dannyplug1

Sunfish swim bait

27 posts in this topic

Starting to get interested in swim baits.  I live in in ri and fish small ponds and lakes.  I think the forage in my area for big bass is bluegills and small panfish.  Need some recommendations in regard to bluegill swim baits.  Thanks charlie 

This chatterbait I made. The skirt is available at bass pro I also put them on spinnerbait. You can add almost any 4 inch paddle tail. I use the big bites cane thumper. I made a mold of the original and make them in watermelon with blue, red, pink and gold flake. Been killing the bass on them. 

IMG_20220325_160435240.jpg

Savage gear has a few options 3/4 and up to 3+ oz..

Jackall Gantarel is more refined.

S waver

I would like to try the power bait gilly fish

Bid swimbaits can mean big fish.  But......  they require patience and work.

You need to get used to the fact that you may get only young "suicidal" bass for a while before you can fool grandma lunker bass

You are trophy hunting with those large profile baits.   This means not only right time and place (low or no light and bad weather) but also lots of skunk trips.  The baits will catch the biggest bass but there is no instant gratification.  You will need to put in work for success

Tight lines and happy hunting.  Go get that 10lber!!!

I'm also in RI and I finally started getting results with the Daddy Mac jointed Sunfish.  I've done well on the Rainbows Trout S-waver in the smaller size.  A random bait I started catching on is the big Rapala Shad Rap in a Bluegill color. It's like 6-7 inches long, about 2 ounces. That bait will dive deep if you reel faster but I have been slow crawling it like a wake bait with some little tugs to get it to dive a few inches under.  Since most of the places I fish and weedy and snaggy and I hate losing pricey baits (who doesn't?!), I have gravitated towards fishing weed-less soft plastics.  The weed-less Huddleston Trout but in Perch color has been MONEY.  I've caught multiple fish in the 2-3 pound range, two 5 pounders, and a 6 pounder.  They are a painted soft plastic so I've lost a little paint but it's still fishable and I've just been using it after dark or places I might run into some Pickerel.  That's a pretty good life span for a soft plastic!  I use a lot of unrigged plastics like the Keitechs 6.8 and some other brands I got off Tackle Warehouse rigged on 8/0 or 10/0 Owner Beast hooks with and without the keel weight.  You definitely want a dedicated rod and reel for these bigger baits.  I fish a Dobyns Fury 795 and smaller Abu Ambassadeur spooled with heavy braid I believe I have 50lb on right now.  Plus about a rod length, give or take, of 20 or 30lb leader to have a little stretch and shock absorption.  I typically use a Blood knot but sometimes do a Uni-to-uni. I will also use that rod for light saltwater, too.  I watched a lot of the older Tactical Bassin' videos on Youtube and they are a great resource, although it seems they have gone more towards marketing baits and have been repeating themselves.  They still back up all their claims though and there's always new tidbits of info.  Their underwater footage is pretty remarkable, its very cool watching fish over 5 pounds chomp on these big baits!  

2 hours ago, GarbageFish said:

im always surprised how expensive some of these swimbaits are, even compared to wood plugs.

Make sure you bring your swim trunks, mask, and snorkel when throwing big baits!

Posted (edited) · Report post

These will get you going but they're a little pricy.

The Huddleston is soft.  The Shellcrackers are deadly (Blackdog baits)  You can find them on Swimbaitcity 

Image.jpeg

Edited by Beachbuster

I have a gorgeous one.  But it seems to be a fish repellent.  It has never been bit... not once.

As others have said - jackall Gantarel and the black dog baits shell cracker G2 are hard baits that get bit in the $30 to $50 range.  

Lanciotti Psycho gill is a killer wake bait but be prepared to pay way more than the $130 retail if u can find one. 

Also, as @Captain Ahab stated swimbaiting is a game of patience as you’re just typically looking for the biggest / most aggressive bass - when I go out if I get one shot at a quality fish I’m satisfied - it’s kind of like bow hunting for trophy deer. 

1st and 2nd pics are of some decent bass from NJ ponds on a lanciotti psycho gill wake bait - last pic is of a nj river smallie on a black dog baits G2 shell cracker. 

59C556DE-AB11-4D44-AACB-006215A04E69.jpeg

D2604206-8661-476C-82B9-EFA7A9D86DE4.jpeg

70E8CAED-530C-4A6D-8985-60DC2E4007C7.jpeg

9 hours ago, GarbageFish said:

im always surprised how expensive some of these swimbaits are, even compared to wood plugs.

Buddy of mine just sold this Illude Baits wood rat for $750 - trust me there’s more expensive baits out there.  Also, trust me I’m not throwing $750

740567A1-9161-4F6E-B418-D5CF59F997B2.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

13 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

Bid swimbaits can mean big fish.  But......  they require patience and work.

You need to get used to the fact that you may get only young "suicidal" bass for a while before you can fool grandma lunker bass

You are trophy hunting with those large profile baits.   This means not only right time and place (low or no light and bad weather) but also lots of skunk trips.  The baits will catch the biggest bass but there is no instant gratification.  You will need to put in work for success

Tight lines and happy hunting.  Go get that 10lber!!!

Agree with 90 % of what you stated but sometimes bright sun, blue bird skies and gin clear water are preferred - the fish can spot the giant baits from a long distance and if in the mood will track that bait down and sometimes they crush it and sometimes they just swim away from it. 

All of the baits are 10” to 12’ long and weigh 6 ounces and as u can see blue skies, clear and mostly calm water. 

First 2 pics of are my buddy who guides out of western NC - last pic is me. 

F9ED87D2-CC1F-4FC0-8D12-AE5AC18EA183.jpeg

E2963037-D2B0-46D9-BB8B-8F47E6211AE6.jpeg

21E85B91-229F-4C1F-822C-E2AEE591930C.jpeg

Edited by NewAtIt