Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimS

Loop knot pictures

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

loop_1.jpg

loop_2.jpg

Look closely - is this how you tie a non-slip loop knot? It's my favorite knot...except the pictures do one step differently than I do. I'm wondering how many people tie it exactly like the pictures.

TimS

Ditto Gad

seems the illustration is a uni ahead of the loop where I wind up the standing line then bring the tag back through the loop to tie a clinch

[This message has been edited by Plug (edited 04-17-2003).]

Tim -

I am partial to the perfection loop real simple just two overhand knots. biggrin.gif

edit

This perfection loop has 80% knot strength more than enough in any situation

[This message has been edited by MarcusH (edited 04-17-2003).]

I just did 4 tests, 2 times the uni style was stronger, 2 times the clinch was stronger

hmmm. more testing

I'm always looking for a better loop knot

The last step in that diagram is obviously missing. If you make those three turns and then pull, yer gonna have an overhand knot and a curly tag end!

This perfection loop has 80% knot strength more than enough in any situation

Maybe not. Sometimes trout can be VERY line shy. I might go as light as 10# leader with aloop knot to a jig.

Also I use the leader to pull some fair sized fish up on the jetty. I need that knot to be as strong as possible. Unless your designing your rig to break at the knot ie. to keep from totally reriggging when fishing jigs in knarly places you want the strongest knot possible.

Marcus I think you are confusing the perfection loop with a Homer Rhode loop knot.

I like the non-slip mono loop. But I tie it like a clinch knot not like the one in the picture.

They way I do it is when I come thru the overhand knot I go around the main line towards the rod tip 4 or 5 times then I reenter the overhand loop ON THE SAME SIDE that it originally exited.

Hmmm...very interestingsmile.gif

I've found with lighter lines, I get more knot strength by first entering the overhand knot from the same side the line exited the overhand knot. In the first picture, the line enters the overhand knot from the opposite side the line exited the overhand knot.

Otherwise, I tie it exactly as shown - and if you snug it up just like the picture shows, it will tighten up properly...I like to gently tighten the overhand knot before tightening the whole knot.

It's really a Uni-knot jammed up against an overhand knot as shown in the pictures. There's a number of other ways the same thing can be accomplished.

The weakness of this knot is the overhand knot - I wonder if going through twice while making the overhand knot would add some strength? It should give the overhand knot some additional protection from cutting into itself. Plug - you wanna try that? Lemme know smile.gif If it's stronger, we'll call it the "plug knot" wink.gif

TimS

this so soon after I tried to describe how to tie a bimini... i'll need an extra dose of medicine..

i believe that what i do differently than the picture is that i stick the tag end a little further down... not in the overhand knot thingie but in the little spot right above that knot where it makes the hole from crossing over.. does that make sense? looks like the picture goes right above that.

now i'm confoosled. biggrin.gif