bob_G

Man, I'm not liking all these seals

Rate this topic

243 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

For decades my family rented a big place in Truro   Back in the early 60's my grandfather and uncles rented from may 1 till November 1   Then in the 70's after uncle Shel died they rented from May till September. After my grandfather died in the 80's it was Memorial Day till Labor Day. My dad wasn't into it like them but he kept it going for the rest of the family till 2004. The rest of us are priced out now. We kept it going for 2 weeks in July and August until the pigeons took over.  Now 1 week in August and a few weekends to fish the outer beaches.*

Edited by TimS
politics and off topic insults

When every single thought you have goes through a political filter is it time to reevaluate your thinking. 

4 hours ago, Kones1 said:

Democrats have the reverse Midas touch.  Reeeeeetarts 

Since you never seem to learn, you can post from mod queue until you figure it out. This is your last opportunity, next time you get the door slammed.

TimS

4 hours ago, Kones1 said:

For decades my family rented a big place in Truro   Back in the early 60's my grandfather and uncles rented from may 1 till November 1   Then in the 70's after uncle Shel died they rented from May till September. After my grandfather died in the 80's it was Memorial Day till Labor Day. My dad wasn't into it like them but he kept it going for the rest of the family till 2004. The rest of us are priced out now. We kept it going for 2 weeks in July and August until the pigeons took over.  Now 1 week in August and a few weekends to fish the outer beaches. They priced us out, won't let us share a taxpayer beach with a pigeon and have mismanaged our resources pitifully. Democrats have the reverse Midas touch.  Reeeeeetarts 

That must have been fun having a place to stay all summer. That would cost a fortune today. A big house now is over $10K a week. 

I fished at a southern cape beach today. I don’t think I’ve ever seen more than the occasional single seal cruising by. Today there was a heard of 20+ seals hanging out/ feeding the whole time I was there. It’s getting bad. These things have got to be doing some damage to the striper population. 

23 hours ago, bob_G said:

Let's not forget about the an entire labor force that's been eliminated. 

For decades, college students from  all over New England would flock to the Cape for summer jobs. 5-6 students would get together, rent a home for the summer, line up summer jobs, and spend the summer on the Cape. Hanging out with girls, the beach, cruising the Main streets of Hyannis, Yarmouth, and P town till 2am.   Rents were cheap, so was gas. Life was good.

That ship sailed.  College kids had their summer jobs lined up by March.   Do college students even work anymore?

So true.  Some of my absolute best memories were working in Orleans as a kid. From the age of 15 until I graduated college, I always had a summer job  Started out at Mayos, then the Fish Market, Eastward Ho, the Lobster and Clam bar to name a few. What an awesome way for a kid to spend the summer.  We would jump in the jeeps on our days off and spend the day on the outer beach.  Or in a boat.   At night, bar hopping from the Ho, to the Squire, the Yardarm, the list was endless.  And the girls.......  everyone just wanted to have fun.     You couldn't ask for a better way to grow up. 

Thanks for bringing up some great memories

Edited by Jeff270

On 5/14/2022 at 8:00 PM, K Foley said:

There are problems ; but your opinions are a "little" over the top. The Cape won't be closing anytime soon and there is still swimming ocean side too.

My family has owned a house in Eastham since the 70’s. There is a significant change in the recreational pursuits of people on the cape since 2015-ish. I haven’t been to Nauset beach in last 5 yrs when swimming isnt closed. I can no longer fish there due to the seals. Moving north to Marconi, Newcom, Ballston, Coast Guard and Head of the Meadow and I rarely see anyone in the water. I’m not familiar with beaches south of there but the prevailing sentiment where I am familiar is that the shark menace isn’t worth it.   

Edited by ANGCorsair

2 hours ago, TimS said:

Since you never seem to learn, you can post from mod queue until you figure it out. This is your last opportunity, next time you get the door slammed.

TimS

Tim my opinion matters as much as anyone else's. I've seen management work in Florida. Florida has 5 outstanding inshore fisheries, snook , red fish , bone fish , permit and tarpon   People on here say way way worse things. I try I really do   I will try harder but I'm a nonconformist anti government country boy that means no harm.  I contribute here and this is part of my hobby. Why have political conservations if we can't voice our opinions ? This is not right to shut me down for voicing mine. Not a personal attack on anyone , just a fact of what has been happening in our country by them   I value my privilege to be here and I try to contribute in positive ways     Thank you Tim a million times for this site.  

