bob_G

Man, I'm not liking all these seals

Rate this topic

231 posts in this topic

Should've been shooting at them like I said 22 years ago. There would still be plenty but they would keep their distance. No fear = no respect. Now look. 

Gray seals do not seem to have much fear of humans when in the water. But I guess that makes partial sense: they weigh 600 pounds with the jaws of a bear. Gangly thin 180lb humans aren't exactly a challenging profile 

Gray Seal maws 

Picsart_22-04-28_17-38-47-398.jpg.1981ceb079df367bf5c00dd5f245a254.jpg

2 hours ago, Kones1 said:

Should've been shooting at them like I said 22 years ago. There would still be plenty but they would keep their distance. No fear = no respect. Now look. 

I just put together a .17 hmr with a bipod and a 6-24x that would be perfect if they ever went back to $5 a nose.

On 4/24/2022 at 0:46 PM, Gotcow? said:

You can basically forget fishing out front.

They are all going to learn that a human with a big stick means a free lunch.

They will destroy what little is left of the fishery.

It's time for fishermen to take matters into our own hands.  If the government won't cull the seals then we need to do what we need to do and we all know what that is.

On 4/24/2022 at 7:22 PM, Jeff270 said:

If the courts treat dead seals like they do poached fish, blast away.  Most you will get is a slap on the wrist.

I think the government would actually welcome a stealth culling.  They would have a hard time implementing a legal cull but a cull that happened after hours might be just what they're looking for.  Everyone knows there are too many seals.    

On 4/24/2022 at 8:04 PM, Dthfrmabove1 said:

You guys have no idea how bad it can get with the big greys. I fish Nantucket a lot during the summer out at great point and the grey seals will actually sit and watch you from 20 yds out and not leave. These seals actually know what it looks like when you have a fish on and will search for the hooked fish.  Getting a fish by them is a team effort to say the least with a couple people on the beach running at the seal when it come up on the beach and chases your fish you caught. When you get that fish by the seals it’s a parade of honking horns in cars and hoots and hollers from the crowd. Hahah 

The best way to save your fish sometimes is to open the bail and let the fish swim free when the seal tracks it. Fish will run and the seal will

Loose  interest becuase it knows it’s not a free meal. It’s only going to get worse as the time goes by. 
 Here is one just waiting for a fish to get caught. Sucker was too lazy to even get back in the water 

You even have to watch out for the gulls. They will try and steal your bait right off your line while you cast. 

The guys on Nantucket take care of business after hours off Great Point.  It's not uncommon to hear steady gunshots when you're fishing up there at night. 

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

So you're saying guys go out at night, shoot seals.  None of these bullet ridden seals wash ashore, and no one is the wiser?

Dead, bloody seals are quickly washed out to sea and eaten by the Great Whites.

2 hours ago, Potterhead said:

Judging by the webcam, it looks like they just keep multiplying! 

Short of a deadly contagious seal disease that wipes out huge numbers, I think we are stuck with them. No amount of shooting, poisoning, or any other human intervention will outstrip the birth rate of new pups, unless it's a gov't sponsored elimination program on a massive scale. And you know that won't happen...