Angling Addicts

Kastmaster split rings?

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Hi guys, hoping someone could help me out!

i love using my 1-1.5oz kastmaster spoons on the surf. i often find the factory hooks/splits  get rusty very fast which is a shame cos kastmasters are not cheap.

I've tried to change out the split rings on the kastmasters..but i find that in order to get the split ring on the spoon..i have to use a very big split (owner #8-9)..even then its a mission to get the split ring on. the large size split rings also don't allow for much free movement of the hook as the hole on the spoon (where split ring fits) is not very large in diameter.. i've considered drilling out the hole (making it larger) in order to get the split ring on easier..but i don't want to weaken the spoon by doing so...

what split rings do you guys upgrade to on the smaller 1-1.5oz spoons? the factory rings are thin wire and large diamter..so they are easy to put on/take off...are there any upgraded split rings i can use which are also thin wire/large diameter, but stronger than the original splits?

any help greatly appreciated...many thanks in advance...

When I'm done using my lures I wash them off with soap and hot water.. Then I dry them off and give all the lure a very light coat of olive oil... I have lures that are all dinged up from years of very ruff use but not a drop of rust on them..

Posted (edited) · Report post

Split rings on Kastmaster is indeed an issue, best solution there is to weld a solid  O ring with the right size not too big or small to allow the free movement of the tin.

You can also remove the factory split ring and tie a wide enough discreet loop on leader.

Kastmaster when properly rigged is one of the top tins one can use. 

Edited by carangua

47 mins ago, carangua said:

Split rings on Kastmaster is indeed in issue, best solution there is to weld a solid  O ring with the right size not too big or small to allow the free movement of the tin.

You can also remove the factory split ring and tie a wide enough discreet loop on leader.

Kastmaster when properly rigged is one of the top tins one can use. 

Hi thank you so much for the tips!! appreciate it very much. they are great..i am from the tropics and i use them for gt/trevally off the beach. they go mad when they see a kastmaster haha

1 min ago, Surf bomber said:

Will the oval shaped  breakaway slip type snap fit ?

Hi, i've never tried..but where are you going with this? i am little confused haha (i am no expert)

Posted (edited) · Report post

Kastmaster has gone way down the chitter IMO.  I stopped buyin em altogether.  

I've gone to traditional swimming tins from Tinman Tackle, Point Jude, Charlie Graves) & Hopkins Shorties. 

They come with legit hooks & rings. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

11 hours ago, BG_NJ said:

thin but relatively large split ring on bottom, dog bone wire twist for the line tie

Any recommendation for thin wire (but strong) split ring to try out?

10 hours ago, Mike Mendez said:

Why not just remove the split ring and use a duo lock snap?

snap.JPG

Hi mike, the above would fit..but given i'd have to use a fairly large snap-lock..do you think it would affect the action of the spoon? these are going on smaller 1-1.5oz spoons..probably wont make any different on the larger size spoons as they have a very strong swimming action..

15 hours ago, Mike Mendez said:

Why not just remove the split ring and use a duo lock snap?

snap.JPG

That’s a good option. Put one on, bend the lipped thing closed with pliers. 

Leave the clip on there until showing signs of failure or aging. 

still leaves the hook side though. I would use the biggest & sturdiest split that will work inside the hole on that side. 

Spro, rosco or rasco. Sometimes they get stretched out. I can usually get the split back in shape by coiling it up with pliers a few times. 

11 hours ago, Angling Addicts said:

Any recommendation for thin wire (but strong) split ring to try out?

Yeah search “4101 Stainless Steel Split Rings” at the place that sells lure parts online. Believe I was able to fit that one in size 7 (100 lb) In the bottom of a 1 oz kastmaster and it’s able to spin.

These aren’t the top shelf rings that guys buy for big plugs but they are def strong than those flimsy garbage ones that come stock on kastmaster. I hate them so much they really cheese up what’s otherwise a classic fish producing lure.