z-man

Why is it so Windy?

Rate this topic

234 posts in this topic

It seems like every spring is more windy than the last. Everyday seems to be blowing 20+ lately. It’s making outdoor activities pretty miserable/impossible. Is this a climate change thing?

6 mins ago, z-man said:

It seems like every spring is more windy than the last. Everyday seems to be blowing 20+ lately. It’s making outdoor activities pretty miserable/impossible. Is this a climate change thing?

Tornadoes in the SouthEast, snow in Texas and the crazy sunsets every day.     

10 mins ago, z-man said:

Z,

It's gotta be a climate change deal. 

I've lived here since '79, and it seems the wind gets worse each year. Esp the last three.  

Years ago, I'd be fly fishing midge hatches by now, but how can you fly cast into a 30mph wind?

BTW, the wind was blowing so hard last night, it blew my back door open! The door was locked, and the crazy wind we had last night blew it open. 

42 mins ago, z-man said:

Why is it so windy?

The relative strength and proximity and pressure differential of high and low pressure systems to one another.

15 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

Why is it so windy?

The relative strength and proximity and pressure differential of high and low pressure systems to one another.

I guess the next question is, why are there more high and low pressure systems than ever before then?

51 mins ago, bob_G said:

BTW, the wind was blowing so hard last night, it blew my back door open! The door was locked, and the crazy wind we had last night blew it open. 

A little while ago I watched my bbq, on our south facing back deck, go rolling by my sliding glass door as the wind pushed the grill the length of our deck.  :) 

7 mins ago, z-man said:

I guess the next question is, why are there more high and low pressure systems than ever before then?

Climate change?

The question, is it natural or human influenced?

3 mins ago, zak-striper said:

A little while ago I watched my bbq, on our south facing back deck, go rolling by my sliding glass door as the wind pushed the grill the length of our deck.  :) 

Door dash?

We got hail back to back weekends here in Malden. Now there is a 35+ Mph wind storm blowing while in NH/VT getting snow in APRIL!

Something is up.

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Happened to my back storm door once, swung open and the handle smashed the window next to it.

It sure has been unusually windy recently. It was brutal at the res yesterday. It was warm and sunny and calm when we arrived. I uncharacteristically left my hooded sweatshirt in the car. Normally I'm the guy busting my kids' balls about not being prepared. We walked 100 miles from the car only to find I needed my hoody to avoid freezing my ears off in the wind. No going back to the car for it. We tried to move around to get away from the wind but it followed us everywhere. 

I have no idea what causes these kinds of weather trends but I don't think a trend of a few weeks can be blamed on climate change. Just one of those things. But I'm not a weatherman, or climatologist, or even very smaht.