Jefffahfffah

Replacing belly treble hooks with single hooks

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I apologize if this has been asked before, but here goes.

I have replaced some plugs' tail treble hooks with singles before which seems like an easy, reasonable idea. But what about metal lips with two belly hooks and only a flag on the tail end? Have you guys noticed you miss more fish when using singles under the lure? I dropped a few fish last night on a metal lip with two belly trebles, and i cant help but wonder if two big single hooks wouldve taken a better bite out of the fish and held on better.

Edited by Jefffahfffah

The way I see things is you have to hook them in order to land them. Less hooks will result in less hookups. How can it not?

I use the 9' jigging world shadow surf rod and I love it.  

Check out their 10'6" Jigging World JW-SH1062S-MH Shadow Surf Rod.  It has the range you are looking for and at a great price.

13 hours ago, Jefffahfffah said:

(Yes it has but you can ask again)

I have replaced some plugs' tail treble hooks with singles before which seems like an easy, reasonable idea. But what about metal lips with two belly hooks and only a flag on the tail end? Have you guys noticed you miss more fish when using singles under the lure? I dropped a few fish last night on a metal lip with two belly trebles, and i cant help but wonder if two big single hooks wouldve taken a better bite out of the fish and held on better.

(I have a couple of plugs I did the same thing too and they actually had a five hits I landed one fish, now this was just one session with this plug I want to give it more of a chance this year just to see but in several videos I've seen well-known anglers using singles dropping fish like they weren't even there.)

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

I like SHARP trebles with the barbs squashed for belly hooks on metal lip swimmers and other plugs. On metal lips I like a flag on the back instead of a hook. Most all other plugs get a single hook on the tail and a treble up front. I like minnow type plugs with 2 not three hooks. I often go up in size on the front hook (the treble) but not big enough to mess up the action or foul on the lip or body of the plug. The single tail hook has a gap between 2/3 to a bit larger than the treble it replaces. The tail hook is also sharp and the barb is squashed. My thinking is that multiple trebles do more damage to fish and fishermen and provide more leverage for hooked fish to get off. My metals carry a single hook, some with hair some without. Hope this is helpful, sorry if it is long winded.

On 4/25/2022 at 7:48 PM, Jefffahfffah said:

Campos right. Dumb idea.  Throw all your singles away

On 4/25/2022 at 7:48 PM, Jefffahfffah said:

I don't think single hooks would have been better for getting the catch. Typically most would say worse for catching, but they are better for the fish and you (easier to remove, not as likely to end up in your hand when the fish decides that the best time to struggle is when you put your hand near its mouth, not as easily wrapped up around a net, not as likely to rip apart the fish's mouth/throat).

...the 2nd hook not likely to go through the fishes skull or even worse, the eyes......

I've seen this many times,  especially even on TV fishing shows...

and the shows host removes both hooks and releases the fish as if

nothing just happened..........

On 4/26/2022 at 6:46 AM, snapper1 said:

Belly hook attachments need to be ''non-swivel''...

Agree with this.  If the belly hook is attached to a swivel, hookup ratio will decrease by a lot.  One hook spinning around will most likely not catch.

I’d rather have more hooks, not less. Seems counterproductive after spending countless hours/time/money to miss quality fish because I took a step backwards on one of the most crucial pieces of gear. 

Systematic use of my hook file and crushed barbs did more to increase my catch than anything else. My buddy used to kid me about my plugs having Velcro on them.

Edited by XBMX