Ftyer

What to Expect in Long Island

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

So work will have me on a small island inside of the Peconic Bay from about the end of June all the way until the end of October. I’ve fished in Maine for many years where striped bass are about all we have, so I’m wondering what type of species to expect in the Long Island/peconic Bay Area from the middle of summer until the fall. Any info is appreciated and I treat all fish with respect and they get thrown back. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

From a native LI Boy - You'll be amazed at the diversity!!  Very different from our, striper, striper, or striper fishing. And all, with the exception of bluefish very, very tasty!!

You going to be on Shelter Island or someone's private one or one being developed??  Hopefully it will be somewhere with shore access for fishing.  Public access on LI makes access in Maine look easy, which as you know it isn't.  And each town has their own, private boat ramps with very high daily fees if they even have them, not like Maine with all the free ramps and most towns not caring about others using the ramps.

If you feel cramped for space here, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Get your salt water NY registry too, because they'll be checking and if you're bringing a boat, better take the BOAT US on line boating safety course and bring your passing certificate.  It's a whole 'nother smoke down there.

Peconics:

Porgies (Scup, not Bunker (Pogies))

Black Sea Bass

Bluefish

Fluke (Summer Flounder)

Weakfish (Squetague)

Northern Kingifsh 

Blowfish (Puffers)

Blackfish (Tautog)

Some stripers in the early summer and then early fall

Edited by Roccus7

1 hour ago, Roccus7 said:

From a native LI Boy - You'll be amazed at the diversity!!  Very different from our, striper, striper, or striper fishing. And all, with the exception of bluefish very, very tasty!!

You going to be on Shelter Island or someone's private one or one being developed??  Hopefully it will be somewhere with shore access for fishing.  Public access on LI makes access in Maine look easy, which as you know it isn't.  And each town has their own, private boat ramps with very high daily fees if they even have them, not like Maine with all the free ramps and most towns not caring about others using the ramps.

If you feel cramped for space here, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Get your salt water NY registry too, because they'll be checking and if you're bringing a boat, better take the BOAT US on line boating safety course and bring your passing certificate.  It's a whole 'nother smoke down there.

Peconics:

Porgies (Scup, not Bunker (Pogies))

Black Sea Bass

Bluefish

Fluke (Summer Flounder)

Weakfish (Squetague)

Northern Kingifsh 

Blowfish (Puffers)

Blackfish (Tautog)

Some stripers in the early summer and then early fall

I appreciate your response and you hit the nail on the head with Shelter Island. 

From what I can tell, the access shouldn’t be too much trouble, but it is a relatively small island so I’m sure I’ll be fishing the same water often. I’ve been considering getting some type of vessel like a SUP to increase what I can cast to, but I’m just not sure what to expect water-wise and don’t want to purchase something that’s useless. 

I’m shocked to hear that the bass don’t stick around all summer here, but I guess it makes sense if the water gets warm. I’m also shocked Albies or bonito didn’t get mentioned, does anyone know if those come through? 

7 hours ago, Ftyer said:

I appreciate your response and you hit the nail on the head with Shelter Island. 

From what I can tell, the access shouldn’t be too much trouble, but it is a relatively small island so I’m sure I’ll be fishing the same water often. I’ve been considering getting some type of vessel like a SUP to increase what I can cast to, but I’m just not sure what to expect water-wise and don’t want to purchase something that’s useless. 

I’m shocked to hear that the bass don’t stick around all summer here, but I guess it makes sense if the water gets warm. I’m also shocked Albies or bonito didn’t get mentioned, does anyone know if those come through? 

If you're going to be limited to SUP or kayak around Shelter, I hope that where you're working/staying will have access to a launch.  Not sure about Shelter, but even the "local" beaches are looking for resident parking stickers on cars parked there, and have extended that requirement 24/7.  Wasn't that way years ago, launched in Sag Harbor for the now almost extinct flounder late April 40 years or so ago in the middle of huge rain storm.  The local constable pulled into the parking lot and instead of hassling us he just shook his said and said, "You guys are CRAZY!!!"  Yeah, we were, but we did catch some nice flatties...

I'm not sure about albies and bones.  They're both normally very late season fish in the Sound, but not sure about the Bay.  Pretty much "targets of opportunity" and take extreme diligence and intel to find.  I also neglected to mention Spanish Mackerel which have been showing sporadically on the South Shore over the past few years.  

Some bass all summer, but we're talking nocturnal events in very specific areas/tides/conditions; I didn't get much sleep when I lived on LI.  And NOBODY will talk about it, OMERTA reigns in the dedicated striper gang, compounded with the extreme limitations of access and incredible fishing pressure.  

You may want to "splurge" once or twice if you can find a few compatriots and head out of Greenport/Orient on a Six Pack charter that will do a combo striper/blues then sea bass/fluke/porgy run.  Or go hardcore and do a night bass charter in the Plum Gut/Race/Sluiceway; after a sleepless night fishing in those rips you'll get an idea why I consider the daytime striper fishing in Maine obscenely luxurious.  Or you could schlep to the "Holy of Holies" and head out to Montauk for a charter.  There are also party boats out of Greenport and Montauk if the price of a six pack gives you a coronary.  

Feel free to message me if you have any more specific questions...

some great access within an hour of where you are!

learn to throw etiquette out the window and get ready for some quality combat fishing.

14 hours ago, Ftyer said:

I’ve been considering getting some type of vessel like a SUP to increase what I can cast to, but I’m just not sure what to expect water-wise and don’t want to purchase something that’s useless. 

There's some serious dangerous currents in the channels around Shelter I, I was reluctant to kayak there, I don't recommend it to anyone but an expert. There's some back bays though, where paddleboarding may be possible. If you buy a used kayak you can sell it for minimal loss at the end of the season. IDK about access on shelter I itself, but on the N Fork there's several State boat launches with no fee, and some other launch points I found using Googlemaps.  Focus on the County and State parks for access, I used to take my son fishing in a County park in Riverhead all the time when we visiting my parents there, it was like $6 a day.

No issue with a yak during the week , weekends are a sht show with yachts , mega yachts , go fast boats and garden variety weekend warriors. Take the ferry to Greenport as a passenger , good food n beverage and no parking issues 

I was able to put in and kayak after Labor day at the launch on Burns Rd.   There was ample parking, but again it was after season.    There weren't any parking signs as I recall but you should check it out.    The harbor was not an issue for our Hobies, getting out in to (the) bay it started getting rougher.

Edited by TimS
Please don't post maps here or post specific locations - keep it as general as possible please :-)

If you time your yak fishing around slack you should be fine.  As others have said try during the week when it's less crowded.  When I lived on LI I always started for Fluke by Claudio's the end of May when the squid bring in the big fish.  SI is still a beautiful place.

On 4/26/2022 at 3:58 PM, pakalolo said:

No issue with a yak during the week , weekends are a sht show with yachts , mega yachts , go fast boats and garden variety weekend warriors. Take the ferry to Greenport as a passenger , good food n beverage and no parking issues 

I would nix the SUP idea. Too many a******s flying around with no regard for others. This sweetheart forced me to pull anchor and gun it. I still almost capsized in a 18' boat.

20210711_132904.jpg

31 mins ago, GarbageFish said:

holy crap... a randon wake like that would flip my CC @Bergallmaster    you think that captain could even see a yak or some teenagers on a jetski with that yacht.

I was fishing the very northwest side of shelter island. I saw him come around the southwest side, about 3 miles away. I pulled anchor at this point20210711_132813.jpg.9bd3befc6c59e94091299e398e02f489.jpg

He showed no signs of changing course and even if he did, i knew it wasnt gonna be by much and i might roll over. Ive had some hairy situations but that by far was the worst.

Just now, Bergallmaster said:

Ive had some hairy situations but that by far was the worst.

yep down in new jersey with the tankers and barges inshore i would have like 6ft rollers big enough for my 25l shortboard to drop in on.

That should be a jail time.

Simple fine, no matter how big it is, doesn't do much.

With yacht like that, he/she can easily afford almost any fine.

Edited by Popasilov

20 hours ago, GarbageFish said:

holy crap... a randon wake like that would flip my CC @Bergallmaster    you think that captain could even see a yak or some teenagers on a jetski with that yacht.

Jetskis, yes, because they'll see the wake.  A kayak, probably not.

I don't think that kayakers realize how much at risk they are.  I'm a very experienced and safety-oriented boat operator, but I live in fear of running over a kayak.  I don't know how many times, at exactly this time of yearm, I'm fishing for weakfish, running into the glare of a rising sun, and someone in a green or dark blue kayak, wearing a blue jacket, suddenly appears in mid-channel.  There are times when the engines are off and I'm drifting, and kayaks are hard to spot.

It's even worse later in the summer.  I'm not sure how many times I'm running Fire Island Inlet after a day offshore, and hit the usual chaos around Democrat Point/the Sore Thumb.  Drunks on jet skis and small outboards are racing across the channel, crossing from one spot to another.  I'm trying to slow down, but there's a big sportfisherman--and sometime more than one--climbing up my transom, and I'm not sure how mnay beers that guy consumed over the course of the day.  There are family boats drifting for fluke all over the channel, joyriders headed toward the ocean at speed for no easily understood reason, and party boats throwing 3-foot wakes as they move around.  I'm swiveling my head like an owl on speed, trying to see everything  and keep track of all of the threats (radar is essentially useless given the number of targets at close range) when out of the corner of my eye I see a kayak, dead in the middle of the channel, pop up on the top of a party boat wake for a second or two before it disappears back into a trough.  It is not a comforting feeling.

As far as I'm concerned, any kayaker who goes out into a traveled channel on a weekend without a big orange flag and, at low-liight times, a bright strobe harbors a death wish.