A new serious tick related disease on the horizon

Rate this topic

bob_G

10 hours ago, z-man said:

If it kills ticks and cats than it can’t be too great for Humans either. It won’t kill us, just give cancer or some neurological problem. 
Meanwhile I’m in the process of getting the rabies shots because a rabid woodchuck attacked my dog. 
All the wildlife are trying to kill us. :laugh:

Exposure protection is key. Deet has pretty gnarly results when overused. 

I mistblow a fews thousand gallons of synthetic pyrethroid mix every year. IGR's , Synergists, and polymer surfactants. PPE is critical, but, harm to others is pretty much nil. Just don't lick leaves and lawns.

I'm more terrified of botanicals.  Those things are unregulated, and they will burn you're junk off if you aren't careful.

Edited by FEW3

15 hours ago, FEW3 said:

Exposure protection is key. Deet has pretty gnarly results when overused. 

I mistblow a fews thousand gallons of synthetic pyrethroid mix every year. IGR's , Synergists, and polymer surfactants. PPE is critical, but, harm to others is pretty much nil. Just don't lick leaves and lawns.

I'm more terrified of botanicals.  Those things are unregulated, and they will burn you're junk off if you aren't careful.

So the chemicals won’t kill you, they just make you post crazy things on the internet? :laugh:

On 5/5/2022 at 9:11 AM, sagamoron said:

Like most people, getting an appointment with my primary is always a challenge in terms of timing.  Whenever I find a tick emebedded, I bag it, and send it off to Umass to be tested.  On the way to the the Post Office I stop at a walk in clinic and every time they give me a round of antibiotics.  Never had any issues with them, never told to come back.  Just ask which pharmacy and I'm on my way.  Our healthcare is system is a mess but thats a thread for a different forum.

In terms of tick removal, the tick twister is best I've found, it will fit in your wallet and works great.Tick Twister Tick Remover Set Small Large

You get antibiotics without a diagnosis?

How many of the ticks you send out are positive for Lyme?

Bear in mind, the tick testing positive does not automatically mean you will.

If you can't get an appointment when you need one, you need a new doctor. I have never had that problem. 

I suddenly need a new doctor.  Mine just informed me on Thursday she's moving.    She hands me a list of doctors who are accepting new patients.  How the hell do you decide?  Post the list on a wall and throw a dart?

The Sultan of Sluggo

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

I suddenly need a new doctor.  Mine just informed me on Thursday she's moving.    She hands me a list of doctors who are accepting new patients.  How the hell do you decide?  Post the list on a wall and throw a dart?

This be your primary doctor?

For starters, there is a MA web site that list doctors who practice in MA.  There you will find basic background info about the doctor…..schooling, dates, certification ,etc. Check it out. 

8 mins ago, Joe G said:

This be your primary doctor?

For starters, there is a MA web site that list doctors who practice in MA.  There you will find basic background info about the doctor…..schooling, dates, certification ,etc. Check it out. 

Thank you Joe.

The Sultan of Sluggo

Something else I’ve learned is the invasive Japanese Barberry bush creates a really nice overwintering habitat for ticks. Remove those from your property if you have any, my close friend had a bunch and found ticks on her kids constantly. She’s removed the bushes, bought chickens, and uses permethrin and boom no more ticks!

3 hours ago, bob_G said:

Same here. Mine is retiring. It seems the only docs accepting new patients are either recent grads or suck. 

35 mins ago, GTs_and_Stripers said:

Something else I’ve learned is the invasive Japanese Barberry bush creates a really nice overwintering habitat for ticks. Remove those from your property if you have any, my close friend had a bunch and found ticks on her kids constantly. She’s removed the bushes, bought chickens, and uses permethrin and boom no more ticks!

What do the ticks like about those plants?

5 mins ago, z-man said:

What do the ticks like about those plants?

From what I've read, it's actually a few factors. First is it creates a densely foliated habitat that is very humid and protected, something ticks like in the winter (they can't survive below 80% humidity for long periods of time). The bushes also create a nice habitat for the mice that ticks infect. Deer also won't eat this bush, but will eat surrounding plants allowing the invasive bushes to spread. On top of this the Barberry will change soil chemistry to discourage native plants from retaking the area.

This study found that the more Japanese Barberry there was on a plot, the more Lyme-carrying ticks there were. 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22182557/

Ticks are such a concern since I moved to MA. Back in OH I spent every day running around the woods and never found a single one on me. Here in MA I had a tick on me in February! It's craziness

Our old Dr retired several years ago.  We thought the world of him. Nice guy, great physician.  However, he had a blind spot when it came to Lyme and tick related diseases.

He realized ticks transmit diseases, but he felt it was way over diagnosed. Most cases were something else, mimicking a tick related disease. Were probably something else, and the Dr was too lazy to investigate.

He used to get annoyed when I'd insist on being tested yearly. Even though I told him I get upwards of 15 embedded ticks yearly.

The Sultan of Sluggo

On 5/7/2022 at 0:55 PM, bob_G said:

He used to get annoyed when I'd insist on being tested yearly. Even though I told him I get upwards of 15 embedded ticks yearly.

Bob, keep a track of this new development.  It may be just what you need. 

5/11/22 Boston Herald, page 10......

A Lyme-stopping shot is in the works at UMass. Developed and being tested by MassBiologics of the UMass Chan Medical School.  

Called Lyme PrEP.  

Not a vaccine.  It prevents infection by delivering a single, anti-Lyme antibody, or blood protein, directly to people rather than triggering their own immune system to make antibodies, as vaccines do.

Clinical trials now being conducted in Nebraska.  More tests will follow.  If approved by FDA, it would be a once-a-year shot.  Could be licensed and available to the public in 2024.