foxfai

Anyone went out togging?

Rate this topic

95 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, dieselgrady said:

I believe Blackfish spawn in June-July. When I used to spearfish, they would act kind of goofy in early summer and swim around me. It was a little too easy. Before the live market for them developed, I heard lobstermen talk about traps packed with them, once a female found its' way in the boys followed.

I think they can spawn anytime from May to July. 

Got out for a quick before work trip yesterday morning. Think I caught the tail end of the morning bite. Got 7 tog with 2 being keepers in first half hour and then not even a nibble. Need to wake up earlier apparently.

On 5/4/2022 at 6:49 AM, hotfishgirl said:

I was taught by a pro to let the girls go in the spring so i basically leave them alone until after they spawn,i figure it can't hurt?

You talkin' about me?

I had a Chinese guy catch a fat, 8 pound female, plump full of eggs about 5 years ago this month in Quincy. I told him it was full of eggs and we should let it go. To this he says "yeah, you can let it go, first give me a straw and let me suck all the eggs out it's azz".....

(He was really only joking, he had no problem with letting her go.)

8 hours ago, jason colby said:

You talkin' about me?

I had a Chinese guy catch a fat, 8 pound female, plump full of eggs about 5 years ago this month in Quincy. I told him it was full of eggs and we should let it go. To this he says "yeah, you can let it go, first give me a straw and let me suck all the eggs out it's azz".....

(He was really only joking, he had no problem with letting her go.)

Yep

1 hour ago, ermghoti said:

Anybody mind sharing shops around Buzzard's Bay selling crabs? Uncle Kent retired.

M&D have been getting them as of last week

Fishing is so so today at my usual spring spot. Only net a few keepers, not many short either. Bite is just non-existent compare to the usual spring bite. Didn't see bait around which is also unusual at this time of the year. Few boats going in and out couldn't buy a hit on stripers. A father and son duel couldn't get a bite either after an hour or so. 

Perhaps it's the weather messing things up.... I donno. Fish this spots for two decades and never seen this happen. 

On 5/10/2022 at 4:34 PM, ermghoti said:

Anybody mind sharing shops around Buzzard's Bay selling crabs? Uncle Kent retired.

I bought a trap at Ketchum’s in New Beige for $35, zip tied a suet holder on the bottom with a brick and use old frozen Mack in the suet holder. Let it soak overnight and you’ve got a couple dozen green crab. Puts a little dent in the invasive species population too 

I agree Harley but in typical mass upside down logic fashion you need both a green crab letter and a lobster permit if you intend to harvest them in that kind of trap, crazy I know, enforcement is non existent though 

37 mins ago, Two Rock said:

I agree Harley but in typical mass upside down logic fashion you need both a green crab letter and a lobster permit if you intend to harvest them in that kind of trap, crazy I know, enforcement is non existent though 

Eh? Lobster permit? Never heard of that. They also never re-enforce the stupid letter either.

1 hour ago, Two Rock said:

No lobster permit, just the letter and it’s free