New to kayak fishing organize tackle

Hi last year was really my first year kayak fishing for fluke. I got a older petal drive kayak in fall. I would like to go out for blue fish and stripers this year with it. How do you guys organize your tackle. There’s limited space that’s within reach and no room under the seat of my yak. I normally surf fish and I don’t see my surf bag being a great option. 

Most guys use some sort of crate system. Can be a simple milk crate. I bring two medium size plano boxes, one with jigs/jigheads/bucktails/hooks and the other with lures and a ziploc bag with pretied leaders (in individual ziploc bags), and another ziploc back full of soft plastics.

Usually keep the tackle boxes in front of me on the two side rails. Every kayak is different so you have to play around with what works for you. I try to minimize having to reach behind me while not cluttering my deck too much. 

Here's a fairly typical setup with a crate that has PVC holders attached. I found the sealed Planos a huge PITA because the gasket was always falling out. I also put a buoy of pool noodle on them, I once lost one overboard fumbling it putting it back in the crate.

596ee6d5ab34c_ADAMKAYAKBLUE.PNG.85bec9fe183e0d53cdc7693948f447b1.PNG

This is my setup from last year. I use arts and craft marker boxes to hold different colors/styles of plugs and save 1 for holding knife, leaders, hooks. I put jigs/hogys in a pouch that I kept in the milk crate or inside the kayak.

This year I upgraded to a 15' version of the kayak instead of this 13'. The previous owner modded a Hobie latch with a bucket which'll either be for eels or jigs depending on the trip. Plan to use the same marker box storage for plugs and terminal gear. Forces me to be selective about what I bring and not overpack. 

kayak.jpeg.21c5838a540229fb5c4a3d57bb20bc04.jpeg

Keep it light. A lot of the stuff you're going to see on YouTube are bass guys that being every single piece of tackle with them on the kayak every time they go out. 

Doesnt matter if im striper, flounder or in the marshes for reds and trout I have no more than 2-3 3600 planos. And a large ziploc with my soft plastics or a gulp container. I usually don't keep stuff behind me except for rods and stuff I probably won't use because I like to limit how much I turn around. A crate with 3 rod holders should be good to go. 

FWIW, I've been playing this game for awhile.  When I first started out, I looked like the traveling road show for Cabelas.  My Hobie Revo was loaded.  I had the typical milk crate packed full of anything and everything I could possibly need.  Four or five larger planoi trays with everything from jigs to top water, a couple of smaller ones for terminal tackle.   If there was the slightest chance I might need it, I took it.   Over time that has changed.

Now, for stripers or blues I take one large tray!  Thats it.   Two or three top water, and a couple of divers, a jig or two,  One or two bait rigs if there is a chance for pogies to be around. The tray is behind my seat.   Instead of 4 or 5 rods, now its 3 max.  One with a tube and worm, one rigged with something to throw.  Maybe another with a bait rig. 

For albies, the center hatch is all I need.  Epoxies and other like stuff.  No tray at all!   Three rods. Each rigged with a different lure.

My advice, keep it as simple as possible.  Good luck and have fun

Newport (2).jpg

Albie2020 (2).jpg

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

I’ve a large Plano with a representation of lures I might use cos sometimes you under think. That goes on the bottom of the rectangular hatch, on top I have a small box with lures I’m likely to use, extra leader, scissors, cigarettes, hook sharpener in a small belly bag. Gulp and popping cork in the front hatch, though I seldom use them… but sometimes.

three rods, ML, M, and MH with 20, 30, 40 lbs leaders and lures I want to start with, often the lures I uses all day.

big cooler in the back for keeper fish with ice packs and water.

I’m on  a compass 

Everything goes in the crate - one Plano box with a variety of soft plastics, one small box with terminal tackle, a small Tupperware with an extra tube and some pre-rigged leaders.

The paddle leash (I still paddle, stubbornly), rod holder, pliers and lip grips come out when I rig up.  Not taking too much as pointed out by a few vets above, is key.   

I carry 3 rods max.  T/W rig, another for casting plastics and if bottom fishing, I’ll carry one rigged for that.  

Safety equip - whistle, knife, radio are all on the jacket. Flag on a mast goes in pvc holder on the crate. 

Bug spray and sunscreen and essential.

Fishbag strapped on too 

CE9CEA1E-761A-4C31-90D1-67818F44AACD.jpeg

Edited by Northshore Bob