foxfai

Anyone went out togging?

Rate this topic

95 posts in this topic

I just use my five topless traps that I use for blue claws at a local pier and it does not take long to have enough for a day of togging for me and my buddies 

1 hour ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

20220514_140013.jpg.1d2e9b6c41136ca6a5587bc110f61bda.jpgWent out for tog today, caught one short, plus this guy

Slow?

35 mins ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Seemed to slow down once the sun came out actually, which is odd because I always thought they feed in bright sunlight

Someone said here (forgot who) that they feed once lights out, then after a few hours the bigger ones will go deep and hide. I always go and fish first light until about 9-10a. Then figure if I want to move or pack home. Although fish can still be caught after, mostly small and feeding fish

Got the limits of haddock "early" yesterday and today so we went flounder fishing with the time left. Wind against tide yesterday and had only two flounder but a real nice tog on a flounder hook/worm. Today we had 21 flounder in a bit over an hour....

Happy Days!

051322tog.jpg

051422double.jpg

051422jwf.jpg

3 hours ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

20220514_140013.jpg.1d2e9b6c41136ca6a5587bc110f61bda.jpgWent out for tog today, caught one short, plus this guy

How will you prepare your fish?  Ive tried it a number of times, and it's only been...meh?

But others rave, so maybe it's just me.

13 mins ago, bob_G said:

How will you prepare your fish?  Ive tried it a number of times, and it's only been...meh?

But others rave, so maybe it's just me.

I fileted it, poorly I might add, and will fry the filets. Last year when I had it the meat fried up nicely and I made a chowder with it. Last year's fish was also smaller and easier to filet, so I'm not sure why the bigger fish was tougher to filet. I guess I need to catch more fish so I can practice more

13 mins ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

I fileted it, poorly I might add, and will fry the filets. Last year when I had it the meat fried up nicely and I made a chowder with it. Last year's fish was also smaller and easier to filet, so I'm not sure why the bigger fish was tougher to filet. I guess I need to catch more fish so I can practice more

The bigger the fish, the tougher the skin and meat is. Smaller fish is tastier. :drool: 

2 hours ago, foxfai said:

Someone said here (forgot who) that they feed once lights out, then after a few hours the bigger ones will go deep and hide. I always go and fish first light until about 9-10a. Then figure if I want to move or pack home. Although fish can still be caught after, mostly small and feeding fish

I think their feeding is more tide dependent than time of day. I’ve noticed the bite usually dies off at slack tide. 

5 mins ago, z-man said:

I think their feeding is more tide dependent than time of day. I’ve noticed the bite usually dies off at slack tide. 

Well that too. But I've caught fish at slack tide too. 

7 mins ago, foxfai said:

Well that too. But I've caught fish at slack tide too. 

They are a tricky fish to figure out. As soon as you think you have them figured out the next trip you’ll have trouble getting bites doing the same thing. 

7 mins ago, z-man said:

They are a tricky fish to figure out. As soon as you think you have them figured out the next trip you’ll have trouble getting bites doing the same thing. 

Yup, was just about to say that too. I fish them for 20 years I thought I had them dialed in. My go to spot this spring is dead. :banghd: