bob_G

Man, I'm not liking all these seals

Rate this topic

320 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

45 mins ago, bob_G said:

Joe,

 

I asked him for one,  to hang my wall.  You'd think I asked him for one of his kidneys. :dismay:

 

Asking for that plug was a good test of friendship, Bob.  Now you know who your real friends are.

Edited by Joe G

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 mins ago, Joe G said:

 

Asking for that plug was a good test of friendship, Bob.  Now you know who your real friends are.

I have no friends,  so let me help u on that, no one likes me anyway 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So here's a question, and I don't think I was ever mugged by a seal before. I had a hookup, likely foul-hooked, fish went on a decent run, eventually it stopped and I felt like I was pulling on a lobster trap with almost no give, then my braid snapped somewhere in the water, but not at the swivel. It was brand new 30lb yo zuri braid, as they were sold out of jbraid. Then I retie and see a seal sticking out his head. Could it be that it snatched my fish and ripped it off with a single pull? It didn't run or anything, I assume they spool you in seconds. Why did my braid snap in the middle, some random abrasion?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ifishthebadspots said:

So here's a question, and I don't think I was ever mugged by a seal before. I had a hookup, likely foul-hooked, fish went on a decent run, eventually it stopped and I felt like I was pulling on a lobster trap with almost no give, then my braid snapped somewhere in the water, but not at the swivel. It was brand new 30lb yo zuri braid, as they were sold out of jbraid. Then I retie and see a seal sticking out his head. Could it be that it snatched my fish and ripped it off with a single pull? It didn't run or anything, I assume they spool you in seconds. Why did my braid snap in the middle, some random abrasion?

They don't necessarily spool you. They are smart and inquisitive creatures used to getting their way. Cousin has had a few seals on the line. Sometimes they just spool you immediately but sometimes they pause and try to figure out what's going on instead. Cousin has had seals pop up out of the water and swim closer to the boat with the fish in their mouth trying to understand what's going on.

 

Quite possible it was just sitting there debating what to do or even swimming towards you before changing his mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, z-man said:

“Such a sweet gray seal”. 
comments like that are why nothing will ever be done to reduce the seal population. 

Tell her---and we all know it's a her---to go over and try to pet sweet Mr. Gray. :rolleyes: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bb1 said:

Will there be any fish left in that pond?  

I doubt it. I’d feed it a poisoned frozen mackerel and save the fish in the pond. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bob_G said:

Anyone recall when a seal made it's way up from CCB and into the Sandwich trout hatchery?

Vaguely. Im.surprised a seal hasnt gotten into Carter Beal or even Great Herring pd from the Bournedale herring run. Maybe it happened and i wasnt aware of it? 

 

Then again, maybe its not possible to get around blockages without the seal portaging over land lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bdowning said:

Vaguely. Im.surprised a seal hasnt gotten into Carter Beal or even Great Herring pd from the Bournedale herring run. Maybe it happened and i wasnt aware of it? 

 

Then again, maybe its not possible to get around blockages without the seal portaging over land lol. 

I wouldn't put it past one of those bastages to do that---I've heard of them chasing guys up the beach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.