Jacks

The Season- A rundown 2022

Rate this topic

199 posts in this topic

Stopped at a popular spot on the way home from work this morning, figured it’d be quiet in the rain. Beautiful bluefish in the 8-15lb range just sitting dead in the grass and trash everywhere. What a shame to see them dead not even being used for food. 

1 min ago, BrianC86 said:

Stopped at a popular spot on the way home from work this morning, figured it’d be quiet in the rain. Beautiful bluefish in the 8-15lb range just sitting dead in the grass and trash everywhere. What a shame to see them dead not even being used for food. 

What a shame. No respect for these fish

See stripers like that on my home lake, sometimes its the oxygen, but many times they put them in the box, and then decide not to clean them.  wasteful 

On a better note I broke out the fly rod for the first time this year yesterday. Good thing it was sw at 25. Impossible to cast but had one 13lb blue. Bass are no where to be seen

Struck out for the 3rd time, though I’m mainly just looking for any fluke around. Considering going out tonight, any tips..?

47 mins ago, justtrynafish said:

Struck out for the 3rd time, though I’m mainly just looking for any fluke around. Considering going out tonight, any tips..?

Find the magical bunker. That's what everyone is catching them on. I can't find them tho

I’ve fished nearly every day since that storm and subsequent NE wind from hell the other week, and haven’t caught a single thing here in the Bronx (only sign of life this entire period was one bass that spit the hook). I’ve heard from local WOM that guys are catching porgy from shore, so I’ve been setting up bottom rigs for porgy/fluke while I fish around on the other rod. Nothing, nada, zilch. That NE blow just completely screwed the bass bite, which hasn’t recovered here, but nothing else seems to have moved in either. No bunker, no bait, so I don’t expect to see any bass or blues until that happens. Anyone out there catching, God Bless ya, because the picture is absolutely dismal where I’m at.

While I came up empty handed, my buddy next to me did alright last night. A few slot bass and a nice big blue between plugs and live-lined bunker. 

This morning got 2 shorts on poppers and raised 3 others. Switched to a bucktail got 7 more. Nothing over 26”.

Still no signs of bait for me.

I had an epiphany on the water this morning. I stink at this hobby, but still find it to be good for me. Casting into crashing waves as the sun rises is the ultimate escape from reality. Every so often a Striped Bass finds my plug, but either way I feel present. 

Anyway, I worked about a mile of central SS beach this AM with no luck. Few other guys out — I didn’t see them doing much either. Started to get crowded once the fog lifted. 

Day 15 of the Endless Skunk, the longest continuous stretch I’ve ever gone without catching a fish of any species. Fished every level of the water column with every style, presentation, and retrieve speed while also soaking squid strips on the bottom, from around high water until after dark. Only sign of multicellular life in there were the spawning horseshoe crabs, until I got a half-hearted blow up on a Tsunami pencil popper at sunset in ~2’ of water. After dark, I heard a number of splashes farther out (maybe a sign that there are actually bunker here) and cast out repeatedly with topwaters and my chicken scratch hydro-minnow, to no avail. At this point, I’ll be overjoyed to catch my first robin just to put a nice bend in the rod.

While the summer fish (fluke, robin, hordes of ravenous porgies) aren’t here yet, as expected, the traditional Bronx waterfront summer shenanigans are in full swing. Squadrons of Darwin Award hopefuls playing chicken on their jet skis (there have been two jet ski-related fatalities at the local marina in the last several years), barrages of fireworks (gotta especially love my gracious fellow community members who blow off fireworks at night in front of a nursing/rest home for the elderly), and, of course, the “demboats” (my name for the ridiculous customized boats with LED lights and stadium-quality sound systems that slowly cruise back and forth until 4 am all summer shrieking and blasting the same 3 dembow songs continuously at earth-shattering volumes). Not sure what the constant sonic assault does for the fish, but I imagine it can’t be good. 

20 hours ago, JohnW93 said:

I had an epiphany on the water this morning. I stink at this hobby, but still find it to be good for me. Casting into crashing waves as the sun rises is the ultimate escape from reality. Every so often a Striped Bass finds my plug, but either way I feel present. 

Anyway, I worked about a mile of central SS beach this AM with no luck. Few other guys out — I didn’t see them doing much either. Started to get crowded once the fog lifted. 

I feel much the same as you. It’s not that we all stink at this but the lack of bio mass that used to be.

May used to be the month that I would get numbers of teen to 30lb. bass. Today I was happy to get a small slot and some shorts. April was better this season for me with larger fish. Haven’t had a over slot since,

Anyway, much like you I live to be out an smell the salt air, escape from the weekly grind and find a little peace for a couple hours.

The tug at the end of the line is just a bonus. Keep at and enjoy every minute.

On 5/23/2022 at 9:57 AM, GarbageFish said:

i just like watching the sunrise with all of the recovering alcoholics.

We’re all recovering alcoholics until the next drink.

Posted (edited)

Deployed same MO as usual yesterday evening here in the Bx, from around high tide through several hours of the outgoing into the night. Total skunk, yet again, no response to anything. I’m now convinced that there are at least bunker out there, however. After night set in, I could hear telltale “clicks” out in the bay, signs that bunker pods are on the surface. Plus could hear and (when within casting range) even see something hitting the surface making splashes. Unclear to me if these were bass or blues hitting bunker pods, or just the bunker themselves cavorting unmolested. For a couple of hours I threw pencils/poppers and minnows (SP/hydro) over and over on the hopes of something hitting, to no avail. If anything was on the bait out there, they were completely uninterested in what I had to offer. Maybe I need to soak bunker chunks instead, but I don’t particularly enjoy baitfishing for bass. Bait in the water is at least an encouraging sign, given the terrible state of fishing this month for me. I’m hoping that when spawning bass leave the Hudson, they’ll have a reason to swing through here for some juicy bunker. We’ll see. I have to have high hopes for June, as by about July the water here is too warm to have much of a chance of catching bass even in the dead of night. Last year, the “Fall Run” didn’t start for me until literally the day after Thanksgiving (water was so warm I was still catching porgy through the end of October).

Edited by Antek