chucky

Bonnie Craft cord

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Craft cord has become my most economical tying material.  Great for many patterns and using it in dubbing brushes too.. I treasure my more costly fibers from Mr. Puglisi and respect his market but Bonnie's craft cord is my new go to for many of those style flies. 

20220421_224756.jpg

it is actually a braided cord.  When you cut at about 12 inches length it is easy to unravel,  then you comb it out .  Check The Frugal fly Rodder or Tom Arnold on YouTube. 

Posted (edited)

Thank you , I always think they are too bulky. I am casting bigger flies because of bulkhead flies but I still like my flat wings and other sparse ties .

Edited by chucky
Spelling

1 hour ago, chucky said:

it is actually a braided cord.  When you cut at about 12 inches length it is easy to unravel,  then you comb it out .  Check The Frugal fly Rodder or Tom Arnold on YouTube. 

That is pretty good. I will try this.

Tie the fibers just like the name brand and you too will have a lifetime supply . They work well in dubbing brushes for bulkhead flies . Combined with craft fur the make great collar brushes . Alone in shorter lengths make head brushes the can be trimmed . Watched a lot of Gunner Brammer videos on Youtube .

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, FlyFisher75 said:

Nice looking ties will hunt!

The Craft Cord came out okay but for me it seems like a lot more work to get basically the same thing using wig hair synthetic.   

The wig hair is cheap.   

The following sample was one length of wig cut to 24"  and then cut up to 4 pcs at 12" of material. 

One length is only $4.99.  Why go through all this trouble? 

Additionally you can use a wig iron brush that can cause a brush with the ability to create a very frizzy type of wig material.   Quick and easy.   You can leave it smooth for making flies like Eel flies and you can also curl them up to very frizzy materials if you want to make EP type bait fish styles.   You can use any curl inbetween this sample by using the heat to lower heat settings.   Works great.

4 parts for $4.99 as smooth.   I think they have over 180 different colors of wig.

Sample of the wig where a sample made from smooth to the maximum frizzy curl very quickly.

Just my $.02

HT

wig.jpg.021251bc4afd1cb8077be7feb4609a49.jpg

wig1.jpg.2417378e4224f3539251122ec3ca89e8.jpg

Edited by HillTop

22 hours ago, HillTop said:

Additionally you can use a wig iron brush that can cause a brush with the ability to create a very frizzy type of wig material.

HillTop, can you give us some more detail about this process? Are you saying you can start with straight wig hair and make it frizzy? Thanks. 

Excellent,  especially the many colors available.  Thank you I will definitely give a try . Any brand you prefer? I have not found craft cord in olive, so this is a great alternative . 

Posted (edited)

On 4/25/2022 at 6:56 PM, smath said:

HillTop, can you give us some more detail about this process? Are you saying you can start with straight wig hair and make it frizzy? Thanks. 

smath, a little detail for you:

I've tried a couple of suppliers like Etsy, Amazon, Alibaba. etc.   The last material I ran about a year ago was a smooth straight wig material.  (I would have to look up the materials specifically later).    

To clarify I do start with Straight synthetic wig hair and then curl it up as needed for my flying design.  I don't know of anyone else who already does it like this that I've been able to find.   I find that by changing different heat on hair iron curl I can make the hair either very smooth or very fruzzy depending on my wig curls by changing the different irons temperatures.  It may be that most folks don't care what I'm planning on trying and that doesn't surprise me at all as I do a lot of weird related things just to amuse myself :)  (this is longer than I typically write due to my recent Aphasia so please bear with me).

Okay, not the best photos and explanatioin but I hope it gives you a look at my ideas.

Synthetic Wig hairs that are purchased with smooth wig material:  3 current samples of what I've purchased last year.

white_black_green.jpg.5e6cb5e2f5329f9c1351df991facea91.jpg

An idea of what I've turned from a smooth sample to one that I've made frezzy with a curled heat ironed.   Light curl at low heat and the largest curl at the high heat.   A copy of the curl shape and size I used for brush made wigs.

iron1.jpg.4abca5753ba1cc6ae351c730dba84247.jpg

Brush2.jpg.b03174b123ce9773d751a8d2814ddca6.jpg

Iron3.jpg.0d924d3c6cd58d56f77292bcfd904628.jpg

Effects of curling the smooth wig hair.

Black then curled black sample:

Smooth_Black.jpg.dabce7e8dc7fe0aaa06835dc6ee334f3.jpg

Curl_Black.jpg.d1201a4995df18e4c6bb0eb9be7e0cc5.jpg

Green, smooth and curled/freezy.

Curl_Green.jpg.9e91d6c4780436112661037f8bd32c7d.jpg

White, smooth and curl/freezy:

wig_straight_curled.jpg.9839af56b6438875976179f951875477.jpg

A sample of wig hair using as smooth flies, great for Eel type flies: (tube fly design option)

Eel_Fly_wig.jpg.e0120e4f0902fcf54181f6450371ee82.jpg

flies created from white curled/freezy wig material.  These were done on a brush fly with .008" thick stainless steel brush.

Brush1.jpg.07ea28d2c16413fea4b8fe1124b47045.jpgBrush3.jpg.e8504b547430d2605506b329211bc539.jpg

Though not a great example I just made a quick fly start with both a smooth straight wig hair as well as curled/freezy wig hair from the same piece of wig material.  Just by crimmping only a part of the wig material at the end,   Freezy/curled photed on shape on one side and then ending to a smooth section at the end of they fly.

Sorry if not a good option.  I shoulid have made one larger.   Just started playing and given options for a fly moving forward    Still much to explore while I think about options.  :) 

HT

smooth_curled.jpg.0c40f5aebe8137b7316059d4d0767943.jpg

Edited by HillTop

HillTop,

Thanks for the explanation, it's very clear. I think that kind of hair iron is called a crimping iron. I looked online and you can get them with several different types of heat plates, from a tight curl to a looser curl.

With the direction this thread is going, before long we'll be posting about lipsticks and mascaras (not that there's anything wrong with that).

S

On 4/24/2022 at 8:20 PM, HillTop said:

The Craft Cord came out okay but for me it seems like a lot more work to get basically the same thing using wig hair synthetic.   

The wig hair is cheap.   

The following sample was one length of wig cut to 24"  and then cut up to 4 pcs at 12" of material. 

One length is only $4.99.  Why go through all this trouble? 

Additionally you can use a wig iron brush that can cause a brush with the ability to create a very frizzy type of wig material.   Quick and easy.   You can leave it smooth for making flies like Eel flies and you can also curl them up to very frizzy materials if you want to make EP type bait fish styles.   You can use any curl inbetween this sample by using the heat to lower heat settings.   Works great.

4 parts for $4.99 as smooth.   I think they have over 180 different colors of wig.

Sample of the wig where a sample made from smooth to the maximum frizzy curl very quickly.

Just my $.02

HT

wig.jpg.021251bc4afd1cb8077be7feb4609a49.jpg

wig1.jpg.2417378e4224f3539251122ec3ca89e8.jpg

Very cool stuff!