Dragonbob

Alternative spring river-run striped bass baits?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

With the spring stripers coming into the CT River and many other rivers in the northeast I was wondering if anyone knew of any good baits to use for them besides bloodworms or sandworms. It seems every single person along the river just uses bloodworms and sandworms. I was hoping to save a few bucks by using cut American shad or live eels (caught myself). Other options may include clams, live fallfish, or live white perch. Let me know what you guys think about using alternative baits and any experience you might have. Will it work? Or is anything besides 13 dollars a dozen sandworms a waste of time? 

When I fish for stripers in the river up North during the summer it's eels all around me, and the majority of my fish are taken on a dark SP.

So I would say eels are fine, but I'm wondering if it's a bit early for them. 

These fish eat practically everything, so it might be worth experimenting a bit.

I prefer cut bait to sand and bloodworms.

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Patrick W said:

When I fish for stripers in the river up North during the summer it's eels all around me, and the majority of my fish are taken on a dark SP.

So I would say eels are fine, but I'm wondering if it's a bit early for them. 

These fish eat practically everything, so it might be worth experimenting a bit.

I prefer cut bait to sand and bloodworms.

Jig head and paddle tail

Edited by codfish

I don't know what the rules are pertaining to american shad in CT...but what you suggested (as a bait option) would be illegal here in MA...so just double check before you use (I'm sure cut shad would be great bait to use, if legal down your way)

River run stripers, its usually lures that imitate herring. I have tried chunking with shad and had very little success, sandworms seem to work better for me. Eels are my go to but I use them when the striper head back down after the river temps get too high. 

8 hours ago, albacized said:

I don't know what the rules are pertaining to american shad in CT...but what you suggested (as a bait option) would be illegal here in MA...so just double check before you use (I'm sure cut shad would be great bait to use, if legal down your way)

I believe it is legal. They say any fish legally harvested besides a few can be used for bait.

7 hours ago, ijuanaspearfish said:

River run stripers, its usually lures that imitate herring. I have tried chunking with shad and had very little success, sandworms seem to work better for me. Eels are my go to but I use them when the striper head back down after the river temps get too high. 

Thanks, I think that if I can catch eels in the tiny creeks around then I will try live lining them. If nothing else I should manage a few catfish on the shad. 

8 hours ago, albacized said:

4 mins ago, Dragonbob said:

I believe it is legal. They say any fish legally harvested besides a few can be used for bait.

CT DEEP Inland Rules

"BAIT Any animal or vegetable, or their parts, living or dead, used with a hook for the purpose of attracting and catching fish. Any fish legally acquired, except largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, chain pickerel, northern pike, trout, salmon, carp and goldfish may be used as bait."

so yes, if the American Shad is caught legally. 

8 hours ago, codfish said:

Jig head and paddle tail

That seems to be another very popular option. What size would work for both schoolies and slot-sized bass? I know people recommend the 8-11 inch range but would catch rates be affected if I used a 5-7 inch lure? 

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, Dragonbob said:

With the spring stripers coming into the CT River and many other rivers in the northeast I was wondering if anyone knew of any good baits to use for them besides bloodworms or sandworms. It seems every single person along the river just uses bloodworms and sandworms. I was hoping to save a few bucks by using cut American shad or live eels (caught myself). Other options may include clams, live fallfish, or live white perch. Let me know what you guys think about using alternative baits and any experience you might have. Will it work? Or is anything besides 13 dollars a dozen sandworms a waste of time? 

My plan for this year is middleneck/top neck clams.  

Shuck as needed for bait, eat the remaining myself.  I even bought a holder for my mini Tabasco bottles that attaches to my bag. 

I'm figuring that even at 5-6 bucks a dozen I'm out ahead and happy AF. 

ETA.   I may even toss in a few oysters too.  

Edited by PSegnatelli

Posted (edited)

Honestly thou, I wouldn't overthink it.  There's a person on here that uses chicken breast.   Right place and time they'll hit just about anything.  I once caught a mahi on a cheeto.  Then my wife wanted to try and caught one, then we had a competition on what worked better curls or crunchy.    

I'm just tryin to say, try it.  Who knows what will happen. 

I'm done buyin sandworms.   Like I said in the above post.  I'll buy clams and eat.    Or squid is always a favorite of mine. Asian shore crabs are plentiful.  

I did try chunk bluegills and caught nothing, but it coulda been the day.  

Edited by PSegnatelli