Hot & Fast Brisket method, Is it just as good ?

Rate this topic

Just did a hot & fast brisket cook today. My thoughts on it. It was tender & juicy. But the intense smoke flavor was not as prevalent as the low & slow version. I also did the foil boat to get thru the stall quicker to reach the 203* mark. It did cut down the significant time. Going back to my old method of low & slow:drool:

278574252_671824394078955_7586046301254768949_n.jpg

278571002_671824704078924_8618091215753810930_n.jpg

278571025_671824764078918_7702047059813475708_n.jpg

278580063_671824804078914_3027391615209005203_n.jpg

I live to fish. Not fish to live. 

I fish because things in my head tell me to.

1 min ago, gellfex said:

What are the numbers on this 'hot and fast'? I think I said in another thread I'll do 4-5hr at 250 to the plateau, then 350 wrapped to the 205.

325* for about 3hrs. I wanted to make sure the bark was set to how I liked it. then wrapped in butchers paper with boat foil, then hit 203* internal. then removed from smoker & rested for 8 hrs

my low & slow method is 200* smoker temp until the bark is set. usually about 3-4 hours. wrap in butchers paper. then about 8 hours until i internal 203* & temp probe tender

Interesting. I guess the big question is whether it makes a difference how fast you get up to 203 once you're wrapped? I always thought the main point was the temp meant the collagen holding the meat together broke down and made it tender. I think I read that once you're 4-5 hrs in, your meat is not taking up much smoke anyway.

Haven't done a smoke since my wife's birthday brisket in Jan. Dying for a batch of blues! Soon...

34 mins ago, gellfex said:

Interesting. I guess the big question is whether it makes a difference how fast you get up to 203 once you're wrapped? I always thought the main point was the temp meant the collagen holding the meat together broke down and made it tender. I think I read that once you're 4-5 hrs in, your meat is not taking up much smoke anyway.

Haven't done a smoke since my wife's birthday brisket in Jan. Dying for a batch of blues! Soon...

3 hrs is what i read for optimal smoke penetration. after that very little absorption. but i guess when the meat breaks down more. the smoke gets in there from the longer cook time of the low & slow method 

Interesting. Thanks for posting this. I've read and watched so much about comparing low & slow w/ hot and fast. As we know Myron Mixon espouses hot and fast, but as I've learned, competition is different from home cooking. Harry Soo is big on comparison videos and he's done several hot & fast vs low & slow comparisons. I believe one of his class was that for well marbled meat, especially the point, hot and fast din't allow enough fat rendering and it tasted greasy.

I believe it probably has a  lot to do with your cooker. In other words, results for a pellet will be different from a stick burner and from an egg. Thinks like smoke production and air circulation probably have an impact. 

I do a hybrid, start off lowish 235 - 250, and gradually kick up ( 250 - 265) temp as bark gets established, then higher temp at the wrap 275 - 300). Aaron Franklin talks about doing this too.  

I think with a cut as finicky and expensive as brisket, I'd rather fault towards lower and lower, than hotter and faster.

Best regards!

JD

2 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Interesting. Thanks for posting this. I've read and watched so much about comparing low & slow w/ hot and fast. As we know Myron Mixon espouses hot and fast, but as I've learned, competition is different from home cooking. Harry Soo is big on comparison videos and he's done several hot & fast vs low & slow comparisons. I believe one of his class was that for well marbled meat, especially the point, hot and fast din't allow enough fat rendering and it tasted greasy.

I believe it probably has a  lot to do with your cooker. In other words, results for a pellet will be different from a stick burner and from an egg. Thinks like smoke production and air circulation probably have an impact. 

I do a hybrid, start off lowish 235 - 250, and gradually kick up ( 250 - 265) temp as bark gets established, then higher temp at the wrap 275 - 300). Aaron Franklin talks about doing this too.  

I think with a cut as finicky and expensive as brisket, I'd rather fault towards lower and lower, than hotter and faster.

Best regards!

JD

yes. going with the low & slow method on briskets from now on. The only thing I mite keep is the foil boat. 

31 mins ago, Midnightpass said:

I do 215 for the whole cook... Mostly, because I'm lazy... I definitely don't overthink it.. KISS works for me ( Maybe because the last letter (S) fits me to a tee)..

Butch

simplicity is best sometimes. i was trying to cut the cook time. some have said there is no difference. but I can tell there was. even thou it was still tasty, tender, & juicy. The smoke level infusion wasnt as intense as I wanted. 

On 4/25/2022 at 6:34 PM, Midnightpass said:

I do 215 for the whole cook... Mostly, because I'm lazy... I definitely don't overthink it.. KISS works for me ( Maybe because the last letter (S) fits me to a tee)..

Butch

No wrap for the duration?