foxfai

Anyone went out togging?

Rate this topic

95 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, bob_G said:

Not meaning to sound like a wet blanket, but are tog really that good to eat?

We've tried them a number of times, and they were just...meh?

It seems people either love them, or hate them.  My grandmother loved all fish, and she was lukewarm about them.  But our nextdoor neighbor in Auburn, Mr Anderson, said they were the best fish he ever had.   We often gave him coolers full, and he ate every one. When I was a kid, I used to see old Mr Anderson standing under a light in front of his barn, filleting tog till 11pm.

I've only tried it once and it had firm white flesh, similar to striped bass but a bit more flavor

4 hours ago, bob_G said:

Not meaning to sound like a wet blanket, but are tog really that good to eat?

We've tried them a number of times, and they were just...meh?

It seems people either love them, or hate them.  My grandmother loved all fish, and she was lukewarm about them.  But our nextdoor neighbor in Auburn, Mr Anderson, said they were the best fish he ever had.   We often gave him coolers full, and he ate every one. When I was a kid, I used to see old Mr Anderson standing under a light in front of his barn, filleting tog till 11pm.

They make great sashimi! I use the shoulder loins off 10+ pound fish and the size, shape, texture and taste are all "up there" with any other product. My only issue with tog is mercury content. Sadly, I can only eat them a few times a year now....

3 hours ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

we got our 2 man limit in 30 minutes Saturday evening. 

20220430_190128.jpg

Nice! How deep if I may ask? 

3 hours ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

we got our 2 man limit in 30 minutes Saturday evening. 

20220430_190128.jpg

almost all females.

1 hour ago, hotfishgirl said:

almost all females.

I know. Females outnumbered males 10 to 1. taking my limit once a spring isn't going to do more damage than the commercial tog fishery. 

8 hours ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

I know. Females outnumbered males 10 to 1. taking my limit once a spring isn't going to do more damage than the commercial tog fishery. 

I was taught by a pro to let the girls go in the spring so i basically leave them alone until after they spawn,i figure it can't hurt?

Fished out of Sheepshead Bay until the season closed 4/30. Pick of keeper tog in 45-60' deep, but shallower had very little life. Cod have made a nice come back and are always welcome. As far as seals go, there are not enough in the NY Bight to have much effect, but cormorrants are everywhere, and have seen many emerge from the bottom with small blackfish and eels. I believe they are almost as big a problem as poachers.

4 hours ago, hotfishgirl said:

I was taught by a pro to let the girls go in the spring so i basically leave them alone until after they spawn,i figure it can't hurt?

Same here. I try not to target any fish while spawning. I don’t know why MA doesn’t shut down the Tog season for spawning like CT and RI. 

5 hours ago, hotfishgirl said:

these fish seemed spawned out to me. the few males were extremely skinny and the females were not as fat as they usually are when they are spawning.

I believe Blackfish spawn in June-July. When I used to spearfish, they would act kind of goofy in early summer and swim around me. It was a little too easy. Before the live market for them developed, I heard lobstermen talk about traps packed with them, once a female found its' way in the boys followed.