Capefox

Slammer III drag/sandspike

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

A lot of Slammer III reels on on clearance now so I got an 8500 for $240. I intend to use it for 6 ft sharks and bull drums with a sand spike. The minimum drag seems to be about 3 lbs - will this pull the spike down?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Probably depends on the spike.  I use 4’ aluminum angle spikes so we can bury pretty secure.  The tiny red ones with short metal spike maybe not so

much.  I have used the 4500 in a spike and been ok with the drag all the way backed off.  Might have to jump on one of these close outs.  

Edited by dj1975232

9 hours ago, Capefox said:

A lot of Slammer III reels on on clearance now so I got an 8500 for $240. I intend to use it for 6 ft sharks and bull drums with a sand spike. The minimum drag seems to be about 3 lbs - will this pull the spike down?

I have no experience with bait fishing for sharks and drum but I do take my chunking seriously. A very high quality spike is a great investment imo. 3 lbs of drag would not concern me. 

11 hours ago, pakalolo said:

Hold it !! No spikes , that’s just fecking lazy:ginzo:

Lazy is good. It's not practical to hold two or more surf rods for eight hours. 

3 hours ago, tristate said:

Don’t let Bob The Garbageman hear you use a spike, he will cut youse line. Remember the chunk is just a vehicle for the anise.

His father didn't go to war so people could use yo zurehs

Well it doesn't sound like there's an easy way around the stiff min. drag issue on the Slammer III 8500 so I took it back to the store and paid the extra $110 for the Slammer IV. The IV fixes that drag issue and has better seals. I'll probably find some excuse to buy a Saragosa someday too. Tackle acquisition is a disease. 

i didnt know minimum drag was an issue...

cast out, turn back drag until you can hand peel off, yet tight enough to hold line in current and wave action.

theres was a science behind it?  LOL

never had a rod get pulled out a spike with a loosen drag either...

unless yall using twigs as spikes, i dont know what im talking about then. haha

Edited by EricL

20 hours ago, Capefox said:

check out the Carolina cast pro otw spike.  sounds like you need a spike you can trust   buy a pair

2 mins ago, bronson said:

check out the Carolina cast pro otw spike.  sounds like you need a spike you can trust   buy a pair

Thanks, right now I'm using those ones from Bass Pro with the thin aluminum 4' posts and green/red/blue plastic tops. Not bad but not great either. 

I make these at home.  Some PVC scrap, stainless hardware and 48" x 1.5" x 1.5" x 1/8" aluminum angle.  Take 15-20 mins per and comes out to about $15 a piece minus labor.  Also use some reflective tape near the top to avoid running into them on moonless nights. 

IMG_1097.jpg

Edited by dj1975232