Jacks

The Season- A rundown 2022

Rate this topic

426 posts in this topic

Burned some gas and did 7 miles of walking today.

Worked the beach at dawn for an hour, not even a touch.

Took a drive and found birds close. Got out and they were moving fast! Got close to them and landed 2 slots to 30”and a short. They moved out to far and that was that.

Drove back and forth all morning until noon, found the birds again at the same spot! Walked out and got a 31” slot but could not keep up. 
Tried to head them off and had to jump twice to get ahead of them. Got onto them good for 2 hours, landed another slot and 16 shorts.

5 hours ago, LowEnd said:

Burned some gas and did 7 miles of walking today.

Worked the beach at dawn for an hour, not even a touch.

Took a drive and found birds close. Got out and they were moving fast! Got close to them and landed 2 slots to 30”and a short. They moved out to far and that was that.

Drove back and forth all morning until noon, found the birds again at the same spot! Walked out and got a 31” slot but could not keep up. 
Tried to head them off and had to jump twice to get ahead of them. Got onto them good for 2 hours, landed another slot and 16 shorts.

Nice, didn’t have the energy today. Tried one spot central SS for nothing. Kept snagging peanut bunker but no fish on them. Skunked for the first time in awhile.

Got into a few shorts early, false dawn the bite shut down. Birds working actively all morning but couldn't reach em at any time. 4hrs later without another touch I called it quits when the only life showing were the 2 seals shadowing my every cast. 

Did the same as yesterday. Skipped first light and drove until I found birds. First two times I found them the boat jockies wrecked it. Finally got a  spot where the birds were right on the beach. Hour and half got 14 shorts and toad at 37”!

Head west and found them again 2 slots to 34” and 2 shorts before they got to far away. Made another jump got 6 more shorts. Soaked and tired. 

8F36628B-43CA-4FE0-984A-C021DFE7AC2E.jpeg

Had bass blowing up on my CC pencil popper just now around dusk. No connections, so I switched to a bone YZ Hydro Pencil. First cast out, I’m walkin’ the dog, and a big blue heron swoops in from above and bombs it. Winds up with the treble stuck in his freakin’ beak. So there I am trying not to panic while reeling in a blue heron. Get him to shore pretty quickly and then he’s attempting to fly and thrashing around while I’m trying to figure out how I can get close enough to him to get the treble out with my pliers without him breaking his neck, wing or leg, or wrapping himself up in the line. After like a minute of this he manages to throw the hook himself; we just stand there staring at each other. He was obviously pretty shook up (and, I assume, re-evaluating his life choices). After a few minutes he got his **** together and flew off over the bay. Looked fine, no problem taking off or flying, so I’m pretty sure he’ll be alright, but JFC. Have had plenty of gulls and terns harass my lures before but never anything like this. 

I took off the cursed Hydro Pencil and swapped it out for a bunker pattern SP. Hooked up right away with a truly obese, lower slot bass. By then dark was setting in and the bite shut off.

49B41CE7-B7C7-4FD6-9B58-3B938AE759A3.jpeg

Edited by Antek

23 hours ago, Antek said:a blue heron. Get him to shore pretty quickly and then he’s attempting to fly and thrashing around while I’m trying to figure out how I can get close enough to him to get the treble out with my pliers without him breaking his neck, wing or leg, or wrapping himself up in the line. After like a minute of this he manages to throw the hook himself; we just stand there staring at each other. He was obviously pretty shook up (and, I assume, re-evaluating his life choices). After a few minutes he got his **** together and flew off over the bay. Looked fine, no problem taking off or flying, so I’m pretty sure he’ll be alright, but JFC. Have had plenty of gulls and terns harass my lures before but never anything like this. 

49B41CE7-B7C7-4FD6-9B58-3B938AE759A3.jpeg

Been through this many times. Sucks!

Got tangled with a Tern, got him un wrapped let him go. He flew 20’ stoped and was like WTF!  Seagull came down and pecked him to death.

Yesterday the birds were so thick I couldn’t throw in there. Tried outside a couple times, no luck. Said F it gonna catch a bird and let it fly. Got the 37” bass instead!

Gave the South Shore a shot this morning but way to weedy and I came undergeared for the surf. Hit the  north Shore for the top of the incoming for one fish  May try the western south shore tomorrow if the surf calms down. . 1BA5171F-097F-472B-8ADA-77708B815A45.jpeg.1ea43872753e98f5c074c349ffcba87d.jpeg

Almost missed an epic bite today because of work. Got to the game late but managed 44 short bass and 16 slots on a 1 oz. BT into the dark.

Fish were at my feet for 2.5 hrs. Don’t even think I made 80 cast, it was pretty much every cast.

Been a long time since I’ve seen a feeding frenzy of this magnitude.

51 mins ago, LowEnd said:

Almost missed an epic bite today because of work. Got to the game late but managed 44 short bass and 16 slots on a 1 oz. BT into the dark.

Fish were at my feet for 2.5 hrs. Don’t even think I made 80 cast, it was pretty much every cast.

Been a long time since I’ve seen a feeding frenzy of this magnitude.

That’s awesome! Fished the south shore for nothing and then hit the north shore. Not a sniff. All I got today was a massive wind knot  . Think I’m finally done unless another big body of fish moves through. 

Yesterday had a few hours to kill in the morning. Searched for birds for 3 hours but couldn’t find them close enough. With family commitments for the afternoon decided to wet a line before I had to head home. Got a 30” bass on a popper.

Today after work found birds on the beach. Landed two shorts both about 27”. Tried to keep up but they were moving too fast. Tried to intercept in the truck but every time I got out there they had passed me.

Still not seeing the death rats yet and have been getting slots just about every time I go.

With all this bait around and the water temp we might still have a couple of weeks of quality fishing left.

14 hours ago, LowEnd said:

Still not seeing the death rats yet and have been getting slots just about every time I go.

With all this bait around and the water temp we might still have a couple of weeks of quality fishing left.

Only birds I found yesterday morning were a good two casts out. Light breeze and calm surf, switched to my neoprene top and waded deep to 2nd bar, still couldn't reach em. Drove west, couldn't find anymore active birds...two quick stops and a couple casts, the lack of whitewater wasn't doing anything for my expectations. Quit as the tide was bottoming out First skunk in over a month, I was due !  Agree haven't caught a micro yet so I'll put in some more time. Gonna pick my times though, nursed a good cold all week from last outing in the pouring rain. 25 degrees at 5am scraping ice from the windshield yesterday, I'm getting to old to enjoy temps like that anymore.

16 hours ago, LowEnd said:

Yesterday had a few hours to kill in the morning. Searched for birds for 3 hours but couldn’t find them close enough. With family commitments for the afternoon decided to wet a line before I had to head home. Got a 30” bass on a popper.

Today after work found birds on the beach. Landed two shorts both about 27”. Tried to keep up but they were moving too fast. Tried to intercept in the truck but every time I got out there they had passed me.

You fishing way west? Haven't seen much of anything around

These bird fish seem to pulled everything away when they leaves. A bit strange that there are no stragglers. Once the bird leaves, zip, kaput. 

4 hours ago, hobobob said:

These bird fish seem to pulled everything away when they leaves. A bit strange that there are no stragglers. Once the bird leaves, zip, kaput. 

There are still a few stragglers further east but they are few and far between. Been skunked the last few times I’ve been out including yesterday but have seen others catch.  I feel like there are still a few that should be passing by. Still haven’t seen those micro rat fish.