RyanPost

Top Flies for Stripers/Blues and Weakies?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Looking to fish back bays of the North Shore.... Which flies would you recommend? Looking into grass shrimp flies, clousers, and some decievers..... Anything else?

Ryan,

North Shore of Long Island - or MA?

Just kidding - doesn't matter.

When Bass are feeding - they will eat anything.

I woud addd sand eels, Peanut Bunker, definately Gurglers, Flat wings.

Just keep the flies SPARSE.

Most commercil stuff are too heaviely dressed.

Herb

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, HL said:

Ryan,

North Shore of Long Island - or MA?

Just kidding - doesn't matter.

When Bass are feeding - they will eat anything.

I woud addd sand eels, Peanut Bunker, definately Gurglers, Flat wings.

Herb

Good points. I'd add Bob's Bangers along with the Gurglers and a simple blonde-type pattern tied with sand eel colors or a brighter version using chartreuse or yellow. You can crank out many of these if you're tying your own. When stripers are hungry, you don't need precision in matching bait. Good fishing.

Edited by South Shore Fly

Another great fly for those waters is Strolis's silly rabbit. Super easy to tie, very durable, and can be done in a variety of sizes. 

Posted (edited)

Tabory snakefly’s…. It’s my goto fly for most all species. I just alter the size and colors and clip the head deer hair as needed. I’ll even be using super sharp 3/0 snakefly’s this season on gulf coast Tarpon the next two month. They breathe on their own and just plain catch fish. Can fish them on top and all the way down. Can’t ask more of a fly than that. For me they are the Swiss Army knife of flies. 

There are other good flies out there and God knows I own plenty of them but no fly I have has out fished Tabory Snakefly’s for me night in and night out. Admittedly I don’t enjoy fishing flies as heavy as jigs, as stiff and lifeless as plastic plugs, nor’ the size of ostrich tail feathers. 

Edited by Jim DE

Just too many to list, all great suggestions already mentioned in previous posts. N shore LI for me every spring for the last 30 yrs....sandeels, small and very small, gurglers, flatwings sparse, a deceiver or  two slightly larger and fuller in peanut bunker shades. 7wt and a floating line, maybe a short poly leader if I need to get down faster.

On 22/04/2022 at 4:07 PM, HL said:

What he says ^^^

And easy on the flash.

39 mins ago, JRT said:

What he says ^^^

And easy on the flash.

They should be sparse enough to read a newspaper through it.

Herb

18 hours ago, HL said:

They should be sparse enough to read a newspaper through it.

Herb

Herb,  are there any good videos on tying sparse?  Most I see are pretty dense and it is something I feel I fight and still am not getting right.  I have seen pics of sparsely tied flies. is it as simple as just using less material, or are there specific techniques to thin but well formed flies?

Posted (edited)

Puppet

Just use less material. 

I don't use much artificial material.

Mostly bucktail and Yak.

You may have noticed that after flys are beat-up a bit they still catch fish - maybe better.

Herb

Edited by HL

Posted (edited)

Tying sparse flies is something I have problems with. HL is right: less material is the key which means less material in each clump tied to the hook (somebody wrote something to the effect that when you think you have just the right amount of material....  only take half of that). Also for a lot of flies where successive clumps of material  are tied on the hook shank (like a Hollow or a Bucktail Deceiver) you can leave more space between clumps or, once the tail is tied in, tie the first clump more to the front of the hook.

And HL is also right that beat-up flies catch fish. This is the modified Bart-O Minnow (I had tied two of these to try out and promptly lost one) with which I hooked about 35 stripers and it was still catching fish.

20200930_145145.jpg.22ee9a3383d2be91a9a4a31c275cdef7.jpg

And this is about its "before" look (although the beat-up one was on a smaller hook and no doubt smaller and this one is in a different color scheme.)

20211022_121735.jpg.da196ecaa619788fa890dbc18024f1ef.jpg

Edited by Suave
Omission

I like these flies … they’re like the old wool hair mullet I fish, but with synthetic material in the head section?

B4CBFA3F-0E2B-4C49-A039-DD68839493B8.jpeg.71348b0398e1982b91c10f339048a152.jpeg

On 4/22/2022 at 9:24 AM, RyanPost said:

Looking to fish back bays of the North Shore.... Which flies would you recommend? Looking into grass shrimp flies, clousers, and some decievers..... Anything else?

Surf Candy …. Don’t leave home without one!

43AA6540-94DC-417D-8588-8422ECF953A9.jpeg.37ab28853476582742732415e30b6600.jpeg

44 mins ago, KironaFly said:

I like these flies … they’re like the old wool hair mullet I fish, but with synthetic material in the head section?

B4CBFA3F-0E2B-4C49-A039-DD68839493B8.jpeg.71348b0398e1982b91c10f339048a152.jpeg

The body-head is made of SF Flash Blend. I've posted these in a few color schemes and detailed how they are tied in the still current thread "Striper flies for a friend" in the Fly Tying Forum.

A Ray's Fly will work in many conditions, and I generally have it on all spring.