Kastmaster split rings?

Rate this topic

Angling Addicts

22 hours ago, hobobob said:

You do realized who specify the price and components specs right?  I am not going to pay $20 for a simple chunk of metal. Even at the current price, it's a bit high.

Don't know where you're going with this reply........But i was strictly speaking to the product today since being made overseas.  Price and availability aside, the quality of the Kastmaster has gone south since its' production in China........like every other thing made over there.  :th:

Edited by yogiiiboy

On 5/21/2022 at 0:00 AM, Angling Addicts said:

hi guys..so managed i managed to source some 4101 stainless split rings ( as suggest by @BG_NJ  ) ..they were much easier to install than other splits i've tried (eg Owner etc)...i was able to get the 4101 split rings on the Kastmaster with much less difficulty..however..the split ring barely fit into the hole and i felt it did not have enough movement because the hole was very small in diameter..

so i drilled out the hole on the Kastmaster by +1.5mm and then tried to install the splits..OMG the split ring installed so easily !!

628861c824155_kastmaster4.jpg.d90cc79dab8c11827d343a95887c743b.jpgAbove was before enlarging the hole...pictures are the stock rings.

6288620c88ff6_kastmaster3.jpg.fa219853166ba32d82c2255476ba0e68.jpg

Holes enlarged by +1.5mm

kastmaster.jpg.a8f4493491043d4e872827670c0ec25f.jpg

Finished item above...the split ring has plenty of free movement now!!!

below are the splits you'd need for 1 & 1.5oz Kastmaster (fits both sizes if holes are enlarged) and the web site i got them from..

628862dd63b40_kastmaster2.jpg.37e72235a15f598a0de6183e5a7ce1de.jpg

Very grateful to all who took the time to help...just thought i'd update this thread as there may be others who were having the same issues..hopefully this info will help !!

Very nice pictorial guide! Sorry my split ring recommendation reco required some modification to the kastmaster but looks like you found a good solution and can now toss the Chicom hardware in the trash where it belongs!

13 hours ago, BG_NJ said:

Very nice pictorial guide! Sorry my split ring recommendation reco required some modification to the kastmaster but looks like you found a good solution and can now toss the Chicom hardware in the trash where it belongs!

the splits you recommended work even without enlarging the holes mate, MUCH easier to install compared to regular split ring brands..but enlarging the holes by just that little bit makes it super easy to get the split ring on!!

On 5/22/2022 at 9:34 AM, Cascade said:

This works for me. I buy cheaper SS split rings that have a smaller ga.  wire that are large enough to allow action. Attach to lure and may have to do the reverse ring trick. I then squeeze the ring shut and touch it with some SS solder. Never failed. I haven't been able to find any reliable open SS solid wire rings used on older tins and some plugs. Anybody?

Check out a site called Surface iron.   They have alot of ss open rings in sizes & gauges.  

What are u using for solder?  I tried 2ton epoxy and failed.   Going with solder & torch next.  

On 5/22/2022 at 11:41 PM, Angling Addicts said:

3/4oz and 1oz Kastmaster doing good the last two outings. i've upgraded the hardware (splits-hooks-bucktail). good light tackle fun!! Over here in my country (Sri Lanka), the Kastmaster works really great for a lot of species..Literally the only lure you need to fish from the shore..

282568897_10159003584237809_507330014250398056_n.jpg

281778077_10159003584182809_6450432850298110688_n.jpg

gotagama big gt.jpg

gotagama.jpg

barracuda 5.jpg

barracuda 4.jpg

Awesome stuff!

Edited by PSegnatelli

You have to use silver solder and silver solder flux. You can buy a small kit from hardware store but a bit of a rip-off. If solder is dried out just add a few drops of water and mix it up. I will check out Surface Iron, the only open rings I have found are jewelry grade. They call them "jump rings" .

BTW I had no luck with propane torch, not enough heat, and had to use acetylene in a B tank. Good luck.