Frank2104

Bloodworms cost

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

I don't know what they're costing up here in CT yet, I can't swing that $$.   

I'll try the nightcrawlers/FBBW combo. But I'll just as quick toss a squid strip or clam. 

What's your guys main quarry when fishin with bloodworms?   

Perch, Spot, Kingfish, some guys use whole or half jumbos to fish Stripers in spring.

Squid strip, peeler leg, and FBBW are all tougher/more reliable than crawlers.

Occasionally the fish don't care, but they will ignore crawlers the most often, IMO.

On 4/29/2022 at 4:59 AM, PSegnatelli said:

I don't know what they're costing up here in CT yet, I can't swing that $$.   

I'll try the nightcrawlers/FBBW combo. But I'll just as quick toss a squid strip or clam. 

What's your guys main quarry when fishin with bloodworms?   

Mostly spot & kingfish, stripers early in the season.. croaker aren’t as common any more, at least not any good sized ones, but they were a main target too. But I’ve seen almost everything hit them at one point or another from the usual small stuff I mentioned to tog and flounder to oddball species like lizard fish and mantis shrimp. Newborn dogfish and horseshoe crabs love them too. 

It's hard to beat a worm!  

My best catch on a bw is a 3-4ft sturgeon. 

Another option I'm tryin this year for $$ savings is shrimp.  2lb bag of raw 31-40 was $20.  60-80shrimp total.  I use half a shrimp (cut longways) on a 4/0 circle with some bait thread wrap.  

And I can eat them. 

16 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Another option I'm tryin this year for $$ savings is shrimp.  2lb bag of raw 31-40 was $20.  60-80shrimp total.  I use half a shrimp (cut longways) on a 4/0 circle with some bait thread wrap.  

And I can eat them. 

Man that's a rip off.

Our asian/latino marts down here sell shrimp at $5-$8 an lb.

Can't remember the sizes but it varies within that price.

19 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

And I can eat them. 

Shrimp is always a good option to have. Try cutting it up and salting it too.. The salt toughens it up and keeps it “fresh” (aka not a lethally stinky mess after a couple days). As long as you let the salt dehydrate it enough and drain the moisture overnight it’ll be good for weeks if you keep it cool in between trips.

I use it as a easy grab n go bait for tog/triggers/sheeps/kingfish if I’m packing light and plan on just carrying 1 rod and a sling pack.. I’ve fished with it in my bag in 90+ degree sunny weather for a few hours without any issues, just pop it in the cooler in between trips or throw it in the fridge if I’m not planning on fishing for a few days. I’ve caught a little bit of everything with it, I was pretty surprised by how well it worked after a couple weeks without getting nasty.

6 hours ago, Saltfruit said:

Man that's a rip off.

Our asian/latino marts down here sell shrimp at $5-$8 an lb.

Can't remember the sizes but it varies within that price.

I'm sure I can find a better price. But I really hate shopping.  Plus not too many ethnic stores in my area.  It's like a Martha Stewart magazine around here.  

2 hours ago, Tyger92 said:

Shrimp is always a good option to have. Try cutting it up and salting it too.. The salt toughens it up and keeps it “fresh” (aka not a lethally stinky mess after a couple days). As long as you let the salt dehydrate it enough and drain the moisture overnight it’ll be good for weeks if you keep it cool in between trips.

I use it as a easy grab n go bait for tog/triggers/sheeps/kingfish if I’m packing light and plan on just carrying 1 rod and a sling pack.. I’ve fished with it in my bag in 90+ degree sunny weather for a few hours without any issues, just pop it in the cooler in between trips or throw it in the fridge if I’m not planning on fishing for a few days. I’ve caught a little bit of everything with it, I was pretty surprised by how well it worked after a couple weeks without getting nasty.

Thanks! 

9 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

I'm sure I can find a better price. But I really hate shopping.  Plus not too many ethnic stores in my area.  It's like a Martha Stewart magazine around here.  

Thanks! 

That's what I figure, my sister just moved up to NH and she's gotta drive a significant distance for particular groceries.

A local tackle shop has started a "bloodworm club". It seems to me they feel a bit guilty for the price of the BW but they have to pay ridic $ to get them to the store. Buy 5 containers of BW's at full price, all future purchases of BW get 10% knocked off. 

The bait shop lady at Bucks sold me some Lug worms because she had no bloods.

I didn't catch with them...the worms, or lack of fish, or lack of skill, you pick. 

On 5/18/2022 at 7:29 AM, dena said:

The bait shop lady at Bucks sold me some Lug worms because she had no bloods.

I didn't catch with them...the worms, or lack of fish, or lack of skill, you pick. 

They're imported from China.  I'm hoping people kill them and don't dump them in the water.

1 hour ago, wingsandwater said:

They're imported from China.  I'm hoping people kill them and don't dump them in the water.

I thought they came from Californee, or Europe, specifically the UK, or at least somewhere on the west coast. There are native lugworms.

14 hours ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

I thought they came from Californee, or Europe, specifically the UK, or at least somewhere on the west coast. There are native lugworms.

Yeah but if they're native who's gonna pick em? 

They won't on the east coast, why would they on the west coast?