bob_G

Man, I'm not liking all these seals

Rate this topic

301 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, bob_G said:

Curious observation. 

All spring we had greys hanging around, sometimes three at a time.  Now that's spring is almost over, they're gone.   All we have hanging around is a small, harmless harbor seal.

That's cuz there are no fish in the Canal. :bucktooth:

4 hours ago, bob_G said:

Do you get a state pin for that?

Yes, why yes you do, like the 200 lb Deer patch, but with a Seal on it :p

3 hours ago, bob_G said:

All kidding aside, I wonder if Native Americans can hunt them?  And if they can, why aren't they doing so?

Native Americans, for the most part live inland. The ones that live on the West Coast have fought hard to establish their rights to hunt Grey Whales, which they do now. Now sure about seals though.

On the East Coast, I don't believe they ate seals or Whales, but I could be wrong.

The Eskimos still hunt and eat seals.

13 hours ago, bob_G said:

All kidding aside, I wonder if Native Americans can hunt them?  And if they can, why aren't they doing so?

There is no market for the seals, they would make a good boot knee high for hunting l almost bought a pair in 1964 when l was stationed their handmade.

Native Americans have modern problems like water rights, and healthcare issues. At least in my state they are helping with issues such as allowing alewives to return to historic runs. Protectors of the water and resources. There is no honor in killing a seal for anyone of you complainers, a Native would rather be left for dead then be employed in such a lowly endeavor. 

On 5/20/2022 at 4:13 PM, Ditch Jigger said:

The Marine Mammal Protection Act was signed into law on October 21, 1972. The identity of the President who signed it on that date is a historical fact. It's not clear whether there were enough votes in Congress to override, if he vetoed it, but in any event, he was a supporter of it.

Do you have a point, or are you just going to complain about how unfairly you've been treated, despite still being here after several bans and stays in mod queue, and countless edited political posts? :rolleyes: 

Not really 'complaining'....it's all factual.

The 'point' would be....if I named the President (by name), I would probably be accused of........being 'political'.

21 hours ago, StriperSurg said:

Native Americans, for the most part live inland. The ones that live on the West Coast have fought hard to establish their rights to hunt Grey Whales, which they do now. Now sure about seals though.

On the East Coast, I don't believe they ate seals or Whales, but I could be wrong.

The Eskimos still hunt and eat seals.

I hear Eskimos use them for chewing gum.

June 11 there is going to be a food truck festival in Bourne sponsored by The Marine Life Center.

Buy a meal and save a seal..................

21 mins ago, b-ware said:

June 11 there is going to be a food truck festival in Bourne sponsored by The Marine Life Center.

Buy a meal and save a seal..................

Bernie,

Will they be serving seals? Maybe seal on a stick. Only $5.00 to get in to buy something such a deal! Never understood the food truck thing anyway. Food to go on a paper plate and stand up to eat.

1 min ago, K Foley said:

Bernie,

Will they be serving seals? Maybe seal on a stick. Only $5.00 to get in to buy something such a deal! Never understood the food truck thing anyway. Food to go on a paper plate and stand up to eat.

Having worked on constuction for many years i have eaten "Roach Coach" food quite often, tasty,  not that healthy, but a necessity on many days.................

35 mins ago, K Foley said:

Never understood the food truck thing anyway. Food to go on a paper plate and stand up to eat.

In a recent neighborhood survey, the Chicken and Rice Guys was voted the best food truck in Boston.

"Middle Eastern halal street food.  Savory plates of chicken--baked, grilled, then finely chopped--with rice, doused in its famous white sauce" 

2 hours ago, b-ware said:

Having worked on constuction for many years i have eaten "Roach Coach" food quite often, tasty,  not that healthy, but a necessity on many days.................

Agree had many a meal from a roach coach as you say. Because it was the only thing available if you did not pack a lunch.

1 hour ago, Joe G said:

In a recent neighborhood survey, the Chicken and Rice Guys was voted the best food truck in Boston.

"Middle Eastern halal street food.  Savory plates of chicken--baked, grilled, then finely chopped--with rice, doused in its famous white sauce" 

No thanks.

21 mins ago, K Foley said:

No thanks.

For some city dwellers who tend to look down their nose at working folks it's Haute Cuisine......................... and Lucy gets a free camel burger.........................