z-man

Why is it so Windy?

Rate this topic

234 posts in this topic

27 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

Gotta do a better job of directing them to a neighbors yard.  

My neighbors do a terrible job cleaning their yards and all this wind seems to blow most of their leaves my direction. 

9 mins ago, z-man said:

My neighbors do a terrible job cleaning their yards and all this wind seems to blow most of their leaves my direction. 

Your neighbors sound like smart people.

I’m not a scientist, but I’m pretty sure that as climate change occurs there will be less difference in water temperatures which will in turn decrease’s the amount of wind. I could be wrong and I’m not doubting the existence of climate change.

35 mins ago, bob_G said:

Your neighbors sound like smart people.

I wish the wind would change directions so I could return the favor. :)

19 hours ago, Gotcow? said:

Climate change?

The question, is it natural or human influenced?

It's probably the predicted beginning that for the next 20 years the North East is going to have very cold & windy weather....because of sun spot activity.

As the sun has about 1000% more effect on climate, than anything here on earth.

7 mins ago, bb1 said:

It's probably the predicted beginning that for the next 20 years the North East is going to have very cold & windy weather....because of sun spot activity.

I hope not.  I think I misplaced my tin foil hat. :hippie:

10 hours ago, bb1 said:

If planet spins slower, every day and night is longer. The temperature difference increases. The temperature difference creates weather systems. The potentials being increased creates wilder weather patterns.

1 hour ago, Dave588 said:

If planet spins slower, every day and night is longer. The temperature difference increases. The temperature difference creates weather systems. The potentials being increased creates wilder weather patterns.

Once the planet slows down enough for us to have 25 hours in a day, we can work longer by day and fish longer at night. Win win!

Cpl thoughts.

March tends to be the windiest month of the year here in New England. Some years, winter-like atmospheric patterns persist over North America through April. That's largely what's been going on, imo, and this setup has driven some of the windy weather we've had recently.

Back in March, the Polar Vortex had a fairly strong end-of-season disruption. Sometimes these disruptions promote colder than average weather across parts of North America and Europe. That appears to be the case this go-around, as much colder than average weather dipped deep into central US this month

20220420_221802.jpg.b925368ced15dbbe55810b300fc2ff7b.jpg

Along with colder conditions came increased risk for storm formation. The result has been several large cyclones, and a very active jet stream overhead. Here on the ground, that means wind. Especially for us on the warm side of these storms, as we get the warm southerly jet to start, then backside of cold NW winds afterwards 

Big dip in jet stream

20220420_222437.jpg.061c21e5065307f05630d7f973c95cb8.jpg

Powerful low, central US

Screenshot_20220420-224258_Twitter.jpg.6d4ff13d7372c37d1e0d664a4b2c6eeb.jpg

Cold anomaly 17th-21st

20220420_222134.jpg.3e845b379f12e65e5f0687a2db77a8de.jpg

April Noreaster snows, NYS

20220420_221544.jpg.362d8c09fbaf3dbc44d324d597555dff.jpg

So: what's in store for the rest of the month?

Welp..does not look like an overly warm signal. Will likely be brief warm-ups followed by mostly ave/cool conditions. My guess is the 2nd half of the month will end up less windy than 1st half though

20220420_222327.jpg.c7525dfef700b81a2a1141d7cbf9c936.jpg

20220420_222244.jpg.16f8bafb957dd1d9507e7ec133cd2e6c.jpg

13 hours ago, Dave588 said:

On TV yesterday (Story Channel) the scientists were saying because of dams/reservoirs, mostly in the Northern Hemisphere, it has slowed the rotation of the planet (& tilted its axes a but too).

But I still think the female scientist from Russia has it right with the sun spots.  :)

(& remember, you always have to believe a female....or your a bigot)

16 mins ago, bb1 said:

On TV yesterday (Story Channel) the scientists were saying because of dams/reservoirs, mostly in the Northern Hemisphere, it has slowed the rotation of the planet (& tilted its axes a but too).

But I still think the female scientist from Russia has it right with the sun spots.  :)

(& remember, you always have to believe a female....or your a bigot)

Especially foreign weather girls