Whole Fly Line Challenge.

Rate this topic

Mike Oliver

But isn't it funny that there are situations out there where even if you are casting the whole fly line you end up 10meters short 77% of the time:) . Sure some pick up a spinning rod when it's like that but some stick to it and don't quit and that is where real Life progress is made. 

Of course the most productive fishing is usually done with shorter casts. Sometimes the fish just don't co-operative with this idea.

Btw, line management and the role of the "beer boy" is crucial when fishing those mega long, full fly line casts in real life fishing situations. This of course only applies to boat fishing.

Mike,

Well, the 75’ if you would just happen to read that being not knowing the conditions. I would not be too impressed to read about 100m dash world champion winning with a time around 14 seconds (if they would have to run in a swamp or uphill). 14s for 100m seems just slow. Not impressed. And these dudes should be top runners? Ha!

Personally I like still conditions as they are the most even (and I used to be bad doing spey in the wind until 2017 or 2018) for everybody even thou it is an outdoor sport, where conditions always play a role. Casting both ways would increase the risk of condition discrepancy between competitors and it would also mean more courts and judges. It’s a small sport with very limited resources, so I don’t see it very viable option.

Cumbria was a complete oddball compared to the 4 previous WC competitions for both the wind conditions and the overhead casting being cast from land elevated much above the water.

I would prefer casting wading in very shallow water too. Also the equipment could be revised a bit in most events as they are quite heavy stuff compared to most fishing. But then again, many have invested a lot in the equipment already.

I have to say it is effin’ enjoyable when you get to the groove in 15’ spey casting training and keep hitting about 200ft time and time again with a small effort in mild downwind conditions.

Been away from this board. Just saw this Lll....o...nnn.....gg thread. For many who would want to cast significantly farther learn the Sayonara Sling which is a presentation backcast. You can load the rod more and with more control with it and use the body better. The rod gets longer with it too. I cast WAY farther with it than I do with the traditional  forward cast presentation. I really believe it's superior to the traditional one. I'll have a video out on it - and how to do it - sometime in the next couple or few months. The cast is insanely accurate too, like on super long distance as well. Because of one component - it HAS to be. Those who have been at one of my casting demonstrations know what I am talking about. Want to learn it? Come see me. I'll be at River Bay Outfitters next Saturday May 21, in Baldwin, Long Island, NY. Another thing.... why do all of you have to do the same thing as everybody else? Why haven't you tried another way? Where's the creativity?

Also. You have to line up the rod (that REALLY works FOR YOU) with the right line (you have to find out which one it is - it will be different taper, different head length, different maker - for each rod). YOU find it. Sometimes it'll be a Distance (expert) taper, and sometimes a Rio Salmon Steelhead, or a Wulff TT (40 ft. head), or a Sci Ang. Striper Taper (120 ft., 28 ft. head), or Cortland 444SL. Doesn't matter - it's about which individual line casts best on the rod you cast best with. And all those lines - even for the SAME line - are different from each other, Cast five, say WF - 9 - F Wulff TT, (40 ft. head) lines and they will all be a little different from eachother. Or same Sci Angler line - anybody's. The third critical distance component is weight of reel. You fine tune this. Usually lighter is better, but not always. Sometimes a little heavier works better. Fractions of an ounce can be significant here. You go out there and test all this stuff out there on a field. What's important is the COMBINATION of the three that gives you the most optimal performance. It's like with weight balancing flies. The way Gunnar describes it in that video. It's the same (as with flies) with fly tackle for best distance results for greatest distance and control for YOU. More so because you're experimenting and fine tuning for YOU. And this REALLY makes a difference! This isn't as complex as it sounds. Just go out there and try different lines and weight reels. And if you haven't tried it, go out and cast a bunch of different rods to get a feel for what you like.

Marco Cedati

• 2 weeks later...