ged

2022 Hunting

Rate this topic

160 posts in this topic

1 min ago, JTR said:

Yeah I agree. If Ruger was good with puppies, we’d already have another. But he’s just a grumpy old man when it comes to puppies. Gonna be a couple years until I have another dog ready to hunt.

Its tough, We have had seven different labs over the years.  Some I hunted, or ran trials with, others just great companions.  We have been lucky so far in that they all have gotten along, we pretty much always have two at a time. Been fortunate that older dogs have always excepted the pup unconditionally.

BTW, my daughter has a yellow named Ruger.

First time I've ever shot 2 deer in the same day.  Last Wednesday evening (I waited 6 days to avoid a spot burn) i shot a small button buck and a big doe all within about an hours time. 
The button came by alone around 5pm, having promised myself last year I wasn't passing anything up, thinking this might be the only deer I see this year,  I took him at 18 yards and heard him crash in the swamp. (and he did only go about 50 yards)
Well then another button buck came trotting happily up another path right to the base of my stand.  I had to look hard to see if it was he same one!  but he had no holes in him.   I carefully took a cellphone picture, flubbed up the picture, and then less carefully (luckily buttons are still pretty dumb) and let him feed his way under my stand and out to the field.
I watched another buck come up that same path but he never turned my way, just marched on down the line towards another field.
Then a little past 6:00 these four does appeared out of nowhere! (they're so quiet), two of them were big, so I took the first big one that gave me a shot.

Sorry I didn't think to get pictures till we had them dressed and in the truck :/

hunt2022_1.jpg

hunt2022_2.jpg

hunt2022_3.jpg

IMG_0611.jpg

My fishing season ends as soon as duck season opens. Probably missing some good action, but I prefer the birds. Season has started off well for us, we put in a lot of sweat/time/blood building a new blind, and it has been paying off.

IMG-9078.JPEG

Didn't pheasant season just start?

I happened to drive by a few normally popular spots on what I thought was opening day. Beautiful weather too. Only saw one car and nobody working cover in view of the road. Normally I see groups of guys, several dogs, lots of trucks. Almost approaching Bolton Flats level. Ok, in miniature, but still.....

Anyway I'm surprised. As far as I know, it's still a pretty hunter friendly town. Duck hunters use the river. Not sure why the pheasant hunters weren't out.

20 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Didn't pheasant season just start?

I happened to drive by a few normally popular spots on what I thought was opening day. Beautiful weather too. Only saw one car and nobody working cover in view of the road. Normally I see groups of guys, several dogs, lots of trucks. Almost approaching Bolton Flats level. Ok, in miniature, but still.....

Anyway I'm surprised. As far as I know, it's still a pretty hunter friendly town. Duck hunters use the river. Not sure why the pheasant hunters weren't out.

Yeah, I’m not in with a crowd that does much of it, it’s unsporting(to me) to hunt birds with no inclination to fly(pen raised birds). Also, pheasant stocked areas are much like the canal, over-used and can be down right unsafe.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, mikez2 said:

Not sure why the pheasant hunters weren't out.

Must have all been up here. First small area I wanted to hunt Saturday (opening day) already had 6 trucks parked a half hour before legal shooting time. Went to a different spot that's actually bigger and there were just 2 other vehicles there. 

I went 1-3. Pretty bad I guess on birds that don't fly.  :shrug:

20221015_090052.jpg

Edited by Eagles Dare

1 min ago, Eagles Dare said:

Must have all been up here. First small area I wanted to hunt Saturday (opening day) already had 6 trucks parked a half hour before legal shooting time. Went to a different spot that's actually bigger and there were just 2 other vehicles there. 

It occurs to me that I was out around noon. Maybe I missed seeing the morning shift.

7 hours ago, MrJingles said:

My fishing season ends as soon as duck season opens. Probably missing some good action, but I prefer the birds. Season has started off well for us, we put in a lot of sweat/time/blood building a new blind, and it has been paying off.

IMG-9078.JPEG

Nice looking dog. American field trial lines?

15 hours ago, Eagles Dare said:

20221015_090052.jpg

Maybe I've been unlucky, but hunting with a pointer, having to kick up a pheasant and have it go 3 feet in the air, land and start running has been the routine and 90% of the stocked birds I shot.

1 hour ago, MrJingles said:

Maybe I've been unlucky, but hunting with a pointer, having to kick up a pheasant and have it go 3 feet in the air, land and start running has been the routine and 90% of the stocked birds I shot.

When I was a kid I went with my dad to the Bolton flats. We hunted over a Brittany. 

By my observations, he was the only trained dog out there. 

The SOP seemed to be to take a totally untrained dog that refused to obey commands, release it into the field, then chase it all day screaming F bombs and ignored commands. 

I  remember getting our limit within 10 minutes, in sight of the car.

I remember our dog going into locked on point over freshly shot dead birds that other guys had shot and lost.

I remember pellets raining on our heads after guys on the other side of the cover shot at birds we had flushed, well out of their range.

Surprisingly, I have no interest in joining that circus these days.

Thankfully neither of those scenarios is what I've experienced over the last 4 seasons. There are a couple of very popular WMA's nearby that I avoid. They probably collect all the morons.

Posted (edited)

37 mins ago, Eagles Dare said:

Thankfully neither of those scenarios is what I've experienced over the last 4 seasons. There are a couple of very popular WMA's nearby that I avoid. They probably collect all the morons.

Me too.  Been hunting birds since 1963 over our dogs.  Had a herd of black dogs, a couple were knuckleheads. But all of which I miss dearly.  Esp this fall, since I'm dogless for the first time in my life.

Here's Charlie when he was a couple years old, and my beard not so grey. Beautiful dog.

FB_IMG_1654386529905.jpg

Edited by bob_G

2nd year really focusing on deer. Arrowed the first two deer of my life so far. A button buck and a nice doe. Have also seen a number of big bucks but haven’t felt comfortable with the shot. Good to see others having some luck as well

B9AFCB73-AED9-48E2-8DB5-73FAE35425CF.jpeg

F42D83F3-9A6D-4EB8-87B5-44C1F4937560.jpeg

Not sure I have checked in since turkey season to this forum. I didn’t fish very much this year but hunting is closer to home. First deer of the season and first photo op I hope of many with my daughter. Filled 1 of 2 antlerless tags a few minutes into legal shooting light Saturday morning. I had her meandering around before sun up. B54E2676-3F03-48AE-A8BE-33B682B13A84.jpeg.c8731fb28a74bc53430a044f543ac6dd.jpeg
F61CC7D3-7FA2-4588-9375-5672B9B06F53.jpeg.6b373400100f269bf9f00f5f79841360.jpeg

Nice shooting guys. Great to see venison. I have youth ML with my son in RI this weekend. Hoping to update with some pictures. Pheasant season is off to a nice start for the boy.