ProSkateFisherman

April/May fishing reports

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

Went out yesterday in search of shad in the Susquehanna. The conowingo is closed and the Susquehanna is super flooded. Ended up fishing deer creek and catching 3 shad at sundown. Nothing big, but one was real thick. Never fished deer creek. Very pretty. Reminded me of salmon fishing in NY except way nicer and less crowded lol. I also watched an osprey dive and pick up a 12”-ish trout. That was pretty neat to watch in real life. It was like a nature documentary. It was real nice out yesterday. Cooled down in the evening, perfect temperature, around 70. It was a picturesque scene. A guy fly fishing next to me hooked two and lost one. Right before I left carp started jumping about 15-20 feet away. Water was about 60.  

Went out last night looking for trout in the wind. Made mistake of using cheap jigheads with light wire hooks. Hooked into a cow Bass and almost got the grips on her when she made another run for structure, I had to lock down the drag and the hook bent out immediately. Landed a bunch of cookie cutter Bass after that but nothing of great size.

20220512_005423.jpg.30dd923e4d74ad47368f0123a875d5d9.jpg

Screenshot_20220512-005530_VSCO.jpg.7b2787363ed0a26fa19b93113b717dc0.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

Went out last night looking for trout in the wind. Made mistake of using cheap jigheads with light wire hooks. Hooked into a cow Bass and almost got the grips on her when she made another run for structure, I had to lock down the drag and the hook bent out immediately. Landed a bunch of cookie cutter Bass after that but nothing of great size.

20220512_005423.jpg.30dd923e4d74ad47368f0123a875d5d9.jpg

Screenshot_20220512-005530_VSCO.jpg.7b2787363ed0a26fa19b93113b717dc0.jpg

Still a nice fish you got there. Always a shame to lose a big fish. If I may ask, what kind of jig heads were you using? They kind of look like eagle claw jigs.

Edited by ProSkateFisherman

3 mins ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

Still a nice fish you got there. If I may ask, what kind of jig heads were you using? They kind of look like eagle claw jigs.

They are and I should have known better, the EC hooks are terrible. I picked some up when I was mugged by rays a couple weeks ago and got sick of going through good lead.

After dropping that fish I switched to some bucktails from @Dan Tinman. Quality SS hooks and I've never bent one out. Even turning fish in the boulders up north.

1 hour ago, Sandbar1 said:

They are and I should have known better, the EC hooks are terrible. I picked some up when I was mugged by rays a couple weeks ago and got sick of going through good lead.

After dropping that fish I switched to some bucktails from @Dan Tinman. Quality SS hooks and I've never bent one out. Even turning fish in the boulders up north.

I just bought some eagle claw jigs at walfart for $3. Don’t know what I’ll do with them now. Never bent a gotcha brand jigs hook. That’s what I use most of the time. People tend to think most about how strong their line is but what good is strong line if you can’t put pressure on the fish out of fear your hook will bend or break.

9 mins ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

I just bought some eagle claw jigs at walfart for $3. Don’t know what I’ll do with them now. Never bent a gotcha brand jigs hook. That’s what I use most of the time. People tend to think most about how strong their line is but what good is strong line if you can’t put pressure on the fish out of fear your hook will bend or break.

The problem with large bass is the bony Jaw puts torque against the hook. 

Got into some trout tonight. Heavy wind and high waters, I'm using 1.5 oz where a weightless swimbait hook usually gets the job done.

20220512_233216.jpg.10c3088c83bb970260f6339f2d7e2502.jpg

22 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

Heading out tomorrow for some backpacking in WV. Hopefully the native brookies in Appalachiastan will cooperate.

20220512_235037.jpg.1b0882cc2ec82309b5181f53e0efdb88.jpg

lol, go get 'em!

17 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

Heading out tomorrow for some backpacking in WV. Hopefully the native brookies in Appalachiastan will cooperate.

20220512_235037.jpg.1b0882cc2ec82309b5181f53e0efdb88.jpg

Nice bear-free zone you got there. Lol

3 hours ago, Saltfruit said:

Nice bear-free zone you got there. Lol

Haven't been bothered on any previous trips. Tons of sign in certain areas though, scat and tracks. We take precautions.

image.jpg.f230527ebaf89322d96828f16acf0d87.jpgThis is one of the eagle claw jigs. This was done with my thumb and pointer finger. Don’t think I’ll be using these at all. I’ll just give them to some kid or something. Don’t cheap out on hooks/jigs, because when you hook into that monster fish, when it really matters how strong your hook is, you don’t want to have junky bendy hooks. I think I’ll stick with my gotcha jigs from now on lol

19 mins ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

image.jpg.f230527ebaf89322d96828f16acf0d87.jpgThis is one of the eagle claw jigs. This was done with my thumb and pointer finger. Don’t think I’ll be using these at all. I’ll just give them to some kid or something. Don’t cheap out on hooks/jigs, because when you hook into that monster fish, when it really matters how strong your hook is, you don’t want to have junky bendy hooks. I think I’ll stick with my gotcha jigs from now on lol

I honestly didn't even know that eagle claw was still around.