A new serious tick related disease on the horizon

Rate this topic

bob_G

I have been ill for several months , twice to the ER in the last week. It took a 30 year old doctor from Beth Isreal hospital to test me for tick illness and bingo i have  babeosis. I asked my primary care doctor to test me months ago and did blood work thinking she had tested me but after researching my test i found out she never had me tested.to make things worse she quit the practice. I just started meds, hopefully i feel better soon.

4 mins ago, FizzyFish said:

Something really wrong not getting test results.

I get all my test results from Southcoast Health as soon as they are completed and logged in, some times even before my Dr, has seen them.

unfortunately since covid times my doctors office has had a mass excite of staff and doctors.I use to get my results in an email within a week.

3 hours ago, hotfishgirl said:

I have been ill for several months , twice to the ER in the last week. It took a 30 year old doctor from Beth Isreal hospital to test me for tick illness and bingo i have  babeosis. I asked my primary care doctor to test me months ago and did blood work thinking she had tested me but after researching my test i found out she never had me tested.to make things worse she quit the practice. I just started meds, hopefully i feel better soon.

I googled that babeosis. Sounds like you better take care of yourself. Nasty stuff feel well soon Jessica!

I found a bullseye on myself last year, no tick but the mark was clear as day, called the doctor and they said to reach out again if I had symptoms. Still feeling fine so I guess it was nothing but I was shocked that they did not take it more seriously. The fishing I do in the spring necessitates a thorough check after every outing and I normally pull dozens off of myself each time out, deer and dog ticks, mostly off my jeans and sweatshirt but I do occasionally find them starting to attach. Nasty and really scary but honestly I don't want to give up bushwhacking into small streams for wild trout. I guess it just comes with the territory but I can't help but think that its only a matter of time until I get a bad bite...

11 mins ago, EarningStripes207 said:

I found a bullseye on myself last year, no tick but the mark was clear as day, called the doctor and they said to reach out again if I had symptoms. Still feeling fine so I guess it was nothing but I was shocked that they did not take it more seriously. The fishing I do in the spring necessitates a thorough check after every outing and I normally pull dozens off of myself each time out, deer and dog ticks, mostly off my jeans and sweatshirt but I do occasionally find them starting to attach. Nasty and really scary but honestly I don't want to give up bushwhacking into small streams for wild trout. I guess it just comes with the territory but I can't help but think that its only a matter of time until I get a bad bite...

The docs still should have put you on antibiotics. Lyme can be in your system for years before causing problems. Docs push pills and meds for everything but for some reason don’t want to prescribe a basic 2 week dose of doxy to prevent Lyme. It makes no sense. There must be no money in it. 

On 4/21/2022 at 8:08 PM, Running Ape said:

There are so many deer/ixodes ticks in my yard that I am making tick tubes with cotton and Permethrin on Saturday. Supposedly this is effective in reducing numbers as mice take the cotton into their nests killing the nymphs.

Thats a good idea!  Thanks

11 hours ago, hotfishgirl said:

Best wishes.  

7 hours ago, night owl said:

I dunno what you guys use but I personally keep these tweezers on my keyring. They work great. Small, strong, and light. They have a nice and strong point to really get in there if you need to. It's called Uncle Bill's Silver Gripper. Thought I'd pass this along.

49607-01-1000.jpg

Great idea!   Thanks!

12 hours ago, hotfishgirl said:

Best of luck. Tick diseases suck. I had my own round with anaplasmosis 6 years ago which landed me in the hospital for 4 days of iv antibiotics. Its no joke. Luckily no lasting effects.

Pfantum Pfishah

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2022 at 11:40 PM, Shhh....Now said:

a quote from CDC

Reduce your risk of infection from Powassan virus by avoiding ticks.

When will they post their warning about asteroid strikes where they tell you to move out of the way of a falling space rock?

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Ticks are insane. I have noticed such a large increase in the past couple of years.

I went out with a couple of friends some weeks ago to go fishing and hiking, every couple of hours we would stop and find 5+ ticks on ourselves. 

Last weekend I went camping with my friends in boy scouts, and we all had ticks at one point.

Today I put on my shirt to go work at market basket, I hadn't touched it in a week, and there was a tick on it! I am not even safe in my own home from ticks. It's crazy.  I have heard that duct tape around ankles and wrists can help stick and trap ticks. Its crazy.

anyone have any fun methods of killing ticks?