johnbull

Rod storage in pick ups

32 posts in this topic

Just got a better beach vehicle.  '13 Ram 1500 with the hemi.  On my previous car (SUV) I had PVC pipes that I strapped to the roof racks on the top for the 5-7 hour trip to my happy place.  The truck has a tool box and a 6'4" bed.  What do y'all do for transportation getting to and from the beach?  Still use the PVC pips and have them from the top of the box to the top of the tailgate?  DIY set up for them to lay in the bed broken down in two pieces with the rod butts sliding under the tool box?

I've got a short bed Frontier with cap and don't drive as far, so little different logistics 

But I either use ski rack (no jigs or weights to bang on blank)

Or Break rods down to 2 pc in cab or in tubes in bed 

But the 70/30 split 11ft rods are tight and my 1pcs won't fit in cab or bed

So I'll open read slider of truck cab and front slider of cap and run them through horizontally 

Your pvc tubes probably how I'd go too if driving as far

If you had them on the roof rack of the previous vehicle, why not just get a roof rack for the truck?

As said above, roof mounting works well. If a roof rack is an option, yakima makes a good ski rack type of carrier that works well for rods. A buddy has one and is very happy with it.

The ski rack is hard to beat. They’re padded so they won’t scratch your rods up, they lock, and you still have relatively fast access when you want them. I put mine on a bed rack

Don't know if it would work for you but on my '21 Taco I have 2 1x3s that fit into the bed rails. A pool noodle cut in half length wise is hot glued to each piece. Rods ride on top of the pool noodle high enough to extend over tail gate (My 12' 2 piece just goes past the tail gate). Gear ties hold them in place.

Posted (edited)

I use a porta rod in the bed of my truck.

portarod.jpg.30b25731b54ab3afb7d6a56bed3cfc0b.jpg

That's a stock pic not mine

Edited by Big Biscuit

37 mins ago, Big Biscuit said:

I use a porta rod in the bed of my truck.

portarod.jpg.30b25731b54ab3afb7d6a56bed3cfc0b.jpg

That's a stock pic not mine

Porta rods decent but you'll need to buy an additional tension bar to counter the weight of the rods at least I needed it for my surf rods 

3 hours ago, Midnightpass said:

What are your rod lengths?... Broken down lengths?..

Butch

About 6’ for most, one is 7’ one piece.

3 hours ago, Frank2104 said:

Don't know if it would work for you but on my '21 Taco I have 2 1x3s that fit into the bed rails. A pool noodle cut in half length wise is hot glued to each piece. Rods ride on top of the pool noodle high enough to extend over tail gate (My 12' 2 piece just goes past the tail gate). Gear ties hold them in place.

Can you post a picture of this?

3 hours ago, johnbull said:

I thought I had a picture but can't find it. I am thinking I may drive down to Fenwick tomorrow. If I do I'll take a pic when its all loaded up. One of the nice things about the set up is that I just pop it in and out as needed.

19 hours ago, johnbull said:

Here’s my setup. I’m gonna add more noodle so I can run my 7’ one piece diagonal. 

14BA829B-D9ED-4333-9296-CD4C5E34AEB3.jpeg

57BB767D-BF9C-4FD3-98AF-A75D32B4E94D.jpeg

DD373EB5-A9AE-4BA2-906A-D96F4180CE3F.jpeg

401BA250-A38F-4525-A5F8-C872A7A74966.jpeg

Roof racks are probably the easiest and best bet. 

I personally find them to be a pita to leave racks on all the time, especially as I'm in the City. So I currently in the process of making a DIY rack that will work under my tonneau cover and I can leave in place full time. I'm sure you could do something similar even with a toolbox. I saw this online on a different forum then found more photos from other truck forums where people did similar and have much heavier offshore gear so I'm confident in my shore tackle being fine. 

Still not done, but hopefully i have some spare time this weekend to wrap up haha. the natural wood is my in progress one, I am adding 4 more to the top plank, and it will be secured to my tonneau cover siderails. Second pic is where I got the inspiration. All in I am around $80 (damn cost of wood and stainless steel fasteners). 

20220406_195511.jpg

38b931a4abcccea932fb4542f06f0c5d.jpg