27 mins ago, Kones1 said:

Tim my opinion matters as much as anyone else's. I've seen management work in Florida. Florida has 5 outstanding inshore fisheries, snook , red fish , bone fish , permit and tarpon   People on here say way way worse things. I try I really do   I will try harder but I'm a nonconformist anti government country boy that means no harm.  I contribute here and this is part of my hobby. Why have political conservations if we can't voice our opinions ? This is not right to shut me down for voicing mine. Not a personal attack on anyone , just a fact of what has been happening in our country by them   I value my privilege to be here and I try to contribute in positive ways     Thank you Tim a million times for this site.  

This forum doesn't allow political discussions - your political opinion is not only not on topic in this forum, it's not allowed in this forum. You've been asked before to stop - that means leaving your political opinions out of this forum. You don't. Then you call democrats "reetards" because you disagree with them. I appreciate that you are trying, but you are not succeeding. I've had to edit a number of your posts that were racist. I don't know how else to get you to leave your politics in just the PG forum, to not call people names and to stop with the racist stuff in all the forums. You can voice your political opinions in the PG forum - that's it. And nowhere on this site can you call people "reetards". And nowhere on this site are you welcome to suggest people "shoot rocks" at people of races you believe are poachers. I'm gonna leave you in mod queue for a bit while we see if you can keep working these things - but I do appreciate that you are trying :howdy:

2 hours ago, ANGCorsair said:

My family has owned a house in Eastham since the 70’s. There is a significant change in the recreational pursuits of people on the cape since 2015-ish. I haven’t been to Nauset beach in last 5 yrs when swimming isnt closed. I can no longer fish there due to the seals. Moving north to Marconi, Newcom, Ballston, Coast Guard and Head of the Meadow and I rarely see anyone in the water. I’m not familiar with beaches south of there but the prevailing sentiment where I am familiar is that the shark menace isn’t worth it.   

I think plenty of people still go in the water. They just stay closer to shore. If it’s not all nasty mung and seal crap. 

5 hours ago, z-man said:

I fished at a southern cape beach today. I don’t think I’ve ever seen more than the occasional single seal cruising by. Today there was a heard of 20+ seals hanging out/ feeding the whole time I was there. It’s getting bad. These things have got to be doing some damage to the striper population. 

Saw ten at a south side beach this weekend myself.

On 5/15/2022 at 8:40 PM, Kones1 said:

Tim my opinion matters as much as anyone else's.   People on here say way way worse things. I try I really do   I will try harder but I'm a nonconformist anti government country boy that means no harm.  I contribute here and this is part of my hobby. Why have political conservations if we can't voice our opinions ? This is not right to shut me down for voicing mine. Not a personal attack on anyone , just a fact of what has been happening in our country by them   I value my privilege to be here and I try to contribute in positive ways     Thank you Tim a million times for this site.  

Enough of you too bb1.

You've been warned ad nauseam. You still persist. You never get the message. But then again, perhaps you don't want to get the message.  I really enjoy your fishing posts, but right now they're becoming a liability.

Edited by bob_G

On 5/2/2022 at 7:34 AM, AckStriperGuyDD said:

I'm not bragging.  I've never killed a seal.  Guys up there have had enough and they take care of business.  They probably do it on the Vinyard too.  

Don’t ever look for a career in the mafia.

On 5/14/2022 at 9:15 PM, bob_G said:

Let's not forget about the an entire labor force that's been eliminated. 

For decades, college students from  all over New England would flock to the Cape for summer jobs. 5-6 students would get together, rent a home for the summer, line up summer jobs, and spend the summer on the Cape. Hanging out with girls, the beach, cruising the Main streets of Hyannis, Yarmouth, and P town till 2am.   Rents were cheap, so was gas. Life was good.

That ship sailed.  College kids had their summer jobs lined up by March.   Do college students even work anymore?

We can’t fill a single summer job for the Dpw here in Provincetown. 
40 hour 4.5 day weeks with weekends off.

I would have killed for that when I was a kid.

there is literally nowhere for someone to live in the summer here anymore….zero.

On 5/15/2022 at 10:47 PM, z-man said:

I think plenty of people still go in the water. They just stay closer to shore. If it’s not all nasty mung and seal crap. 

Most shark attacks on humans are in shallow, wading water.