a VS, rather it's an inverted torx... a specialty wrench or socket most  wouldn't have in their tool set. I have both at work but refused to wait, a 21mm 6 point socket and ratchet removed it, although it was severely over torqued when installed at assembly. Not thrilled with that, not thrilled with the lack of lubrication inside either. A light packing of white grease around the pinion and a small amount on the traverse guide rollers, nothing more. I regreased to my liking and reinstalled the side cover by hand with the VR wrench.

Heads up to VR users about the supplied wrench while on the subject...without a supplied schematic or any instructions it will get you into trouble. It's marked Open LH/RH with opposing arrows, the markings DO NOT follow the reel designation, rather the hand you reel with. In other words if you have a RH model and reel with your left hand follow the LH markings, vice versa for the LH model...you reel right handed, follow the RH markings. I'm 40 years in the automotive industry and knew immediately it was marked wrong, any sealed rotating shaft secured by a threaded housing the housing always tightens in the direction of handle rotation so it can't inadvertently loosen due to seal drag. It wasn't an issue for me, but I can see the average guy trying to loosen in the wrong direction, over tightening the side cover and stripping the wrench in the process. This IMO is unacceptable for an expensive reel meant to be self serviced !

Guess I better open my 151 before fishing it again and lubricate that one also...hopefully the side cover cooperates with the factory wrench.