Why is it so Windy?

Rate this topic

z-man

4 mins ago, foxfai said:

It's isn't just the past month, it's been a few years that's been like this. I've fished about 25 years or so in MA and the past few years has been crazy.

I'll take your word for it.

I've fished Ma the past 45 years and I didn't notice any difference until just the past 4 - 6 weeks.

I don't recall it being such a topic of conversation in the past either. Recently everyone has been talking about. Not just fisherpeople. It's been on TV. People that rarely venture beyond their own backyard are talking about it. And my friend the farmer who is older than me mentioned it this week.

Which is not to day I'm discounting the possibility the wind has increased in a larger time frame, just pointing out that in the past month it's been particularly noticeable. 

On 4/22/2022 at 5:37 PM, rst3 said:

Sometimes that type of wind in Spring (breezy by day, dies after sunset) is caused by daytime heating..with a chilly and windy layer just overhead in the atmosphere. The strong spring sun heats the air along the surface, which rises quickly into the chilly layer. Clouds bubble up and often dump a spot shower.

Once the sun sets, surface heating ends so convection gets shut off and the wind typically dies. Clouds and any spot showers also quickly evaporate. 

This was predicted 5 years ago, & I believe last winter was the start of 20 years of freezing cold & wind in the North East.

And for you that think sun spots & solar flares are a 'tin foil' joke....you need to educate yourselves.

And lets not forget the elderly couple in Worcester that froze to death in their home last winter, who couldn't afford the new administrations insidious oil prices.

(you can always count on screwballs to make things worse)

"The Further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

This is a great thread!

In the last five years I have observed more wind damage to trees and more often than in the last 30 years.

The wind gusts seem higher…I notice them while working aloft. 

Also, the storm winds have had higher gusts on average than anything I have experienced working outdoors. For example, we’ve had multiple NE wind storms that have exceeded 90 MPH! 
(the storm emergencies have been insane at times). 

In the past (more than five years ago)we had only experienced 90+ mph winds when a hurricane or tropical storm hit us. 

Last Monday night into Tuesday we had gusts as high as 75 mph in barnstable. 

I know that it is traditionally windy in March and April but I do not agree that wind gusts this high are normal for this time of year or any other time for that matter. 

I’d like to hear more input and observations from others who work outside and have to deal with wind related problems as part of their jobs. 
Roofers, builders, coast guard, commercial fisherman, emergency personnel etc..

Edited by west tide

4 hours ago, hotfishgirl said:

who worry's??? Its called bitchin..We will all do the same thing when it gets hot. 

I also throw metals.

People in general.  My MIL for example.   Glued to the weather channel.   

Yeah, I guess bitchin is a good phrase for it.   I'm not one to complain.  It's hot, it's hot.  I deal with it. 

1 hour ago, bb1 said:

And lets not forget the elderly couple in Worcester that froze to death in their home last winter, who couldn't afford the new administrations insidious oil prices.

So your claim here is a couple died because of Biden? Seriously? 

Do you mean the eccentric, reclusive parents of the actress whose furnace was broken?

The couple who was not even poor, just odd and refused offers of help to fix the furnace?

Come on, be better. That kind of junk works great in the PG where Nobody is interested in the facts. Take it there. You'll be a hero.

From the daughter of the couple who died;

"My parents weren't penniless, they were fiercely stubborn': Walking Dead star Alicia Witt breaks her silence after her parents were found dead of hypothermia and reveals they refused help and hadn't let her inside their home for 'over a decade"

1 hour ago, mikez2 said:

Do you mean the eccentric, reclusive parents of the actress whose furnace was broken?

The couple who was not even poor, just odd and refused offers of help to fix the furnace?

Come on, be better. That kind of junk works great in the PG where Nobody is interested in the facts. Take it there. You'll be a hero.

"My parents weren't penniless, they were fiercely stubborn': Walking Dead star Alicia Witt breaks her silence after her parents were found dead of hypothermia and reveals they refused help and hadn't let her inside their home for 'over a decade"

I would say that they were plain NUTS.

8 hours ago, mikez2 said:

Sounds like a couple of idiots. Even if they were broke they could have gotten heating oil assistance. There are a bunch of programs which help out in this state. 

5 mins ago, z-man said:

Sounds like a couple of idiots. Even if they were broke they could have gotten heating oil assistance. There are a bunch of programs which help out in this state. 

I think they were, umm...different. 

They supposedly wouldn't allow their own daughter into their house. They refused help with a broken furnace. I think maybe they weren't making good decisions with clear heads. Maybe dementia, maybe some form of mental illness, maybe just odd.

One thing seems apparent; it's absolutely ridiculous to claim they died because of the federal government's energy policies. 

My fault - I bought a boat last year.

"A GAMEFISH (which striped bass should be) Is too valuable to be caught only once"...Lee Wulff

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty" - Thomas Jefferson

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help." Most dangerous words in the English language...Ronald Reagan

I have the fresh water fishing bug bad this year. I went back to my spot at 4 pm and the wind was still blowing and very very cold. I decided to make 6 cast with metal and then head back to the house but  on the third cast i had a bump,4th cast was a fish,6th cast was a fish,7th cast was a fish and this went on until i caught 27 fish. Less then 45 minutes time. Then like someone turned off a switch it was over. 

So Yes windy windy and very cold but when i was catching all those fish it just did not matter.