Very Green Boater wants a Boat

Rate this topic

Ftyer

Hey everyone, so I’ll begin by saying that I’ve never owned a boat but I’ve fished off of plenty. With that said, I’ll be in the Peconic Bay are of Long Island all summer and am considering trying to buy a vessel to fly fish out of. I initially planned to just get a SUP, but I’m not sure if that’s really the best move. 

So my questions are, realistically, what would I be looking at spending here? I was thinking something in the 16 foot range with around a 40-60 hp motor. And does this sound like a safe decision? I’ll be mostly in the bay and won’t even think about getting into the open ocean on the front side of the hamptons. 

I’m open to any suggestions anyone has and I appreciate any and all input, even if it’s just someone telling me “hey bozo, buy the SUP and shutup, what you want is just plain dumb”

I do t know that area personally…..but the famous John Skinner fishes the Peconic in an Alumacraft 16 with a 40 hp. I think it’s a 20 inch transom. Check out YouTube. 

Edited by aae0130

“Shall not be infringed” was the “talk to the hand” of that period. (Me 2022)

Alot of guys do what you want to do in a 16' tinny. Cheap to keep and easy to tow.

"A GAMEFISH (which striped bass should be) Is too valuable to be caught only once"...Lee Wulff

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty" - Thomas Jefferson

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help." Most dangerous words in the English language...Ronald Reagan

Sure. A 16’ V bottom boat with a tiller steer 40 or 60 hp motor would be a great rig. One thing I would suggest is to make sure it rides bow high. That will make taking waves so much easier and safer. Most light tin boats ride bow high, but not all of them. If it just seems to sort of plow through the water I would probably pass it on. And a tiller will usually ride and handle so much better than a console boat since more of your weight will be farther back in the boat and it will be so much more responsive than a boat with cable/hydraulic steering. 

(*member previously known as 'SoCalStripers')

Thank you all for the input here, it’s very appreciated. 

I’m sort of settled on something In the 14 foot range with a motor around 15-20hp. Now my last debate is between getting a V hull or a flat bottom...anyone have any pros and cons there? 

On 4/26/2022 at 2:43 PM, harley48 said:

Please do everyone a favor and take a USCG boating safety course before you buy any boat

You'll need this to operate a boat in NY State waters...

And you couldn't have picked a worse year to buy a boat.  The new & used boat market is as bad if not worse, as the car market for buyers. I've seen my boat's sister ships for sale for the same I paid for her 6 years ago!!!  

Edited by Roccus7

Shall I go to heaven or a-fishing? - H. D. Thoreau

Veni.  Vidi.  Cepi. - with apologies to Gaius Julius Caesar

Are you gonna trailer it or dock? Dock space is stupidly expensive and hard to come by there. My slip was going up to 5k for a 18' boat so i gave it up. He had a 50 person waiting list. Not sure about shelter island or the north fork but town of southampton requires you have a ramp permit. I dont know how much the non resident permit is, but be aware that you may need a permit and some towns may limit how many non resident permits they sell. Probably a good idea to call the town. 

There are quite a few people buying non trailerable boats out there then finding out they have no place to keep it.

Edited by Bergallmaster

the human race has proved darwins theory of evolution wrong. we let the dumb survive. 

23 hours ago, Ftyer said:

I’m sort of settled on something In the 14 foot range with a motor around 15-20hp. Now my last debate is between getting a V hull or a flat bottom...anyone have any pros and cons there? 

vee. no question. That said, most  smaller boats don't have much of a vee anyway

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/5/2022 at 3:47 PM, Ftyer said:

Maybe reconsider, 16 ft and at least a 25hp, preferably a 40. V- Hull Buy right, buy once, buy wrong buy twice.  Bad time to buy, however, that won't stop someone determined. Enjoy the 2 best days of  owning a boat, the day you buy and the day you sell.  

"Thats as big as a fish that size gets" - Russ Wilson
RIP JM

On 5/6/2022 at 3:47 PM, Joe said:

vee. no question. That said, most  smaller boats don't have much of a vee anyway

Yeah….most have vee entry that tapers to round or even flat. 

My Duranautic 16 looks like this: Round-ish…..

A3C04126-6F46-41DF-B4C5-F56F5C801172.jpeg.2d17922890e456d90d479a724f4b5273.jpeg

The entry is vee’d.

A593A092-19A3-4A4A-BAAD-8C0F14DA8A69.jpeg.be1ed00e355433e31cf4d4dd8af6d8ab.jpeg

I run this in Raritan Bay. You need to pick your days though……

“Shall not be infringed” was the “talk to the hand” of that period. (Me 2022)