Kastmaster split rings?

Rate this topic

Angling Addicts

4 hours ago, EricDice said:

That’s a good option. Put one on, bend the lipped thing closed with pliers. 

Leave the clip on there until showing signs of failure or aging. 

still leaves the hook side though. I would use the biggest & sturdiest split that will work inside the hole on that side. 

Spro, rosco or rasco. Sometimes they get stretched out. I can usually get the split back in shape by coiling it up with pliers a few times. 

bending the ends close is a great idea! thank you

2 hours ago, BG_NJ said:

Yeah search “4101 Stainless Steel Split Rings” at the place that sells lure parts online. Believe I was able to fit that one in size 7 (100 lb) In the bottom of a 1 oz kastmaster and it’s able to spin.

These aren’t the top shelf rings that guys buy for big plugs but they are def strong than those flimsy garbage ones that come stock on kastmaster. I hate them so much they really cheese up what’s otherwise a classic fish producing lure. 

great info. actually found the rings you suggested. trying to buy some :) thank you very much for the info..

1 hour ago, ReyAztecaNY said:

Why not smaller split ring to the solid ring? I know we want to get it as close to the original design as possible but would the action be impacted that dramatically? 

I haven’t seen a kastmaster with a solid ring. At least, I know for certain that the ones I have bought in the last few years are a split ring front and back. 

Those stock splits and the hooks are worthless. Tested the treble on one of those & it split at the weld. (Tested is a loose term here. Haha. It got snagged in a fishing backpack when I stupidly put it in without any barrier/etc.)

That said, a split ring on a tin is generally subjected to much less force than the belly treble hook of a plug where the lure body often becomes a lever with us unwittingly prying the hook out of the fish’s mouth from the other end. 

In other words, unlike that lever type of deal with a belly hook, the force applied to the split on a tin is generally in a straight line back toward your rod.

It’s probably possible for a spoon hook to get set or wedged within the fish’s mouth in various different extreme & unlikely scenarios that create additional leverage on the split / hook etc. 

I personally am inclined to believe that all reasonable hooks or splits — which still allow the spoon to do its thing —would fail in one of those extreme scenarios.

Your mileage may vary YMMV

3 hours ago, Angling Addicts said:

great info. actually found the rings you suggested. trying to buy some :) thank you very much for the info..

Np. Depending on the size of the spoon and your specific split ring pliers, the rings may get deformed in getting them on but you can just do the reverse trick to reset them easily. 

• 1 month later...

hi guys..so managed i managed to source some 4101 stainless split rings ( as suggest by @BG_NJ  ) ..they were much easier to install than other splits i've tried (eg Owner etc)...i was able to get the 4101 split rings on the Kastmaster with much less difficulty..however..the split ring barely fit into the hole and i felt it did not have enough movement because the hole was very small in diameter..

so i drilled out the hole on the Kastmaster by +1.5mm and then tried to install the splits..OMG the split ring installed so easily !!

628861c824155_kastmaster4.jpg.d90cc79dab8c11827d343a95887c743b.jpgAbove was before enlarging the hole...pictures are the stock rings.

6288620c88ff6_kastmaster3.jpg.fa219853166ba32d82c2255476ba0e68.jpg

Holes enlarged by +1.5mm

kastmaster.jpg.a8f4493491043d4e872827670c0ec25f.jpg

Finished item above...the split ring has plenty of free movement now!!!

below are the splits you'd need for 1 & 1.5oz Kastmaster (fits both sizes if holes are enlarged) and the web site i got them from..

628862dd63b40_kastmaster2.jpg.37e72235a15f598a0de6183e5a7ce1de.jpg

Very grateful to all who took the time to help...just thought i'd update this thread as there may be others who were having the same issues..hopefully this info will help !!

These problems arise with the Kastmasters made in China........absolute junk!!  I'm wondering if the lure is actually 100% brass anymore??

Try and find the older Made in the USA ones.............ready to go out of the package.

5 mins ago, yogiiiboy said:

These problems arise with the Kastmasters made in China........absolute junk!!  I'm wondering if the lure is actually 100% brass anymore??

Try and find the older Made in the USA ones.............ready to go out of the package.

They looks to be brass core..i could see gold shavings when drilling out the holes. you're right...the hardware that comes with the spoons now are total junk for sure. it would be next to impossible to find an old stock of these mate. i prefer to dress the spoon myself..so in future will just buy the plain lure (without hard ware).

24 mins ago, yogiiiboy said:

You do realized who specify the price and components specs right?  I am not going to pay $20 for a simple chunk of metal. Even at the current price, it's a bit high.

6 hours ago, Angling Addicts said:

They looks to be brass core..i could see gold shavings when drilling out the holes. you're right...the hardware that comes with the spoons now are total junk for sure. it would be next to impossible to find an old stock of these mate. i prefer to dress the spoon myself..so in future will just buy the plain lure (without hard ware).

Kastmasters were always brass if I recall correctly

I purchase the imitation Kastmasters  by the pack  of 10 what I would have to pay for one real Kastmaster..  And when the imitation is broken or bit off it doesn't hurt my pocket...  Plus the ones I purchase swim very well.. And on all my lures that have treble hooks on them I cut two of the three hooks off the treble hook and fish with just a single hook..

Edited by sytheteacher

This works for me. I buy cheaper SS split rings that have a smaller ga.  wire that are large enough to allow action. Attach to lure and may have to do the reverse ring trick. I then squeeze the ring shut and touch it with some SS solder. Never failed. I haven't been able to find any reliable open SS solid wire rings used on older tins and some plugs. Anybody?