foxfai

Anyone went out togging?

Rate this topic

95 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Boofish!

Perhaps, but there has been more and more seals and less and less boofish. The numbers of "tasted tails" does not seem to be going down....

1 hour ago, jason colby said:

Perhaps, but there has been more and more seals and less and less boofish. The numbers of "tasted tails" does not seem to be going down....

We see something similar down here and we don’t have many seals.

Well I caught my first almost keeper  bass this morning. Little short of 28” !!!  Also got my first scup :mad:  Tog have moved out of my area now so I guess while everyone says it’s too early for tog but I have caught my limit 3 times over. There is a downside to this. Tog are gone now while it is heating up everywhere else 

2 slow sessions last weekend. 2 small fish Friday, 2 bites no fish Sunday.

I think this coming weekend will be big improvement in my area.

Also going to have a try at my early season bass spot.

2 hours ago, Chris76 said:

Anyone get out there today/end of week? Put the boat in this afternoon . Going to try tomorrow morning in southeast mass.

Friend went back today same spot he was at last week, instant limit and went home in 20 min.

Went out yesterday early to catch the end before low in the early AM. Bite started off OK with some shorts. Then everything got shutdown after the turn. Zero bites after that. No scup, no bait stealers, no tog. Only seen 2 keepers taken out when there was bite. It was a nice day to be out but man, can't figure out the water temp and spring bites anymore and I've been fishing this spot for 20 years.

11 mins ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

I'm going to take a shot this Saturday if I can get away

I was thinking Friday before the stupid wind blows again. But I am not sure where I want to hit with the weather like this .

19 mins ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

I'm going to take a shot this Saturday if I can get away

The wind is certainly a concern. I was hoping it wouldn't matter since I won't be casting and using a 5oz sinker and keeping my line tight. In your experience will the wind matter as much if I am fishing like I described?

Not meaning to sound like a wet blanket, but are tog really that good to eat?

We've tried them a number of times, and they were just...meh?

It seems people either love them, or hate them.  My grandmother loved all fish, and she was lukewarm about them.  But our nextdoor neighbor in Auburn, Mr Anderson, said they were the best fish he ever had.   We often gave him coolers full, and he ate every one. When I was a kid, I used to see old Mr Anderson standing under a light in front of his barn, filleting tog till 11pm.

Posted (edited) · Report post

31 mins ago, bob_G said:

Not meaning to sound like a wet blanket, but are tog really that good to eat?

We've tried them a number of times, and they were just...meh?

It seems people either love them, or hate them.  My grandmother loved all fish, and she was lukewarm about them.  But our nextdoor neighbor in Auburn, Mr Anderson, said they were the best fish he ever had.   We often gave him coolers full, and he ate every one. When I was a kid, I used to see old Mr Anderson standing under a light in front of his barn, filleting tog till 11pm.

To each of their own. They have firm white meat if handled properly. Since they are bottom dwellers, they also do taste similar to whatever they eat, which will be shellfish, crabs. Some people doesn't like that muddy taste.

EDIT: Some times the bigger fish tends to taste mushy. But they are good in a chowda.

Edited by foxfai