ProSkateFisherman

April/May fishing reports

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

48 mins ago, RWP said:

I honestly didn't even know that eagle claw was still around.

Eagle claw lazer sharp and trokar hooks are pretty good IMO. Not the best but definitely not the worst. The snelled pre packaged hooks are good for beginners and I only use them ice fishing on my tip ups, just easier to not have to tie leaders and hooks with cold hands. I also like lazer sharp powerlight swivels. And most of their hooks are made in the USA, which I like. Lazer sharp has these drop shot hooks which are very cool I think. 

01B82299-405B-4DA9-949A-58E39126B769.jpeg.f089596b35c9495361c55e27ba8bc8c5.jpegThey have this bait keeper on it so the plastic has better action. After a few fish the stoppers sometimes get loose and you have to fix it or the keeper breaks but the hook itself is very sharp and strong, so you can take the extra stuff off and use it like a normal hook. 

Eagle Claw is the only hook brand (to my knowledge) that makes their hooks in the USA, but I don’t think they are all made in the USA. I like most of their hooks. I guess just stay away from their jigs and you’ll be fine

Posted (edited) · Report post

Some decent reds tonight. Nothing huge. Plenty of short trout and cocktail blues feeding under the lights as well. Went through some paddle tails working through the smaller fish.

20220518_005855.jpg.fa4bb9561f7ce7d7dc6718581e5f6f29.jpg

62847e9b32c88_Screenshot_20220518-005507_PhotoEditor.jpg.5194543d321099eff053cd076cee15e5.jpg

Edited by Sandbar1

Went out for a quick sunset trip and nailed a 32 inch striper on a 5” SP minnow. They’re definitely out there in numbers.

Went out eastern shore today for a sunset jaunt.

Shorty stripers for me, saw some trout and the first big red pulled up by crab-tossers.

1 hour ago, Stryper Snyper said:

Is that a banana in your pocket or are you just happy to see the fish:wee:

It’s a folded pack of zman’s hahaha

No dice on the trout front, they're moving very differently from last year.

Managed a nice bass while trying for some of those early drum however....

F4A2F7EF-48F4-436D-A22F-94BE353A2EFF.jpeg

1 hour ago, danta said:

this dam weather might mess up the fishing.

Already has. At least in freshwater. Went trout fishing a week ago. Caught plenty. Went out yesterday to catch some trout after the 100-degree weekend and nobody caught anything. Water temp rose 9 degrees in less than 48 hours. Messed them up. Went from around 58 to 67 at the hottest. Now it's down to 63 last I checked. Time to switch back to walleyes and smallmouth! The other day I helped net a 5-pound smallmouth. 21 1/2". Massively fat. Biggest I've seen landed. 

2 hours ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

Already has. At least in freshwater. Went trout fishing a week ago. Caught plenty. Went out yesterday to catch some trout after the 100-degree weekend and nobody caught anything. Water temp rose 9 degrees in less than 48 hours. Messed them up. Went from around 58 to 67 at the hottest. Now it's down to 63 last I checked. Time to switch back to walleyes and smallmouth! The other day I helped net a 5-pound smallmouth. 21 1/2". Massively fat. Biggest I've seen landed. 

Yeah sweet's a little more volatile rn.

The bay side fish'll just hunker down and keep quiet a day.

I'm gonna try getting out thurs night, bigguns should still be around.